Halasana

Dear Lars,

I am amazed, yoga teacher training in 4 weeks? I know it is happening in South Africa as well, but I have a problem with this, brings me back to the Drive-thru effect. The reason why all of us most probably see students with injuries is because of poorly trained teachers.

[QUOTE=Lars Rimb?ck;9250]Dear Inner Athlete, dear Pandara
…Inner Athlete, which modifications would you suggest to practise Halasana as well as Sarvangasana more safe?
Lars[/QUOTE]

The foundation of Sarvangasana is raised or supported by several neatly folded blankets wrapped in a sticky mat. We use foamy pads but I am not sure where you would view such a thing in Germany. The support must be located under C7 the last of the cervical vertebrae. In other words, C7 must be supported while the skull tips back to the floor - heading away from the wall rather than toward it. In this way the curve of the cervical spine is preserved rather than compromised. Students with pre-existing neck issue take more height. All students come up with feet on the wall, not in the center of the room.

There are several other modifications that are employed but it’s too much for an internet forum. It is most appropriate in a workshop or TT setting.

The set up for Halasana is almost identical except that the student is turned and the props move away from the base of the wall so the student can come into the pose (Halasana) with their soles on the wall.

Dear Innner Athlete, dear Pandara

Thanks for the Tips.
Yes this short trainings is drive through mentality and still Yesterday I found out 4 weeks aren?t the shortest Teachers Trainings over here.
In a German Forum I heard about an offer to become Yoga Trainer within 40 Hours and it sounds to me like a bad joke.
All the best
Lars

Hello,I have a predominate Norwegian history in my Genes. I am 6 foot 6 inches, rather thin, and very gummy. When I was younger I was the most flexible kid in my martial arts school, and fellow students called me gummy man (daddy long leggs was another nickname they gave me). Would the Halasana be dangerous for me? If I were to do it, could I regulate myself, sensing my bodies limits before I damage myself?

Even Iyengar states in later books that the shoulders should be supported. Over the long term-shoulder stands and head stands can damage the neck.

I agree that students must be strong enough-and you must make note of the C7. Many students are in a hurry to obtain inversions. I noticed that Iyengar teachers (certified as such) still do not use props in shoulder stands.

if u perform halasana , make sure u perform asanas like dhanurasana to reverse the effect. u have to maintain a balance.
slow and steady wins the race.

I am renouncing the practice of Halasana, for this lifetime.
I never really liked it, anyway. :smiley:

Hello Hubert

So did I.
Since my first Yoga teachers have not been carefull enough with this asana I ended up with neck problems.
All the best
Lars

In Halasana, I was wondering whether the tail bone should be lifting up to the ceiling and the feet lightly touching with the energy going to the tailbone OR the tailbone and spine curled pushing down on the feet, energy going to the feet ? I like both but I feel like curled and pushing feet is better than lifted-up and light feet. Thoughts anyone ? Namaste

For the asana halasana, when inverted, should the back/spine be straight from shoulders to tail? I’ve seen it done both with the spine straight (vertical, spine looks stacked nice and straight) and with the spine rounded. Which way is correct?

Also, what is the difference between planting the soles of the toes on the floor (feet are perpendicular to floor) vs. pointing the toes and placing the toenail side of the toes on the floor?

In Halasana, ideally the spine should be neutral - except for the cervical spine which obviously is not and cannot. Students rounding their back may be a) too stiff to do otherwise but insist on doing the posture anyway, b) be instructed to do so by this style or that style of yoga teacher, or c) may be working with a specific purpose or a specific condition which warrants that for them, in that pose, at that time, for that duration, to do it that way.

@Tony: I can’t pick either of your two choices however I would direct my students to root the rear shoulders (deltoids not scapulae) and triceps then recoil to lift the sides of the waist and heads of the femurs upward (away from the floor).

"I noticed that Iyengar teachers (certified as such) still do not use props in shoulder stands. " yogaroads

I am surprised to hear this,certainly in this country Iyengar teachers are sticklers for good support in shoulder stand,with variations for different conditions.Ive seen teachers looking like they are about to faint if someone goes up in shoulder stand without support.

