Is Bikram Yoga, Yoga?

[QUOTE=Terence;52089]http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/the-bikram-backlash-488115.html

Interesting article I read recently.

A friend of mine recently took a Bikram class, a back band was causing her considerable pain. The instructor told her to take the pain and stretch more.[/QUOTE]

Both my wife and myself have had completely opposite experiences. I told my instructor that I had a sharp pain in my hamstring and he immediately showed me an alternative pose that wold stretch and help it heal.

My wife also had a lot of shoulder pain and he spent about 10 minutes after class so he could understand her problem and help her find a solution.

Perhaps me and my wife just got lucky, but all three of the teachers in our class have been nothing short of great in my opinion. 2 women and 1 man.

I do believe if you are going to work this hard in a 105 degree room you had better find a good teacher that cares more about you than the system. :slight_smile:

Glad that you had positive experiences!

Check out the Iyengar system as a point of comparison. Inform the instructor of your conditions beforehand.

[QUOTE=Terence;52093]Glad that you had positive experiences!

Check out the Iyengar system as a point of comparison. Inform the instructor of your conditions beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Will do!

I’d like to check out a few different systems over time.

Here’s my experience of Bikram yoga, sorry in advance for sounding cynical!

An instructor in Bikram told me that ‘Patanjali 3-4000 years ago listed the benefits of the postures.’ I replied that Patanjali was around about 1,500 years ago and the Sutras go a little deeper than that. I didn’t want to take his class at that point.

I started to read an article by a student of Bikram yoga entitled “Bikram yoga, yoga without the bullshit.” I only got as far as the title.

However, if someone is getting massive long term health benefits and peace of mind from this or any other practice, than that is a good thing.

[QUOTE=Terence;52107]Here’s my experience of Bikram yoga, sorry in advance for sounding cynical!

An instructor in Bikram told me that ‘Patanjali 3-4000 years ago listed the benefits of the postures.’ I replied that Patanjali was around about 1,500 years ago and the Sutras go a little deeper than that. I didn’t want to take his class at that point.

I started to read an article by a student of Bikram yoga entitled “Bikram yoga, yoga without the bullshit.” I only got as far as the title.

However, if someone is getting massive long term health benefits and peace of mind from this or any other practice, than that is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Well I have to be honest. When I look at Bikram (the man) I’m pretty disturbed by him. I think we may be lucky with our teachers in that they don’t just teach Bikram yoga…they teach other styles as well even though they are fully trained in the Bikram way. Yes they push hard in class at times, but that is part of Bikram yoga.

However, as much as I dislike what I hear about Bikram, I also have to have a certain level of respect for his words when it comes to the asana aspect of Yoga. Is he enlightened? Sure doesn’t appear that way. Does he know how to design a yoga routine to whip your body into shape and expel toxins…sure appears that he does.

“When the student is ready the teacher will appear”.

I try to be open to my teacher appearing at any moment. Right now I feel really luck to have found the yoga school we are attending, even though I don’t think they will have much to offer me on the meditation front…but then I wasn’t seeking a meditation teacher, I was seeking a teacher to help me with the physical asanas of yoga.

I’m looking forward to trying other schools and styles out, but for now at least we are committed to a few months of this style and I’m certain that it will be a good starting point for us when we branch out to the other schools.

Like I said I feel lucky. I don’t know if would have chosen a Bikram class if I had read about Bikram before going. :slight_smile:

IMO, if it boosts your spiritual development and finally brings enlightenment, it “is” yoga. Few else I can say as I totally ignore Bikram Yoga.

Short answer is no. I know that may offend some of you, but read further and decide for yourself.

I practiced Bikram for several years at a variety of studios both in my hometown and while traveling. I decided to branch out and try other styles of yoga. I learned that other styles shared much more in common with each other than with Bikram.

Here are some of the ways that Bikram deviates from most other styles of yoga:

1. 105 degree heat. Don’t kid yourself, you are not getting the killer workout that you imagine. Your body just feels tapped out because you have been exercising in excessive heat. Try the same postures in a 80 degree room some time.
  2. That boring repetitive script. Bikram charges his teachers to memorize a script. I have been to classes where I swear we would be just as well off with a tape recorder turned on at the front of the class.
  3. The stupid sayings like “pain kills the pain” or “a mini heart attack in here is better than a real one outside” or “90 minutes in here is equivalent to 9 years outside.”. Yes, I know it is hyperbole, but it gets old after a while.
  4. Most Bikram teachers have not even bothered to try other form of yoga, in general their lack of knowledge on alignment principles, anatomy, and the history of yoga is astounding.
  5. With the mirrors, annual asana competition, and the way the script pushes the students, Bikram is designed to be competitive. Sure that suits a Lot of Westerners, but it goes against the grain of traditional yoga practice.

