Kapalbhati pranayama

Thanks, Siva. I learnt it from a teacher five years back. These days there are so many videos on the net and there is nothing very techincal about it- one just has to pull the stomach in while thrusting out the air. Is a teacher necessary now a days as well?

[QUOTE=Hiren;28403][U]Can someone please tell me how does Kapalbhati make the skull shine?[/U] Is it because of clearing the toxins and effecting the digestive system or probably exercising the forehead muscles on the quick inhalation in between after the slightly forced exhalation. Just curious to know.[/QUOTE]

I have heard/read it alleged that Kapalabhati,amongst other things, purifies and vitalises the frontal lobes.

Two resources you might find helpful or certainly worth a look ,are :-

www.pranayama.net

& ‘[I][B]Light on Pranayama[/B][/I]’ by BKS Iyengar.

Also worth considering that your best teacher is your own self-practice.

Kapalabhati is a fast breathing practice so i would’nt encourage it ,for starters, for most people .Because the abdomen region is employed, then not eating is even more important.There are preparatory practices you might be better working on so you can really learn the basics first-a good foundation.Ultimately though a student must take responsibility for his/her practice, and any resultant effects,welcome or unwelcome.

Bhastrika and kapalbhati ,the latter is also one of the traditional shatkarmas or kriyas, are in the fast,rapid or vigorous breathing category of pranayama so apporach with caution and very gentle. if there are unwelcome side-effects,nervousness then follow up with rounds of slow deep breathing or perhaps ujjayi.

http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/pranayam.html

A safer progressive approach is to master the basics,how to regulate the flow at the nostril(s) ,ultimately ida and pingala with basic balancing pranayamas very potent in themselves,according to a system of pranayam like theone outlined in Iyengar’s book .‘Light on Iyengar’.And remember to use your awareness.Acoording to his system, The basics can be learned to some students certainly in the supine position,lyiing down. HE also encourages digital pranyama,finger-clasping to control & regulate the air flow at the nostrils and thus regulate the prana.It is really is an art & a science that you need to devoote some time in gaining proficiency and some mastery over. Some systems may encourage the mental approach instead which can free yourself to concentrate more on the flow at the nostrils itself while the hands are freed…

You want to cultivate an awareness and sensitivity of the subtle breath, the prana.

It is a misconception or mistake to think pranayama’s purpose is to optimise respiratory function though that can be a welcome side-effect.What it really does is culture the nervous system (if done with awareness and control/expansion otherwise it is just breathing normally).This is partly why it is so potent ,as well as just simply relaxing .It is the bridge between mind and body.And prana is consciousness,energy.

The sudden exhale, it is alleged,also cleanses the spinal cord.

Hiren,

This is incorrect.

It’s very important that you [B]DO NOT[/B] [I]“pull the stomach in while thrusting out the air,”[/I] but rather keep the abdomen completely relaxed. If you contract it the least bit, it cannot relax quickly enough to pull the inhalation in passively as it should, on reflex. While the abdomen will pop in and out, flapping loosely, you should not help it. It’s also very important not to assist the inhalation at all. Stay completely relaxed, focus only on the breath leaving the nostrils.

You’re correct in that kapalabhati is not highly technical, but obviously can be done completely wrong. If you have been trained properly from the start, there’s no reason why you cannot continue without a teacher on your own, but as we see here, the contrary can lead to unfortunate misunderstandings and potential problems. This is a very serious exercise with serious consequences and no variations.

core789,

What you have posted here is correct except for the emphasis on kapalabhati being a [I]“fast breathing practice,” “rapid or vigorous,”[/I] which is potentially misleading. Kapalabhati is rhythmic and forceful, yes, but not rapid or fast. The rhythm is relaxed and coordinated with the passive flapping of the abdomen. This is the single-most important aspect for which one needs a teacher (along with preparatory breath), to regulate the rhythm and timing by watching for that point after inhalation at which the posture is again completely relaxed, and then setting and keeping that pace for the individual or group.

peace and clarity,
siva

What I know about pranayama that it is very powerful, and enjoying for the brains. Not to abuse it though. I was told not to do more than 50 series (exhale-inhale) in one day. One of the student that practiced with us went nuts (some said that her third eye opened) because she did too much kabalabhati and bhastrika. (more than 500 a day or so ). I dont want to get into physiology but I know what I told you. Watch out!

