Energizing Yoga

[QUOTE=core789;39155]She made an interesting point which resonated with me.

.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the cosmic energy flows into you through the medulla oblongata. By will
power and concentration, you should be able to draw more cosmic energy
(life force, prana, qi) into your body. Then, you can direct it to the diseased
part of the body to heal it.

By the way, medulla oblongata is the only part of the brain where the
neurosurgeons cannot operate.

I have to emphasize here the role of CONCENTRATION. It is a great secret of
yoga. Read about it in many books, eg by Yogananda or Sivananda.

For example, Swami Sivananda has a great book, Power of Thought, available
on-line from the Divine Life Society.

Hi again.

To help, I post here the online book of Swami Sivananada:

http://www.yoga-age.com/modern/thoughtpower.html

It is a great, PRACTICAL book.

Hi Oak,

I have to emphasize here the role of CONCENTRATION. It is a great secret of
yoga.
The training in one-pointedness ( of mind) ;it’s as if that contributes towards the manifestation of will-power.

Much endeavour in life often draws on this.

[QUOTE=oak333;39159]Hi again.

To help, I post here the online book of Swami Sivananada:

http://www.yoga-age.com/modern/thoughtpower.html

It is a great, PRACTICAL book.[/QUOTE]

I am enjoying reading this book, and I thank you for the link, but I have to say that I believe one should read this critically. Although there is much here to learn, there is also untruth that has to be weeded out.

I’ve only read the first two chapters of the book, and my overall impressions are for the most part positive. Although it may be a bit of a distraction from the main focus of the thread, I’m sure the intent is to use this in the process of energizing yoga.

The book talks a lot about manas and so I thought I would provide some background information for anyone who may not be familiar. Manas is one of the twenty-five principles of Samkhya. In the Samkhya scheme of evolution, manas is one of the eleven indriyas which evolve from Ahamkara, or the principle of self. The word indriya means “instrument”, like a microphone is an instrument for changing the form of sound waves, or a radio is an instrument for receiving radio waves. There are two categories of indriyas. First, there are the indriyas of cognition, which are the five senses. Second, there are the indriyas of action, which include locomotion, grasping, reproduction, elimination, and speech. Manas is the sattvic indriya which controls and coordinates the other indriyas, having characteristics of both cognition and action.

The indriyas all have a corresponding object in the material world. For the indriya of sight, the object is light or color; for hearing, sound; for smell, odor; for taste, flavor; for touch, form. Likewise the instruments of action have their corresponding objects in the form of desire. In the same way, the object of the individual manas is thought.

Yogananda talks about an atmoshpere of thought. This is the principle of manas having universal application. If we think of the atmosphere of thought as a sea of radio waves, then the individual manas would be like a radio receiver and transmitter. The essence of what Yogananda is saying, is that we need to learn to tune into and transmit on the desirable frequencies, and filter out the undesirable static.

[QUOTE=Asuri;39214]

Yogananda talks about an atmoshpere of thought. This is the principle of manas having universal application. If we think of the atmosphere of thought as a sea of radio waves, then the individual manas would be like a radio receiver and transmitter. The essence of what Yogananda is saying, is that we need to learn to tune into and transmit on the desirable frequencies, and filter out the undesirable static.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. Yogananda speaks about thoughts as floating in the ether (astral plane ?). The thoughts are actually very real. Every thought has a rate (frequency) of vibration. When you have a thought, good or bad, it will
resonate with the corresponding thoughts in the ether. That is why when people are thinking about success, e. g., actually atract success: their thoughts of success resonate with the similar thoughts in the ether.

It is known from physics that the phenomenon of resonance amplifies.

But, as you said, it is necessary for us to tune-in.

[QUOTE=Asuri;39208]I am enjoying reading this book, and I thank you for the link, but I have to say that I believe one should read this critically. Although there is much here to learn, there is also untruth that has to be weeded out.[/QUOTE]

I am not aware about the untruth in the book you are speaking about. Could you, please, quote an example ? Thanks.

I find that my body gets a low blood sugar feeling after work so I make sure that I stay at a good level thru out the day. Then at the end of the day I do some yoga breath and some asanas to bring me back into the real world! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to nit pick Yogananda’s book. There were several things, especially in the first chapter that I didn’t agree with or that I thought were factually incorrect. Overall, I like the book. We can use the notion of the atmosphere of thought as an example, along with the notion of being able to draw on a storehouse of cosmic energy by an act of will. These are ideas that should not be accepted uncritically. I’m not saying they are or are not true. I’m saying people need to think about it and decide for themselves, what is real and what isn’t. These ideas are quite a bit different from the way we are accustomed to thinking about the world. If it’s right knowledge, it’s golden. If not, well, we are always refining our knowledge of the world.

[QUOTE=Asuri;39296]I don’t want to nit pick Yogananda’s book. There were several things, especially in the first chapter that I didn’t agree with or that I thought were factually incorrect. Overall, I like the book. We can use the notion of the atmosphere of thought as an example, along with the notion of being able to draw on a storehouse of cosmic energy by an act of will. These are ideas that should not be accepted uncritically. I’m not saying they are or are not true. I’m saying people need to think about it and decide for themselves, what is real and what isn’t. These ideas are quite a bit different from the way we are accustomed to thinking about the world. If it’s right knowledge, it’s golden. If not, well, we are always refining our knowledge of the world.[/QUOTE]

To quote you, the proof of the pudding is in its eating. I. e. if you experienced it, you would believe it.

Correction: the book is by Swami Sivananda, not Yogananda. Yes, its true. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you experience it for yourself, or if you try it and it works for you, there’s no need for belief. Then you have real firsthand knowledge.

I just read Sivananda’s bio. He was a very accomplished individual, so who am I to criticize? Sometimes it’s better just to be silent and have a little humility.

This constant feeling of tiredness and laziness, it’s tiring in itself. When you want to work hard but you are always too tired to function. Even after a full night sleep you are feeling tired all the time. Are you over-worked, have poor diet, lack of sleep? Or its some medical condition you know nothing off? Well all the answers to these questions lies in this article.
Click here and get a fresh and reactivated life.
Feeling Tired