Does one need a guru?

[quote=tubeseeker;7251]I reread post number 70, well put, a delightful read
on the journey, sometimes by myself, sometimes not
seeker[/quote]

indeed, 'tis a goodie.

[B][I]Swami Satyananda Saraswati and Swami Satyasangananda, [/I][/B][B]Light on the Guru and Disciple Relationship[/B]

“Many people have argued that a guru is not necessary, because the real guru
is already within us. This is true, but how many of us can claim to hear,
understand or follow his instructions? In fact, most of us even tend to
doubt his existence. How many of us can discriminate between the real inner
guru and the monkey mind, acting out the dictates of the ego?”

Nichole, it is funny cause I did a search for this thread earlier today and I could not find it, out of all the days you bring it up on the day I am looking for it, crazy how the universe works :slight_smile:

For those that dont know I changed my name from tubeseeker to justwannabe. I also have a change of opinion on this thread as well. I think a guru is very important. we dont need to travel this journey alone or on our own. I would recomend that everyone doing “yoga” or anyone interested in spiritual study, find someone that they can look up to and learn from. For me the hard part was not finding someone to look up to but actually being ready to learn from that person. I met a spiritual teacher over a year ago and I told him of some things that were going on in my life and he asked me to do some stuff in my daily practice. I was not ready to listen so I avoided him untill recently I went back again. he asked me to do a different practice this time, I have been diligent in it, and it has helped me to gain more insight into prana and also were some of my blocks are in my physical body. I have felt openings doing the practice he perscribed.

also, It is an interesting experience when you are in a room of 30 people and the instructor speaks as if he is speaking directly to you. Reaching inside you and pulling out your deepest thoughts. someone who has the eyes to see through you and your ego wants to discredit what he/she is saying but your heart knows that in this instance your ego has absolutely no validity or explanation that holds weight in this matter. It is an experience that typing here does not do it justice.

He does not teach all the classes at the yoga center but all the teachers I have met there so far have done a great job in the classes. I have had experiences at this place where you go to the class and have no strength, then we do a practice and you feel there is no way to make it through and then you tap into the breath and let the breath move the body and you open up and find the ease in the motion. you feel you could have done the motion twice as long as they ask of you when in the beginning you feel you could not have gotten half way through. THis is an experience I could not have had on my own. also some of the corrections they have been able to help me with in regards to my posture, very slight modifications that have profoundly help my sitting practices in a short time.

was I ready for a guru before, no. the more I surrender and the more humble I become the more I can learn and experience. Does one need a guru? Maybe the question would be why would you not want to have a guru. for the the answer was my ego did not believe I needed one.

[quote=Nichole;11189][B][I]Swami Satyananda Saraswati and Swami Satyasangananda, [/I][/B][B]Light on the Guru and Disciple Relationship[/B]

“Many people have argued that a guru is not necessary, because the real guru
is already within us. This is true, but how many of us can claim to hear,
understand or follow his instructions? In fact, most of us even tend to
doubt his existence. How many of us can discriminate between the real inner
guru and the monkey mind, acting out the dictates of the ego?”

[/quote]

Hi Guys :smiley:

Very true Nichole… Thanks for pointing this out.

As we go along on our journey… we see things from a different perspective at times, maybe due to experiences which shed light or take us deeper, and so change our perspective. How beautiful to be humble enough to see this and go with it…

love
Soul

Thank you Nichole for this post. Very timely for me! :slight_smile:

I have been reflecting on how strong my relationship with my Teacher has become. As I get to know & trust my Teacher I also get to know my spiritual guide. Both bring me joy & both ?kick ass?!!
Namaste,
Fin

After writing a long discourse, pooring my heart to it, it went down into the nihil of cyberspace through an unfortunate software error (browser timeout).
But the thoughts resonate on the pranic and mental planes, so not all is lost, and for my not so small ego, it is a good lesson in humility, equanimity and non-attachment.

I’d shortly conclude that The Guru is everywhere, if we are able to recognize It/Him/Her, both inside and outside.
Our karma is the best guru, and when we get a glimpse of the wisdom behind it, through intuition, what other sign or guidance do we need ?
Inside, outside … can we really know ourselves without relating to what life brings us ? Are we separate from the world ? Where is the border ? Where do I stop, and where does the world begin?