Siva,

Thanks for the clarification & illumination. Very helpful.

I say that because i have been recently trying to get my head round the subtle differences and nuances between-

[ol]
[li]Swana Pranayama ( it would appear to awaken control of the abdominal muscles)[/li][li]Agni sara kriya- activating the digestive fire[/li][li]Agni prasana kriya - aka [I]Breath of Fire[/I][/li][li]Kapalabhati[/li][/ol]

The first two are the prepratory part of a chakra programme i have been following past few months from the Bihar school and a prep for awakening manipura chakra and proceeding with uddiyana and nauli practice.

I have ascertained, i am led to believe that most of my obstruction lie mainly principally in the chandra/ida nadi networks- for which i am using the iyengar method of pranayama which seems rather good for this as it starts you off with basics.
Further more my manipura and anahata chakras( iseemed to have a boulder of an obstruction here ever since i began asana 4 years ago) have blockages.

However these tantric techniques do actually seem to work and they take a systematic approach.My time using a another yoga system/school last year has proven well in terms of understanding the body/mind matrix and the potency of the more esoteric side of yoga practices- the stuff that just does’nt seem to be taught in the studios , or at least the ones i’ve been to…

To add to the confusion between these practices outlined above, is that various authors sometimes provide different instructions, some with kumbhaka for example, some without, also- they sometimes are using different names for the same practices.Start watching some of the U-tube videos where you suspect someof the folk may be more self-publicists than yogis and, like someoneelse pointed out, there can often be a lack of technical detail so the practices end up so sounding rather samey and you end up in this fuzzy realm where which version do you choose. But i agree some of the nuances invloved in learning pranayama are best learnt with a teacher. What i ahev discerned through practice is that one nurtures a rhthym in the breath and the physical actions and anatomical structures that control the breath such as the diaphragm and the lungs( understanding how for example how these two components relate as a dynamic is very useful-for example when the diaphragm muscle below contracts causing the lungs to expand ,the lower belly remains still as does the upper thoracic ribcage-only the lower ribs move forward and laterally out to the sides-expansion- only after looking at medical pictures of a cadaver opened up and photographed from a few differ angels coupled with an diagram of arrows explained by a swami did i gain a better understanding of true diaphragmatic breathing for example)

Also some say use the lower abdomen, others the diaphragm or phrasings like ‘the upper part of the respiration’ etc.

I could pick out various online sources with instructions for the above 4 practices that could still leave some doubt in the miind of the aspirant/student. .I can say that the words -‘rapid’ or ‘quick’ and ‘vigourous’ were used by pranayama.net and swamiji.com when describing kapalabhati. However gradual pacing for gaining a rhythm were suggested starting off gentle.

pranayama.net- kapalabhati

Use the diaphragm to create the force required for quick inhalation and exhalation.

swamiji.com -Kapalabhati

Kapalabhati (Shining skull):

Also called the “Shining Skull” this practice emphasizes the exhalation in a very quick, thrusting motion at the base of the abdomen. The inhalation is then allow to release naturally. Unless there are health problems, most people can do this practice. To do a few before meditation, such as 10-20 or so can have a centering effect.

I can interpret it this way -that the diapghragm is used (as with all breathing- how else can the lungs respire-? i.e take in air-expand,expel air) but that the abdomen if the abdomen moves like you say that any action is passive.

“Bhastrika also uses middle section breath from the diaphragm” like K. & agniprasan kriya(fire breath-) according to Swamiji.com

Bihar book ‘Kundalini Tantra’ says- with the first 2 practices listed above “contract & expand the abdominal muscles”.

Pranayama.net says regarding swana pranayama-Svana Pranayama - Dog Breathing
"The Fire breath open the top part of the inhalation when performed. It makes the inhalation easier and holding the breath easier. The Dog Breathing causes the exhalations to improve and also makes it easier to retain the breath after exhalation."

also-
“Begin to take fast rapid breaths trying to exhale all of the air each time and only breathing in slightly. Do this about 8 times before doing one last long one.
Then breathe normally or beging Ujjayi
After your lungs have recovered repeat the exercise increasing the durartion.

