Christian and yoga?

I think it is pretty clear Yoga is Hinduism. If you are practicing Yoga properly sooner or later you will arrive at exactly the same truths of Hinduism. Hinduism and Yoga cannnot be divorced because Yoga is based purely on Hindu philosophy. It is a technique that was developed out Hindu philosophy. It is rooted in Hindu and Hindu derived philosophies like Buddhism and Jainism.

Is that a bad thing? No, because Hinduism is not a religion. It is a spiritual science with spiritual technologies, that was developed and maintained in India, but could have been developed anywhere else in the universe. It does not matter what beliefs you have, what is your object of worship, what is your language, what is your culture. Hinduism can be studied and practiced without having to change any of these particular things. However, what will change is your general understanding of god, reality, purpose of life. You will become more open to pantheism, reincarnation and attitudes like living in harmony with nature and psychic powers.

The reason this will happen because all of these things are real and natural law. This is why Hinduism is called Santana dharma: eternal natural law. Obviously this is going to clash with Abrahamic religion. A great Sufi yogi once said, “I am the truth” and he was beheaded for it. Jesus Christ, another great yogi, was crucified for saying similar things. Both were born in Abrahamic religion and cultures, but their practice of Yoga was inevitably going to lead them to turning against the orthodoxy.

Also google this and read the Article Yoga and Christianity. Are they Compatible? It has an interesting read comparing the two.

Wendy (original poster)
…see what I’m saying? Make sure that the underlying philosophy of the teacher / guru / instructor leading your Yoga classes does not directly conflict with your religious beliefs. Some will (as you may have picked up above) and others will not.
Chose wisely and enjoy your journey!!

Your Brother
John

I am Hindu. What’s astonishing to me that there are non-Hindus who know more about Hinduism than I do. Shame on me!

Sanatana Dharma, meaning “Eternal or Universal Righteousness” is the original name of what is now popularly called Hinduism.

Hinduism and Yoga cannnot be divorced because Yoga is based purely on Hindu philosophy…Is that a bad thing? No, because Hinduism is not a religion.

This is news to me. Looking around the internet, one gets the impression that Hinduism is replete with Gods and temples and priests and people who love to worship. I think that’s why most people do consider Hinduism to be a religion. That’s exactly why people in the west have divorced yoga from Hinduism, because we are mainly Christian, and cannot accept other gods or forms of worship. In my readings of Indian philosophy, the various philosophical schools are referred to as Indian, not Hindu. I’m beginning to understand that this upsets Hindu people. But one of the charactreristics of the philosophical works is that they don’t mention the various gods and goddess and religious rituals. So it seems that even in India, yoga exists outside the Hindu religion. In other words, yoga may be included in Hinduism, but Hinduism isn’t included in yoga, in the same way that Buddhism isn’t included in yoga. I understand that this is painful for Hindu nationalists to hear, but it is absolutely necessary in order for yoga to be accepted in other cultures. The Indian people should be proud that this part of their culture has gained such wide acceptance around the world.

There is a superficial understanding of Hinduism as a polytheistic religion that worships a pantheon of gods and goddesses using idols as its primary means. This is the understanding of people who are not very learned in Hinduism.

Then there is a learned and considered understanding of Hinduism, as a henotheistic philosophy that worships a single god using multiple methods, but that is manifest in infinite forms. This is also found in the Rig Veda, “Truth is one, and the wise call it by name names” There are 330 million of these forms recognised by Hindus, and of these 330 million forms the principal forms are Shiva, Vishnu, Duga, which respectively are the deities of the three main traditions of Hinduism: Shivaism, Vaishvaism and Shaktism. All traditions accept several methods of worship: tantra, yantra, yoga, mantra, idol worship and accept several scriptures agamas, shastras, puranas, vedas. It will become clear then Hinduism is not defined by any particular diety, methods or ways, any scripture or founder, or language. Thus Hinduism has no problem embracing the deities, methods or scriptures of any other religion. If a Hindu wanted to accept Jesus as their deity, Hinduism would have no problem with this. In fact Hinduism has the concept of Ishtadevata which means one can choose any object of worship of their choice, even a living person if they wish.

