Hijackers of the Holy KRIYA YOGA

Kriya Yoga, strikes me as somewhat as a modern myth. The practice is certainly effective and I would say it is probably the most powerful type of Yoga of our time and the most scientific. However, the history of it strikes me as fabricated, probably to market Kriya Yoga to people. In India, many new spiritual works or traditions have often claimed that their lineage is very ancient going back to Vedic or pre-Vedic times, such as the Yoga Vasistha ascribed to the Sage Vasistha - or the Samkhya Sutras asribed to Kapila. However, historians often find that these histories are constructed and they are of a more recent origin.

The biggest tell-tale sign I have read is there does not seem to be any precedent for Kriya Yoga prior to modern times. All writings by Kriya yogis rely on new interpretations of scriptures to suggest that Kriya Yoga is hinted by them or mentioned by them, but its a very esoteric and secret science that only initiates knew. They even claim Jesus was an initiate. Then there is the myth of Babaji, which also has no precedent in ancient times, but fits in very neatly with the modern mythological culture of ascended masters and secret orders and societies.

Thus my likely guess is that Kriya Yoga is a modern tradition, not ancient. The myth of the ‘ancient’ has just been used to market it.

Nowadays, there are several branches of Kriya Yoga. I’ve learned and practiced several of them. Some of them work better than others. All of them emphasize cleasing the chakra system in the back and front of the body with mantras, pranayama and visualization as well as magnetizing the sushumna channel. This all is to be practiced in a living stream of Gurus or lineages blessings.

I’d say that the biggest value of Kriya Yoga is the including of the higher chakras which are above the crown, up to 5-6 meters above the head. In my view, this makes all the difference after applying the techniques. It is referred to as Paravastha. However, in some forms of Kriya this is not included. These are the ones which don’t seem to work so well. But everyone has his/her own path.

I agree there’s a lot of marketing. I was very inspired of Yogananda’s “One kriya pranayama equals one year of spiritual evolution” and I guess it can be explained through astrology but, honestly, it is a marketing trick :slight_smile: A downside of such statements is that they can be made into beliefs…

I’m not sure if I got it right (English is not my native language) what Surya Deva is saying about precedents and myths but I can say that anyone can call Babaji for a visit :slight_smile: Or any other of these mentioned masters and ask about it yourself.

When one learns to know these masters in meditation, lets include… Thirumoolar, Babaji, Krishna and Jesus for example, it is easy to see and understand whether these legends of “ancient lineage” are true or not. It takes some effort on the meditation cushion but it is worth it! When you get the experience yourself, then there’s no need to believe what others say. Even Yogananda :slight_smile:

I would like to believe that it is possible to summon masters, spirit guides, god/s in meditation, but I don’t have any evidence for this beyond heresay. So I’ll leave my mind open to the possibility and spend more time on the meditation cushion and see if this possibility presents itself, in the mean time I have to rely on rational means of knowing and based on that I think there is more reason to believe ‘Babaji’ etc are myths. Ill stick by that for now until more evidence is forthcoming.

I can’t put up links but search YouTube with “[B]Kailash Meditation with Babaji and Thirumular[/B]”. That will give you a good start :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrx6PHrvTjg

Yep, thats the link. Sorry could only last 2 min with that, before my left-brain got disgustred and decided to turn back to the Yoga forums to let you know :smiley:

Hi everyone.

I’m looking to be initiated into kriya.

So far locally I’ve been able to find an Ananda Kriya Yoga center that do initiations in the tradition of Swami Kriyananda. Is that ok or should I search further? There seem to be many lineages and I don’t know which one is best.

Namaste :smiley:

Swami Kriyananda’s tradition is legitimate as far as I know, he was a very close disciple of Yogananda and is his torch bearer today. I do find his language to be very devotional though(God, God, God) and that is somewhat of a turn off for me.

Thx for your reply.

Earlier it was written in this thread:

“I’d say that the biggest value of Kriya Yoga is the including of the higher chakras which are above the crown, up to 5-6 meters above the head. In my view, this makes all the difference after applying the techniques. It is referred to as Paravastha. However, in some forms of Kriya this is not included. These are the ones which don’t seem to work so well. But everyone has his/her own path.”