I think the last two suport each otheer and indeed perhaps they all do ,but sometimes i have been left feeling a little confused.BTW i have been learning the first two. Kapalabhati is not yet in my repertiore but i am keen on using it as a shatkarma as i feel it could be useful cleanser.

If you have the time( I know this is my usual long post )and can be arsed. Could you feel confident explain any or ,rather, the main differences between the 4 practices i have given here - i am aware it could be outside the scope of a potentially fruitful explanation given the limitations of the internet( and the lack of visual demonstration,monitoring & correction,nuances, feel for rhthym & pace etc) and the benefit, as you say , of a ‘flesh & blood’ teacher.

I feel i am making progress however.The Bihar school appraoch for awakening manipura chakra advises to keep observe a pure or clean diet- for me this means currently dietary restriction on amount as i probably eat too much …hehehe

I still have’nt figured out why these Swami’s often have paunches- fat bellies -have they forsaken their nauli practice every morning?.+laugh+

Cheers.

dear core,

Woah! Slow down ther’ cowboy! What’s your hurry! I don’t know where to begin.

Humor me here for a second. Before I write the volumes you’re asking for, I would first ask you, why do you think these things are important? Are you really ready for it? And if not, why do you ask? Take your time. Advanced technique does not equate accomplishment.

Let me start by saying…the good teacher will not try to impress you with things you don’t need to know, that are not relevant to your practice, life, stage of development, etc., because it only confounds you, makes things blurry. I think that’s where we are here. Should you be practicing any or all of these advanced techniques? I will go out on a limb and say most likely not. Kapalabhati and basic pranayama, yes, and anuloma viloma with retention, yes. They are the most the vast majority of people will ever need in life. One-in-million might go beyond. Is that you?

We already know that words will never be adequate to convey the subtleties of yoga, and for that reason you need a teacher. Even if one could explain them and they were understood, the teacher has to SEE you perform these techniques for that knowledge to be useful. If you were my student, I would suggest you refocus your inquiry on techniques that are closer to your needs: what is your next step and not your last.

And finally just for thought, here is a most amazing thing about yoga, something to look forward to: When you master the basics, I mean truly master them, your questions are answered, the next step becomes clear, your direction, the rate, the pace, it all unfolds naturally. You discover a guide within you, and then ability follows. So…stick to the basics and look forward to that Self-illumination.

I know this does not answer your question, but it’s the best I can do here. I hope at least I have saved you a lot of time on the internet.

with respect,
siva

Message to Admin:-

Repeated post to Siva-So this post can be deleted.

Hi Siva,

dear core,

Woah! Slow down ther’ cowboy! What’s your hurry! I don’t know where to begin.

Humor me here for a second. Before I write the volumes you’re asking for, I would first ask you, why do you think these things are important?

Because the yoga i am practicising is working & dellivering results, for me. Simple.

Are you really ready for it?

Well i was following another complete yoga system this past year, that did not teach yo asana ,Siva right off the bat.And i feel my schooling there has come in real handy.However this is the but bit- Siva that system i was following- a coomplete one containing all the limbs- a meditation based-path rather than a kundalinin one to me i perceived weaknesese in it- [B]for me[/B]

And if not, why do you ask?

because i live in Peter-Pan land, and love asking mindless purposeless questions.I am being ironic here btw.

Take your time.

on the contrary ,I think i am taking my time.Patience is something i have been forced to learn over the years with my always evolving yoga practice

Advanced technique does not equate accomplishment.

It’s possible me and you have different views on yoga. My approach is the integral one incoorporating all the limbs. I have seen for myself the limitations and the risks of just doing asana. I don’t believe eight limbs has to be like a staircase one must climb sequentially.It’s possible are views are just different,as well as our experiences.

Let me start by saying…the good teacher will not try to impress you with things you don’t need to know, that are not relevant to your practice, life, stage of development, etc., because it only confounds you, makes things blurry. I think that’s where we are here.