When I left Bikram classes, I found a whole new world of possibility. Not only the number of asanas, but also truly powerful and meditative yoga taught by compassionate teachers. If you are doing Bikram currently, you owe it to yourself to expand your horizons. Most who do, never go back.

[QUOTE=David;51948]I’m curious what opinions people here hold regarding Bikram Yoga. Do you like the practice? Is it anything but yoga and more of a means for Bikram Choudhury to get rich? Can the practice be beneficial for practitioners or should it be walked away from? If you share your opinion in this thread, please also state how much Bikram Yoga you’ve actually done. Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

[I][B]Prana Shakti[/B][/I] and Her workings are the most important in any form of Yoga. Yes, including Bhakti Yoga, in which one is filled with [I][B]sattvic guna[/B][/I], because of which [I][B]Prana[/B][/I], the life current rises up the [I][B]sushumna[/B][/I].

Even if some teacher emphasises the physical aspects of Yoga, that too, is with a view to clear the paths for Prana Shakti to flow into regions intended by a particular posture.

Those doing any for of physical yoga will benefit immensely, if the final pose is maintained with an inner attitude of surrender and “let go” towards the Divine Life Current, known in Yoga as [I][B]Prana Shakti.[/B][/I]

regards, anand

[QUOTE=David;52059]A fair opinion. Out of curiosity, how much Bikram Yoga have you done? And is Ashtanga Yoga a method towards yoga considering its founder (some guy named Pattabhi Jois) says it should be “99% physical practice”?[/QUOTE]

I practice Ashtanga yoga and this thread is the first place I have seen “99% PHYSICAL practice.” The quote I am very familiar with says, “99% practice…1% theory.” In other words, we incorporate the eight limbs of yoga into all aspects of our life (well, we try ;-P) rather than just talking about yoga theory. An example would be putting 1% of our effort toward talking/reading/thinking about and how ahimsa contributes to uncovering our deepest sense of Self and 99% of our effort replacing violent thoughts, words, and actions with kindness toward ourselves, our loved ones, those who chalenge us, and the universe as a whole. The 99% practice is where we actually see our true nature unfold…it’s where theory becomes reality.

As for Bikram, I have only done a small handfull of classes and while I think you can take your yoga practice into any class or situation, it is probably not the place I would choose to learn what yoga is all about. Especially if you tend toward a pitta dosha or if you gravitate heavily toward the guna rajas. This, in my mind, has less to do with their 100+ degree temperatures and more with their fiery rhetoric. “Extend beyond your flexability” and “lock out the knees” seems counterproductive physically, mentally, and emotionally to me. With that said, I know many have benefited from the system so thank goodness there is something for everyone. Love to all. hugs

yoga basics that will inspire you to deepen your practice. Arjuna, a senior Sivananda yoga teacher, will give you a step-by-step introduction to yogic postures and breathing exercises

Hi Dave,

Havent visited for a long while, I like the new layout.

In answer: Stillness of the mind content. The rest is fingers pointing to the moon. So I guess Im saying … it may be.

Hello there! Just joined this forum.
I personally am a huge fan of Bikram Yoga. I do a 55 minutes practice every second day in my living room. I alternate with Ashtanga yoga that I've been practicing for about 10 years. I find Bikram has had huge benefits on my lower back pain. It used to be chronic, as my lower lumbar disk is worn out, but I sensed the benefits of Bikram yoga almost instantly, and I feel that the back bending poses (e.g. locust) are the beneficial ones. Yoga has really changed my life and brought in a lot of peace. Go go go for it !

The Bikram Yoga technique is a form of Yoga that has been developed by Bikram Choudhury. His aim was to improve general physical health, provide a concise system of yoga exercises and meditation, and teach practitioners how to observe the effects of their actions on themselves. There are many health benefits reported by those who practice this system of yoga including cancer treatment, weight loss and improved flexibility.