Does Ananda Kriya Yoga have this?

The Kriya yoga that I do, uses the traditional 7 chakra system. However, we are given very detailed explanations on where the chakras are in our anatomy, we need to know this because we need to know where in the body to direct the breath and prana. So we can actually feel the chakras energize when we do it, so we know its working, and we can feel the energy knots untying.

I don’t really see how a chakra system where the chakras are outside of the body could be useful - because you wouldn’t really know where to direct the breath and prana and you probably would not be able to feel the chakra. Moreover, it strikes me as being a new-age fiction. I would be wary of such claims.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;68845]
I don’t really see how a chakra system where the chakras are outside of the body could be useful - because you wouldn’t really know where to direct the breath and prana and you probably would not be able to feel the chakra. Moreover, it strikes me as being a new-age fiction. I would be wary of such claims.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you don’t see the value because you have no experience of it. There is another set of 7 chakras above the crown and 7 also below the root chakra. New Age? See it for yourself in your own body and you will find this to be correct. The concentration is the same inside the body and outside the body. All lower chakras evolve from the highest center above the head.

I learned this first time from Paramahamsa Prajnanananda, who is the present lineage-head in Hariharananda-Yogananda-SriYukteswar-lineage. This is the first thing they teach. Yogananda’s and Kriyananda’s kriyas are simplified, you know.

Hello there,

Is it normal to feel the three lower chakras blur and diffuse in contrast with the others?

How long does it take to master the basic practice?

Years pass and I’m loosing faith… Am I a failure kriyaban?

I need some hope, thanks.

Yeah, my friend, I have no experience of them or ascended masters that you seem to regularly experience. I am just not that good on the meditation cushion as you are :wink:

The Chakras in the body I can experience, because they actully correspond to physical locations and glands and plexus points in the endocrine system. It can be demonstrated that these are major centres in the body and we know from biology they control many of the processes in the body(and secrete major hormones) Many of the Yoga asanas are designed to stimulate these major centres directly.

But what demonstration is there for these 7 chakras above the body and 7 chakras below the body? I don’t see any glands out there :smiley: Ah right… your experience on the meditation cushion is the proof. Ok…whatever you say :wink:

Try reading Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami’s Merging with Siva. It has much info of the full chakra system of man, all 21 of them. The book is available as free e-book.

Pituitary and pineal glands (and also the third ventricle) together make what is called the 3rd eye. This system of glands which corresponds to the 6th and 7th chakras is also connected to the higher chakras. The Ajna, Kutastha and Sahasrara Chakras are the incarnated aspects of the Divine. The higher chakras, above the crown, is the Source-aspect of consciousness.

The 9th chakra high above the head is called the Higher Self. Huna’s of Polynesia and Hawaii call it “Aumakua” which means a conregation of Souls". In this level Babaji’s, Jesus’s, Buddha’s, Krishna’s or yours consciousness is identical. Having connection with ones own HS enables communication with any master of any time, IF there is a deeper purpose for it.

Hariharananda’s Kriya Yoga is still the only form of Kriya Yoga I recommend if somebody asks me. They have many acharyas and swamis all over the globe, also in US. They teach what Lahiri Mahasaya and Sri Yukteswar taught. That is a pretty solid reference to the higher centers as well.

No need to believe what I’m saying. It’s just not wise to say stuffs new age if you are not familiar with such teachings or have no experience of them.

