Halasana

This is a good thread. Thank you Lars. I’ve had the wonderful blessing of
watching my body ‘grow’ in asana from age 16…until now, 52.

Part of the progression as we age is an ‘un-doing’ or sometimes a
’non-doing’ of asanas, and an increase of other yogic practices, as in the eight-limbs, i.e. 4-8.
Specifically with halasana, I practiced it relentlessly for many years–it was easy for me.
I did [I]not[/I] learn early on (from a number of teachers) to use support. :confused:

[I]That[/I] is water under the bridge…

Later–in my 20’s–I began to study and
incorporate Iyengar methods in my practice.
I do not teach halasana and sarvangasana
without instructing on the use of props. Period.

Some students grumble about it; they ‘prefer’ without support.
I shake my head, roll my eyes, smile and say my usual speech about “risk vs. benefit”

After head, shoulder stands and plough, etc. for 30 years…I have finally given my neck a little rest.
For the past 5-6 years I’ve cut back those asanas tremendously.
I have to admit I’ve much less neck ‘issues’ than I used to have when I was younger.
Will I return to a deepening practice of halasana?
Maybe, if my intuition guides me there. :wink:

…all that said…would I eliminate teaching halasana all-together? No.

I find it fascinating that it has been tossed out in Germany. Hmm…

I feel it is an asana of Hatha Yoga that has its place. It needs to be
addressed sensibly as the discussions aforementioned here in
this thread indicate. Sweeping it under the rug (so to speak)
won’t work as [I]“what one resists…persists[/I].”

Great discussion…

Best with Blessings,
Nancy

It is an asana that has an important place in blood circulation since while in it your Blood Pressure is more equitable than in any other i.e. pretty much the same dystaolic over systolic throughout , and in conjunction with head and shoulderstand, is a blood tonic to the glandular systems ( not that I know very much about glandular systems- just reporting my understanding of what I’ve read ). The fish is an excellent counterpose for all that neck pressure and has done wonders for me that did the inversions for years without it and had major neck improvement with it. That’s not transient either as I started doing the fish and receiving that benefit over a year ago. Namaste

For the record : at the same time that I started doing the fish to fix my neck I also started using some modest ( folded towel ) support. I feel that the fish did more though…I don’t know. Namaste

Fish is my counterpose for ‘bridge’ and many inversions although I make it less stressful and modify it by not putting my head on the ground.
Happy matsyasana, Gil.