How long do you hold your positions?

[quote=wendy;15135]hmm… wouldn’t a deformation of a muscle result in sacrificing something? Stability or strength, maybe?

I’m off to research!:D[/quote]

Dear Wendy,

In this context, you should read the word “deformation” as “change in shape”. Please do not read the word “deformation” as “a change in shape for the worse”. In some cases a permanent (plastic) deformation of muscle tissue can be beneficial! For example, if you have tight muscles and you are able to relax them with yoga poses. If the effect were not permanent and plastic, your muscles would be tight again after you finished your yoga session.

The scientific research that Mukunda quotes shows that low-effort, long-duration stretching is more effective than high-effort, short-duration stretching for this purpose. It makes a strong case for yoga (“relax the effort”) compared to more strenuous exercise.

Want to know more about Yoga & Ayurveda? Visit today medcarelive.com

I don’t have a set duration for postures. Some days I do a more yin yoga style where I hold postures for two minutes plus. Other days I do a real fluid routine. Then other days I hold for a moderate 5 to 10 breaths. Often I mix it up within the same practice. I like the variety and in my limited experience I benefit and enjoy all yoga styles.

5 good strong Ujayi breaths.

hi,i am a beginner for yoga, i started doing it from just past 3 months.In these 3 months i gained an excellent flexibility in my body. It makes me more energized every morning.So, now i am continuing it to gain more benefits from it and each day i try to follow some new yoga tips.When i came to know about this forum i immediately rushed to join it.

I’ve been practicing a lot of Yin Yoga lately, so I’ve been holding up my poses for two to five minutes. When I do Ashtanga Yoga I don’t really take note of how long I execute them. I’ve read some things that 5 breaths is not enough since it’s only equivalent to about 30 seconds average, but it really all comes down to what InnerAthlete said. Make sure you are comfortable and having a great time.

depends

As InnerAthlete mentioned in his post, asana is one of the many tools that a human can use to develop his ability to concentrate his mind with a further aim to stop its modifications and finally to connect to the Self. All physical advantages are just a mere by-product. Therefore its is difficult to state any specific time to hold them in general.

That is true dening. Just do what is most comfortable :slight_smile:

Lately I’ve been doing 10 full. deep inhales and the same kind of exhales. I do enjoy changing that up though depending on how much time I have and what I feel my body needs.

This is a fantastic question. I go between half a minute to a minute generally. But i’m not always counting when i do it so i don’t really know for sure. For me it’s important to not focus on specifics and just try to feel if the pose is working.

As long as you feel totally connected with your posture. Focus on building connection, duration follows it.

Another analogy is how long I should take bath or how long I should do prayer. All lead to same answer.