How Hinduism is defined is by its genera philosophy which all Hindu traditions embrace. That is dharma, karma, reincarnation and yoga. Dharma is eternal laws and principles that one should live in harmony with; karma is the law of cause and effect; reincarnation defines ones goal in life as to escape the cycle of birth and rebirth and yoga is any kind of valid technique through which one can attain to the utimate goal of moksha/salvation. These in turn are based on the Upanishadic and Dashana philosophy(aka Vedic or Hindu phiosophy)

It is called Indian philosophy when you are dealing with both Hindu philosophy and Buddhist, Jain and other non-vedic philosophies. But if you are only dealing with the Darshanas, then it is called Hindu or Vedic philosophy. The division between Vedic and non-vedic philosophy is known as astika and nastika(orthodox and non-orthodox) If they are combined together, they are given the secular term, “Indian philosophy”

So it should become clear now Hinduism is its philosophy. More correctly understood, it is a philosophical religion. It is based on generals, not particulars. It does not matter which deity you worship, which scriptures you read, which method you use in Hinduism, this is why there is so much pluralism. What does matter is the core philosophy which is there is a sef, which is infinite and the source of all that is good, and it is our goal in life to realise the sef, and we can use anything that helps us in this journey.

If you believe in reincarnation, eternal laws, cause and effect, chakras, meditation, mantra, yoga, astral planes you are adopting Hindu beliefs. However, they are no more beliefs, than the law of gravity is a belief. These are truths that one will discover in any valid spiritual tradition.

Even the word “philosophy” to describe Hinduism is problematic. As philosophy carries the connotations of being simply a system of thought. However, Hinduism does not call itself a system of thought, but an articulation of eternal laws and principles, which are real and therefore it is more accurate to call it science. Indeed, the many words Hinduism uses to describe itself are vidya, jnana, tantra, all carrying systematic scientific connotations.

The science of Hinduism is Samkhya, which is based on a kind of observational physics. Like normal empirical science, through observation of the natural world, it is possible to discover how the world works, such as objects falling according to the law of gravity. However, there is much that is unseen in the world that one cannot know through empirical observation. The ancient Samkhya scientists were aware of this and discovered a method by which the unseen can be known, which what we today call “meditation” They showed that reality consisted of two irreducible substances consciousness and matter, which marked the distinction between knower and known; seer and seen; conscious and unconscious. However, they knew a fundamental error had taken place, because despite the fact that these two substances were ontologically distinct, it appears that consciousness was embodied within matter. They recognised that this embodiment was not a real phenomenon, but was illlusory or unreal(from which the concept of Maya comes from) and this illusion could be undone by becoming aware of oneself as the seer, in other words suspending oneself in a state of awareness(meditation basically) and by doing this one will automatically begin to revert back to the pure state of being and realise the sef.

So how do we suspend ourself in a state of awareness? The Samkhya understood that what prevents awareness from happening was thought activity in the mind. The natural habit of the mind to jump from thought to thought(monkey mind) Therefore in order to remain in awareness the thought activity had to be gradually stopped. Then they realised this coud be done by concentrating on a singe object. It did not matter what the object was, it could have been the word “cat” the aim was to enter into trance and one would then be in suspended awareness. The longer one could maintain that, the closer they came to realising the true state of being.

There are several ways through which this can be accomplished, and in Hinduism they are known as Yogas. Bhakti Yoga is where your object of worship is a chosen deity, and you completely and uttery dedicate yoursef to your deity, eat, drink and breathe your deity. Chant the name of the deity throughut the day. Raja Yoga is meditation. Karma Yoga is where your object is sefless love, where you dedicate yourself to the service of others absolutely(like a saint) Jnana Yoga is where you dedicate yoursef to philosophy and self-analysis, systematically and gradually rooting out all false conceptions of reality and your self(neti neti). Kriya yoga is where you directly work on Kundalini energy through postures, breath work and visualization, in order to awaken it and reach enlightenment. Nada Yoga is where you attain the divine through music, singing, meditating on sound. There are many more Yogas.

