Hot room headaches

I go to Moksha Hot Yoga classes. I find it really great. I tried Bikram Yoga.

Lexi

I have been doing hot yoga now for 2.5 weeks. I have been getting headaches AND having problems with an upset stomach.

I usually wake-up with a headache the day AFTER my yoga class. I go M, W, and F…
And my stomach is usually upset the day I do yoga. So, I’ll eat breakfast…go to yoga…eat lunch and then sometime around lunch and dinner I’ll get that feeling…have an upset stomach and then usually am hungry enough to eat dinner.

Any thoughts? My diet is quite clean–for me–I eat simply…chicken and rice. veggies. sometimes soups. i’ll have eggs and potatoes for brekkie…whaddya think?
thanks, everyone. :smiley:

What of the Doshas, and body types not being appropriate for certain things like hot yoga?
I don’t know much beyond what I’ve read here and there, but I have read more than once that a person say with a lot of heat in the body may not find hot yoga beneficial to them.
It doesn’t matter that we enjoy how it feels, it’s a question of whether we really feel we need to pursue it.
I have tried hot yoga, and loved it. Then read more about it, and found that the only real benefit (if you can call it that) is that the muscles warm more quickly, and one can go much deeper into the poses. Thus, it pumps the ego a bit as we can move farther than we thought we could.
But there is the concern also that one could more easily become injured. With the muscles so warm, its’ less likely one would feel the discomfort that comes with the beginning of a slight injury.
I have not injured myself seriously, but I did find new aches and pains after practicing hot yoga, and after weighing the benefits against the risks, I have chosen to refrain from practicing it.
Just my experience, and thoughts pertaining to it. :slight_smile:

unfortunately this forum will not let me post the link to an important article about this health topic, simply because I am a new user and don’t yet have 15 posts here! UGGGH for you guys! So google Yoga and Ayurveda
by Deborah Knox on the Kripalu site which gives more info on why certain styles of yoga aggravate certain constitutional types.

@migraineur

You can post a link but you have to do so in such a way that the link isn’t forced to be parsed by the site. The 15 post limitation, as I understand it, is a spam prevention as forums tend to attract more than their fair share of drive-bys.

Try hxxp instead of http

I have been doing yoga for years, and have just recently switched to hot yoga (tried bikram once, now I do moksha) and I also get headaches. I love the practice. Layering all the benefits from yoga, and getting cardio too. I burn about 500 calories in a 1 hour class! But the headahces are terrible. I will try the electrolites too. Thanks for all the posts!

I think it’s best to consult the doctor before coming to any kind of hot yoga class. I’ve read the heat has a bad effect to some people, I thank the heavens that I haven’t experienced most of it (just felt dizziness during the first few weeks but I found out I wasn’t drinking a lot of water).