Ashtanga Yoga Poses ? Are we really doing yoga?

@ Eddiespaghetti
Wonderful you mentioned this, I?ve had related thoughts swirling my head lately. Many formula come to the same conclusion, ?All (even though finite) roads lead to Rome? yet yogic paths may be infinite. I?m thankful to those before us realizing I need not waste time reinventing the wheel, grateful for the non-bias system, guidelines and approach of yoga that has become entangled in human consciousness. Personally each limb of the eight-fold path has quenched anxiety, desperation and suffering inherent to this world. Somehow I feel even if one is to obtain so called ?enlightenment? it does not guarantee permanence, one can stumble from grace just as one can recover. Throughout the yoga community I?ve come across well read knowledgeable intellects that are decisive in thought, articulate in explanation and charismatic in presentation of the conceptual. There?s no doubt certain individuals possess keen intellectual awareness allowing them to decipher and comprehend complex modus operandi but I wonder about the sense of rigidness and finalism they sometimes project, I?ll admit finding thought provoking insight in their comments and concepts but I?m bothered by the sense of intimidation they sometimes trigger, realizing this is more of an inner self (ego/id/me) problem than theirs. I view myself more scientific then mystical but I sense we?re born not only with intellectual (mindful) intelligence but also genetic (instinctive) intelligence, neither being more important than the other. Pondering; ?does successful navigation of the yogic path require rigorous and regimented sacrifice along with extraordinary intellectual skills to decipher intricate sometimes overwhelming complexities or can a more instinctive intrinsic path be a better means, perhaps somewhere in between the answer lies?? BTW, If you every want to escape that dreadful island of yours and visit the mainland "You’ve Got a Friend in Pennsylvania? I eagerly await a similar invite to the ?Aloha State?, snicker!

Ashtanga yoga literally means "eight-limbed yoga," as outlined by the sage Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras. The purpose of purification of the body and mind
This yoga benefit includes strength, flexibility, stress management, and inner peace.

The Eightfold path

1. Yama or the moral rules of conduct
  2. Niyama or self purification and self-regulation
  3. Asana or posture
  4. Pranayama or breath control
  5. Pratyahara or withdrawal from senses
  6. Dharana or concentration
  7. Dhyana or a state of deep meditation
  8. Samadhi or stage of total absorption

I am often asked to recommend poses for people to do at home, or in classes. I always say "Ashtanga Yoga." The reason is that the poses are designed to develop strength, flexibility, and balance. Each pose has an obvious purpose: to stretch, strengthen, or balance one part of the body.

But if you don't know the name of the pose or what its purpose is supposed to be, it can be hard to figure out what you are doing. But if you know the name of the pose and how it works, most of these poses will be easy. This is why I recommend Ashtanga Yoga.

A yoga pose is a physical movement that leads to a mental state. "Ashtanga" is the name of the yoga system that emphasizes the quality of the poses more than their location in space. It's not just about how you do them, but what they do to you.

The father of yoga Mahrishi Patanjali is clear:
II.29 yama-niyamâsana-prâñâyâma-pratyâhâra-dhârañâ-dhyâna-samâdhayo ‘æøâv aògâni
yama = external discipline
niyama = internal discipline
âsana = posture
prâñâyâma = breath regulation
pratyâhâra = withdrawal of the senses
dhârañâ = concentration
dhyana = meditative absorption
samâdhayaï = oneness, integration
aæøâu = eight
aògâni = limbs
The eight components of yoga are external discipline, internal discipline, posture, breath regulation, concentration, meditative absorption, and integration.
YOGA SUTRAS