If you are doing any of these Yogas already, you are doing Hindu things.

This is what Laruette Willis, the creator of praise moves> very interesting outtake on yoga anbd Christianity. Go to the praise moves website to read more about if you want more. WHy the christian alternative to yoga. Intereting outtake on this.

"From experience I can say that yoga is a dangerous practice for the Christian and leads seekers away from God rather than to Him. You may say, ?Well, I?m not doing any of the meditation stuff. I?m just following the exercises.? It is impossible, however, to separate the subtleties of yoga the technique from yoga the religion. I know because I taught and practiced hatha yoga for years. Hatha yoga is the most popular yoga style available on store-bought videos and in most gyms. For an eye-opening account of the background and meaning of ?hatha yoga,? please see my notes at the bottom of this page.

Perhaps you have sensed uneasiness while doing yoga (what some call a ?check in your spirit?), but you ignored that quiet nudge. I urge you to pay attention to it. Jesus Himself said, ??the sheep follow Him, for they know His voice? (John 10:4).

The yoga mudra (hand gesture or ?gateway?) for Namaste (?I bow to the divine in you?), is a Hindu gesture that pre-dates Christianity. The Bible speaks of praying with uplifted hands or ?hands spread up toward heaven? (1 Kings 8: 22 and 54; 1 Chronicles 6:13)

?Let my prayer be set before You as incense, The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice? Psalm 145:1

Your yoga teacher may bow to her class saying, ?Namaste? (?I bow to the divine in you.?). Postures have names such as Savasana (the Corpse Pose) and Bhujangasana (the Cobra or Snake Pose). References are made to chakras or ?power centers? in the body, such as the ?third eye.? The relaxation and visualization session at the end of yoga classes is skillfully designed to ?empty the mind? and can open one up to harmful spiritual influences.

Very interesting view even quotes bible verses.

“As Christians, you are instructed to ?be transformed by the renewing of your mind? (Romans 12:2), not the emptying of your mind. Many believe that transformation process occurs as we meditate and feed on the Word of God ? renewing our minds by filling them with God?s thoughts, not emptying them or filling them with the prideful thoughts of man.”

Anyway this a sample of one view point. there are many many more.,

सूर्यदेवजी मूर्खो के बीच मौन रहने मे ही भलाई है :slight_smile:

where ignorance is bliss tis folly to be wise

Though [U]extremely [/U]interesting, the last many posts are straying a GREAT deal from Wendy’s original post.

Might I suggest:
Take the subject of your views of Hindu & Yoga and create it’s own thread. That way others interested in Wendy’s question can find things relevant to that subject
and
those interested in “Is yoga a strictly Hindu system” can find it and contribute to it??

Yoga is universal. It can’t be otherwise. Those who claim it as their own are silly.

So you go tell Becky Jo Bob and Billy Ray Cypress to park it.

Jeez if they only knew that the book is littered, and I mean Littered with yogic refrences.

Revelation is FULL OF THEM. LOL.

“And let thine eye be single and your body shall be full of light!” LOL

“And they shall speak in tounges and handle snakes without fear” or something like that.

Snake = THE SHAKTI! Homage to the Shakti.

Tounges = Involuntary mantra. LOL

Immunity to poison? = a prakrti attainment…

Sad many don’t know how to read it. Preachers preach wrong things. Misinterpretation. Lack of discrimination. Taking words at face value. seeing no depth. Not cross refrencing or studying other religions to deepen meaning.

Bad form.
So I BOOOOOOO!!!

Personally I like the bible.