I think answering myquestion is one you have tied to shirk off here for whatever reasons- -whther i choose to practice it or not is another matter- although it is really my choice(people drive cars at high speeds everyday- why should the free dIsseminiation and sharing of spiritual knowledge be any different),was actually testing the depths of your knowledge. I don’t believe that yoga should stay buried and known to just a few lucky initiates.I think you must take me for naive if you come out with that- (‘the good teacher will not try not impress you’).The good teacher will share what he knows to the student that is committed.I think i’ve more than demonstrated my commitment given the amount of sharing , of what i know(maybe it’s not much ) here and in other places, Siva.You are living an an age of open source and freedom of info. I think your views are way outdated and anachronistic…

.Should you be practicing any or all of these advanced techniques?

I think that is better addressed principally by the student. I don’t blindly follow gurus,siva. I am my own man.I am currently following the bihar school- the satyananda tradition. I follow it because 1) it is based on science 2) it is comprehensive- no one is left out 3)i trust it and it is working for me.

Kapalabhati and basic pranayama, yes, and anuloma viloma with retention, yes. They are the most the vast majority of people will ever need in life. One-in-million might go beyond. Is that you?

Hi siva- you are right but i am learning the basics.Thanks for the direction.There is the here & now siva. That is what pracitce is about.

Siva i listed two techchniques(out of the 4) that i said i was learning- swana pranayam and agnisara kriya as a preparation for doing uddiyana and nauli- both of which open up manipura in the chakra programme i am following. Also i am learning the basics of pranayama to get a better handle on this programme, and also because i am a keen & commited student, and i believe the learning should never stop. It’s like anything in life.Nothing worthwhile comes easy. Rising to the top of your profession, building a house- it all takes time & effort,energy and application.

I only asked you about the other two because i sensed some ambiguity on my part. That does’nt mean i should’nt practice them. it does’nt necessarily mean i should practice them either.(I believe in the clarity that comes from people that do know sharing-hehhehe… none of us likes confusion) Again that is for the student to decide with enough experience. And quite frankly i believe i do have enough experience.
You seem to be up on hatha yoga- it’s what you practice- some of my questions related to pranayama and these distinctions.I neither try to impress people, siva, nor am i easily impressed either. Because i know we l have latent potential. It’s just a matter of tapping into it. I’ve been around ,siva.And have a certain amount of yoga practice and experience. Also i don’t necessarily all the limbs have to be apporaches like steps, for some people at least.Some folk start with meditation, others pranayama( baba ramdev for example in india has popularised it)I started off with asana, just like you ,siva. So we do have alot in common.I believe if we take alittle bit of each we can get quicker and greater results. But it did’nt come overnight or without sadhana effort to realise. No,Siva. Far from it. I had to learn the hard way.It has taken me hours of study and practice like you would not believe. I understand the potency of pranayama and the more esoteric side-mantra yoga,kriya yoga,chakra work etc.I have experience it first-hand. I appreciate it. I practice it because it is working for me.But it’s taken time to get here. I think you must misunderstand me somewhat.However…

Siva- i could go OUT on a limb and venture to say the reason you are not answering questions is because clearly-

A) one really has to know what one is talking about or use these techniques in one’s repertoire-, i.e one’s own current personal sadhana.
B) there is a lot of effort involved to answer my question notwithstanding the fact that pranayama and the subtleties of yoga cannot easily be conveyed over internet-

And finally just for thought, here is a most amazing thing about yoga, something to look forward to: When you master the basics, I mean truly master them, your questions are answered, the next step becomes clear, your direction, the rate, the pace, it all unfolds naturally. You discover a guide within you, and then ability follows. So…stick to the basics and look forward to that Self-illumination.

I am sticking to the basics. It’s just that doing just asana does’nt necessarily figure high or exclusively on my list, my personal sadhana.

There are many different types of yoga and branches. Some can get fully illuminated just by going to church, others through loving everyone unconditionally , through devotion and complete surrender.

There is more to yoga that hatha yoga.Which is why i asked you if you could point out some of the differnces between the practices.

I know this does not answer your question, but it’s the best I can do here. I hope at least I have saved you a lot of time on the internet.

If it is too much effort to do the homework or you simply are not sure-i.e perhaps one or more of these techniques is not part of your current sadhana.Then that is fair enough. I can completely accept that.

In a nutshell,I believe it is best to adapt the practice to the individual if necessary, and that there is more to yoga than asana.