Hello Folks,
I’m sure you’ve got the best intentions at heart by warning people of ‘fake’ gurus, we all know the disasters which can ensue rogue behaviour from people entrusted with the care of sincere aspirants. However, you really have to be SURE that the alleged abuses have taken place. The allegations you mention are quite serious, but what exactly are your sources? Do you know the victims well enough to have no shadow of a doubt that they may be misleading you? Perhaps these victims of Shibendu and Sri Vats had disagreements with their gurus which led them to retaliate by attempting to destroying reputations, a very vicious form of revenge.
I know , for example, that Shibendu can be quite caustic from time to time, he has caused offence on a number occasions, but if you get to know him, you will understand that this is a device he employs deliberately to break down common misconceptions about his great grandfather’s teachings, as you know, there are plenty of those!!!
As for Sri Vats, I have NEVER heard a bad word against him, he is serious, very sincere and is selective because he objects strongly to the gaze of public attention. Sri Vats’ authenticity of lineage and teaching I can assure you is beyond question. Perhaps this is too liberal an attitude for you to tolerate, but what is the problem with homosexuality? Even if Sri Vats is homosexual AND WE DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR CERTAIN, if he is a sincere practitioner, which he most definitely is, how can his sexuality be a stumbling block to his efficacy as a teacher of Kriya? Not only does Sri Vats avoid basking in fame, he also avoids the ‘guru is to be worshiped’ game which so many Indian teachers play.
The ommision of Kechari Mudra and oral breathing of Yoganandaji’s SRF has been debated for many years to absolute exhaustion, nonetheless SRF’s Kriya still proves to have a very potent impact when practiced faithfully. Perhaps the West is not quite ready to receive Lahiri Baba’s Kriya undiluted.
Take care my friends,
With very best wishes, Notgoodatkriya

Sir,

Are you asking me, or one of the many other individuals that have posted within this subject matter?

I’ve been telling people for weeks, either email me directly or call me on the telephone. I am unfortunately too busy to do this sort of online forum thing.

Thank you

Jai Guru

Morgan

To everyone else,

It is very dangerous and foolish to take such advice on subtle matters over the internet or the even more impersonal online instructions that are available. I am surprised to see such an interest in these things. Overzealous visualization will not merge you with God. Few things will.

I needed to put things out there for individuals that have been used and abused by bad teachers. The evidence is there and the victims will remain anonymous.

Here is the link to a book I mentioned. Merging with Siva by Subramuniyaswami:
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/mws/mws_table_of_contents.html

I read the post of omshanti regarding false gurus. As instructed I wrote him a personal letter asking a recommendation for a competent kriya yoga guru. He recommended Mr. Ashok Kumar Singh who lives in USA and his guru Maheshwari Prasad Dubey (1936-2004). I have never heard of them, nor did I find their names in the kriya yoga lineage lists, so if anybody knows more information about them, please let me know. I visited the website omshanti recommended, however on basis of the content of this website I can’t be convinced that these two teachers are the only who are competent kriya yoga gurus. The website is vedickriyayoga.com. Thank you.

[QUOTE=omshanti;68961]
It is very dangerous and foolish to take such advice on subtle matters over the internet or the even more impersonal online instructions that are available. I am surprised to see such an interest in these things. Overzealous visualization will not merge you with God. Few things will.
[/QUOTE]

cough, cough. just sayin’…

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;68678]
The biggest tell-tale sign I have read is there does not seem to be any precedent for Kriya Yoga prior to modern times. All writings by Kriya yogis rely on new interpretations of scriptures to suggest that Kriya Yoga is hinted by them or mentioned by them, but its a very esoteric and secret science that only initiates knew. They even claim Jesus was an initiate. Then there is the myth of Babaji, which also has no precedent in ancient times, but fits in very neatly with the modern mythological culture of ascended masters and secret orders and societies.

Thus my likely guess is that Kriya Yoga is a modern tradition, not ancient. The myth of the ‘ancient’ has just been used to market it.[/QUOTE]

You are right about this, kriya yoga as used by these Babas was merely a buzz word. It is an age old tactic to get western students by inflating the importance of some personality and their so called lineage. It is indeed a tell sign that they start including Jesus Christ in their teachings, a figure who was completely irrelevant to India before the British arived. Even to this day many self styled yogis will include these tactics to rake in the cash from gullable westerners or to get them in bed. Most of these gurus that became important in the west were simply good at impressing other people with their stories. The books written by Yogananda or his guru Yukteshvara are nonsensical garbage, but a lot of people are drawn to the romanctic style of these authors. In the past, very few Indians would fall for this kind of crap, but that has changed with the globalisation and Indians putting more and more importance on the things that are also popular in the west.