We do not need an authoritative guru who guides us with an iron hand, as we do not need the Old Man with a white beard sitting on the clouds.
We need teachers, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, lovers, children and parents, collegues and adversaries. We need them all, and they all need us.

justwannabe,
how lucky you are to have found a guru/spiritual guide. I thought I found that person, but I don’t believe that that person was ready to be my guide.
I’ve since been practicing regularly but without the “guru” aspect present. It leaves me to find the beauty in my practice on my own, which is not always easy. Then nothing good ever does come easy does it?

“Knowing about” and “knowing” is two very different concepts. Most of us have knowledge about or know about many things, but it is only the guru/master/teacher who can lead you to knowing.

I was very fortunate to have a teacher who lead me to knowing and until you have tasted the knowing you can only know about it.

[QUOTE=A Better Me;11204]justwannabe,
I’ve since been practicing regularly but without the “guru” aspect present. It leaves me to find the beauty in my practice on my own, which is not always easy. Then nothing good ever does come easy does it?[/QUOTE]
this brings a thought to mind. Since I did most of my practicing on my own I was able to go to deep levels without a guru/teacher. then I went deeper with the guru guiding. Now the mind asks to let the guru do all the work but I realize I must go even deeper on my own when the guru is not there, using what the guru has taught me. This way I can practice non attachment knowing that the guru is a guide but if left on my own I can fend for myself.

Hubert, I agree the guru is everywhere and with open eyes we can learn from everything. But having someone who can look at you and give you a practice that you need, specifically for you, is a great aid. When we are open the guru can appear
my best,
justwannabe

I am really happy for you, my friend. I would like to share this beautiful hymn with you, guys.

Benedictus qui venit in Domine

Sanctus Dominus Deus Sabbaoth,
Pleni sunt caeli et terra Gloria

[I]“Blessed and Welcomed is he who comes into the Realm[/I]
[I]Inner peace and wellbeing under the land where God presides[/I]
[I]Fulfillment from the glorious sky to the glorious earth” (rough translation)[/I]

guru brahma
guru vishnu
guru devo maheswara
guru sakhal parabrahma
thasmye sri guruve namah

the creation is your guru
the operation is your guru
and destruction is your guru
Guru is the creator…operator…and destructor of Ego
he is the pure consciousness itself.

The need of a guru as a person or the guidance of just the inner guru depends on the aspirants level of ‘involution’.

[quote=Prascina;11549]guru brahma
guru vishnu
guru devo maheswara
guru sakhal parabrahma
thasmye sri guruve namah

the creation is your guru
the operation is your guru
and destruction is your guru
Guru is the creator…operator…and destructor of Ego
he is the pure consciousness itself.

The need of a guru as a person or the guidance of just the inner guru depends on the aspirants level of ‘involution’.[/quote]

For this very reason, I am grateful and beyond for my outer teacher. I have known just enough to realize how much there is still unknown to me.

very well put, Nichole.

… there is the known, the unknown, & the unknowable

the outer teacher helps in knowing & pushing the boundaries…

'the outer teacher helps in knowing & pushing the boundaries… '
and will guide you to that door of inner guru.

Namaste All,

I think so much have been said here and all are valid. My own beloved teacher retired in the beginning of this year and also moved to another city where she will spent most of her remaning days now in meditation. Point is I feel like an orphan without her and her loving guidance. The true value of the master/guru/teacher can only be realised once they are not there anymore.

Attachments:D

And so we learn to de-attach. :slight_smile:

De-attachment goes hand in hand with attachment. In liberation where is attachment or de-attachment.:smiley:

If somebody is teaching you ashtanga yoga or hatha yoga, he/she is not a guru but a teacher.

A guru is must for your spiritual journey. It is said that once your mind is tuned with supreme conciousness/ God you will meet with your guru who will take you by hand and guide you personally. Guru will make you realise yourself as if you are looking into a mirror.

A true guru is above material things.

If you are having a guru, you must have infinite faith in your guru.

There can be some great saints who may not need a guru, but there will be a handful of such persons in this world.

The physical guru 'helps in knowing & pushing the boundaries… '
if necessary and will guide you to that door of inner guru…the pure consciousness.