Again

1. i am exploring pranayama in general- having been looking at the iyengar system- these seem to help balnce my nadis , and you are so right - i am learning the basics but i also like information too. that is what we’re here for- No?- free disseminiation and openess of information regardless of the level of the aspirant- we are not swine!

2. I am also following the bihar schools sadhana programme for purifying the chakras. I am interested in awakenning kundalin but neither am i obsessed by it either.I believe it isimportant for self-healing and self-mastery. I also believe i have the necessary knowledge, tool-base and experience. (i sound like i’m writing a cv for a pootential employer here + laugh+)We each must live out own life siva respsonsibly. And this is something i have had to learn whichever way.I would’nt have got this far if i was’nt making some effort to embrace some of life’s lessons and it’s challeneges, the decisions it poses etc

Hey Peter Pan,

I was not challenging you. I am here to serve you. Lord knows, I have enough work to do.

The “basics” I mention would include not only asana, but pranayama and meditation as well, and you can never practice them enough. I have been trained in and have practiced all these techniques over the years, but was told what I believe to be true for the majority of people…[I]“Don’t worry so much about them. Do them when the time is right. Don’t do them unless you have a strong hatha practice, etc.”[/I] I have heeded this advice and I think it’s good, so, I am passing it on. Point is, just because you know something, or have read or seen something somewhere about how wonderful it is or how it’s going to clean your chakras (like we know what that means), does not mean you should go practice it on your own. I was just trying to stress the need for balance.

1. Agni prasana kriya and kabalbhati are the same.
  2. Agni sara kriya is the same pumping of the abdomen, but without breathing, after all your air is expelled and you are holding yourself empty. So, it’s much more physical, like a hydraulic or pneumatic piston, lots of internal force and pressure.
  3. Swana pranayama is panting like a dog through the mouth.

I practice a variation of agni sara kriya now and then, after applying bandas when sitting, after kapalabhati, or sometimes standing before nauli. I don’t pump it, i just suck everything up and back and practice holding it steady, or lifting it gently up and down. It’s how i like to do it and it’s enough. Swana pranayama I am aware of but have never practiced. I was taught that it was primarily a useful technique when practicing in a very hot climate which made sense to me since that’s why dogs do it. I’ve never practiced in such a climate, nor have I taught people who do.

Good for you.

Systems of yoga? What systems? This school, that tradition? There are many lineages, but only one yoga, and all of it is based on science. What else?

[I]“Should you be practicing any or all of these advanced techniques?”[/I]

Since when? Sounds like a teenager.

I had hoped my questions would have more meaning not only to you, but to other readers who try to apply the excess of information out there to their practice, and perhaps to impress some need for restraint, because so much of it will be of little use to most people, and in some cases harmful. It’s better to practice just one thing well, than all the technique in the world poorly. I admire your passion and dedication and wish you much success with your practice. Whatever you are ready for, I am happy for you.

peace,
siva

Dear Siva,

Sorry if i overwhelmed you a bit.

But thanks for the clarification (on differences and/or similiarities between those 4 practices-just something i have been studying recently) and sharing your helpful input and experiences here.

Yes, the best teacher is your own practice.

And All the Best to you too.:cool:

I know thiis thread is informing folk about kapalabhati but-

Regarding Swana Pranayama(dog panting breath, best done kneeeling down knees apart so the abdomen is free to move)- at the expense of awakening the abdominal muscles it can serve to quicken the breath ( so not great if you have high blood pressure,some nervous instablility,irritability etc) - the true potency of pranayam can frequently manifest after practice. As you’ve in effect set up new dynamics in your nervous system . In this event, if quickening of the breath occurrs be sure to follow up with a few rounds of slow and deep breathing until your breath returns to normal-- really elongating the breath- I mean when you think you’re full or empty, empty or fill up a bit more and , working perhaps up to a little retention, focusing just at the nostrils…This can be done in the supine position… It is both a real art ,& science ,that takes time & energy for mastery but so very potent.

Pranayama is done in the parasymapthetic state(meaning mind/body relaxed) a few hours at least after last meal particularly if the abdomen is being invovled,directly or indirectly…If you are comfortable, you are rleaxed. Which is why Iyengar taught in supine.