Glad my question got moved to this thread :slight_smile:

After reading it, I guess I’m surprised that in NONE of the classes I’ve taken have blankets (or other items) been used as props for halasana or sarvangasana. I almost feel “violated” (maybe a bit harsh) that I was never exposed to learning those asanas with props to make sure that I do them correctly. This propablby has to do with the fact that most of the classes I’ve taken have been from ashtanga/vinyasa based teachers.

This whole idea reinforces that fact that I should find a teacher who I can see for a few sessions to evaluate my alignment in detail. (An idea that other forum members helped my realize to help with my shoulder impingment and osteoporosis. So glad I came across this forum!)

Probably because of some torn stuff in my shoulder, halasana and shoulderstands are not part of my daily practice.
Within a week or two, problems would occur if I persisted in those asanas, even with proper counterposes and props.
It is still fun to occassionally hang upside down from a tree branch or inversion table, Gil.

I have also never seen any teachers offering advice on support during shoulderstand or halasan. I understand a bit the feeling “violated”. Surely people are taught about this in their TTCs? And if they aren’t, why on earth not? its certainly not going to do yoga any favours by having people teaching in such an irresponsible manner.

i recently met an australian yoga teacher of 20 years who disagrees entirely with headstand, citing that it can cause arthritis of the neck if done incorrectly, which she says, most people are.

ive noticed that most yoga teachers ive encountered here in india are determined to get their students into headstands regardless of whether they have the strength or not? I have had to stipulate to some of them that i am not willing to go further than half headstand, and i will onyl do that for 5 seconds as i get aching in my neck otherwise…still they try to push me to go the whole way up. What is this?! :rolleyes:

The joyful part of “this” is you, respecting your body and expecting a long future within it, despite encouragement otherwise.

Good job.

This is a good thread. Thank you Lars. I’ve had the wonderful blessing of
watching my body ‘grow’ in asana from age 16…until now, 52.

Part of the progression as we age is an ‘un-doing’ or sometimes a
’non-doing’ of asanas, and an increase of other yogic practices, as in the eight-limbs, i.e. 4-8.
Specifically with halasana, I practiced it relentlessly for many years–it was easy for me.
I did [I]not[/I] learn early on (from a number of teachers) to use support. :confused:

[I]That[/I] is water under the bridge…

Later–in my 20’s–I began to study and
incorporate Iyengar methods in my practice.
I do not teach halasana and sarvangasana
without instructing on the use of props. Period.

Some students grumble about it; they ‘prefer’ without support.
I shake my head, roll my eyes, smile and say my usual speech about “risk vs. benefit”

After head, shoulder stands and plough, etc. for 30 years…I have finally given my neck a little rest.
For the past 5-6 years I’ve cut back those asanas tremendously.
I have to admit I’ve much less neck ‘issues’ than I used to have when I was younger.
Will I return to a deepening practice of halasana?
Maybe, if my intuition guides me there. :wink:

…all that said…would I eliminate teaching halasana all-together? No.

I find it fascinating that it has been tossed out in Germany. Hmm…

I feel it is an asana of Hatha Yoga that has its place. It needs to be
addressed sensibly as the discussions aforementioned here in
this thread indicate. Sweeping it under the rug (so to speak)
won’t work as [I]“what one resists…persists[/I].”

Great discussion…

Best with Blessings,
Nancy

It is an asana that has an important place in blood circulation since while in it your Blood Pressure is more equitable than in any other i.e. pretty much the same dystaolic over systolic throughout , and in conjunction with head and shoulderstand, is a blood tonic to the glandular systems ( not that I know very much about glandular systems- just reporting my understanding of what I’ve read ). The fish is an excellent counterpose for all that neck pressure and has done wonders for me that did the inversions for years without it and had major neck improvement with it. That’s not transient either as I started doing the fish and receiving that benefit over a year ago. Namaste

For the record : at the same time that I started doing the fish to fix my neck I also started using some modest ( folded towel ) support. I feel that the fish did more though…I don’t know. Namaste

Fish is my counterpose for ‘bridge’ and many inversions although I make it less stressful and modify it by not putting my head on the ground.
Happy matsyasana, Gil.