However ,Regulating the flow at the nostrils so that the moon and the sun(‘HathA Yoga Pradiipika’-be sure to get yourself a copy/translation- commentary of your choice- it is sublime & compact) i.e left and right or ida and pingala,surya & chandra are equally balanced is a real key in pranayama( Iyengar’s ‘Light on Pranayama’ course would seem to be all about that) and self-healing.Indeed you can awaken your spiritual force through this practice alone.This is exactly where the importance of basics comes in. Indeed basics can take you all the way home & more and can be very advanced indeed and very potent.( i believe this is the building block Siva is referring to which i agree absolutely completely about.Swami Satyanada describes as “singularly fundamental”- i.e nadi shodhana.My own experience has also shown this too.It is also how you baalnce the Third-Eye and the left & right cerebral hemispheres.Any serious yoga school out there will say the same thing or very similar)

Sorry i’ve gone off-topic. I know this thread is kapalbhati- just sharing my experience of swana pranayama which to be honest ihave’nt seen much written about( if you tried a google you would’nt see much). It is in the HYP though as one of the list of pranayamas.I’ve just ordered two more transaltions to supplement my dian atkers translation as i am just a beginner so obviously cannot read sanskrit.Okay,I really do not see the point of the sanskrit, for the average readership( if one could read sanskrit one might look at the source) , and being an enthusiastic student like to be as well-informed as i can and look at other versions.It is the classic practical hatha manual for awakening kundalini.Be sure to get yourself a copy/translation of your choice( i just order the bihar version also and the uulrich one which i’ve always hankered after for a long time) and i mean, actually study it.

repeat post

Hi Siva,

Just to clarify…

Kapalabhati is a fast breathing practice.Yes we exhale through the nose with sudden expulsion of air, with a stroke of the abdomen ,the inhale then coming as a natural result of exhalation,but it is still [B]fast[/B].

If you’re still not convinced then i would ask you to:-

1.Observe the speed of your breath during normal breathing( assuming you have no medical disorders)

2.Then observe it during kapalabhati.

You will observe that 2. is quicker than 1.

Hi!
I am facing problem in clearing my bowel whenever i practice kapalbhati more than 15min, with all other pranayam as said by Swami Ramdevji.

Bhastrika:5min,Kapalbhati 20-25min Agnisar 5times, 5times,Aanulomvilom 25min,Bramri 5times, Udgeeth: 5times.

But can’t get rid of clearing bowel early in the morning, tht y can’t practice pranayam regularly.As pranayam should not be practice until bowel cleared completely.

Plz help as pranayam help me a lot…

[QUOTE=xyz;16846]hello,
I started doing kapalbhati pranayama some time back and immediately found it immensely beneficial.After doing this i started clearing my stomach very easily,my system started improving and becoming stable and i liked it that way.I was so affected by its wonderful effects that,i got obsessed with it and started doing it all the time.When ever i was free i would start doing kapalbhati irrespective of the time of the day and some times after food. I also started exerting lot of force to exhale.And slowly i started having problems in clearing my stomach and my stomach started to be upset all the time unlike how it was at the beginning, when i had started doing kapalbhati. I looked up the net and i realized that i was doing it at the wrong time. And now i have lot of problems with my stomach. My breathing patterns have also changed. how can i fix this? Since i have discovered that i was doing it wrong all this while, i have stopped it. I want to do this pranayama consistently, but want to clear my stomach first. Can you suggest an ayurvedic laxative except isabgul? Please help.

I have another query about kapalbhati, should one make a conscious effort to contract his stomach or it happens automatically?
Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Check in with a teacher. As you already know you were overdoing the exercise and agitating your system. Omit the exercise for now so as not to run into any more problems. Don’t take any ayurvedic medicine, especially a laxative, without consulting an ayurvedic specialist first.

Never refer to the net for Yoga techniques!

More is not better.

Swami Ramdev states clealry not tp do kapalbhati more than 10 min. You take a break after 30 exhalations:

Bhastrika is not to be practised more than 5 minutes a day.

From my points of view, your stomach will automatically clean. but you need do it in a right way. Do it always when your stomach is empty as you told me that you have some problem with the stomach. Then keep it continue with kapalbhati but do it in an ideal way, initially do it slowly like one breathing in 3 sec something like that and improve it gradually.

Start learning pranayama from experts we are at Arhanta yoga offer pranayama classes from experts at an affordable price.