L4/L5 L5/S1 disc bulge

What exercises does your doctor have you doing?

Wow ! I have very similar problem l4,l5 and s1 problem… Can’t fold forward with straight legs (bent legs like child pose or baddhakonasa is ok) because of extreme tightness in left hamstring. Left sciatic problems also. Chiropractor didn’t really help me and physical therapy helped very minimally only.

What did help me alot is ART (active release technique) . A massage therapist suggested it to me and referred me to another chiropractor who specializes in ArT.

Art works by “lubrication” or “moving” the sciatic nerve around. After sessions my forward fold would immediately improve alot! Then it would get worse again a couple of days later :confused:

I’m still not 100%. It’s been 2months.

pinoyvegasyogi4, have you tried yoga therapy? i’m working with few people (sciatica, THR, ddd, arthritis) and the yoga program seem to be working for them. we do yoga asnas, breath, mudras, yoga nidra. after few classes people go pain free first time in decades…

I would love to try that city monk , I have been meaning to. Although, I live in las Vegas and there doesn’t seem to be anyone here. The pain is still there and it has been 4months now. Can you recommend some one maybe in California or vegas? Will one session be enough if i find someone in california? How do I even look for these yoga therapist?

go look to the directory of therapists http://www.iytyogatherapy.com/therapist.php

i can send you the class i’ve made for my guys to… it is in excel and you will have to google things or ask me…but it is kinda hard over the email

one session is usually not enough, constant guidance is desirable,

ask therapist to make a list for you so u can practice according to the notes.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;75457]go look to the directory of therapists http://www.iytyogatherapy.com/therapist.php

i can send you the class i’ve made for my guys to… it is in excel and you will have to google things or ask me…but it is kinda hard over the email

one session is usually not enough, constant guidance is desirable,

ask therapist to make a list for you so u can practice according to the notes.[/QUOTE]

Wow citymonk. Turns out there are like 4-5 therapist registered in my city. We have a small yoga community and im really surprised that i have not heard of this people . Any tips on how I should narrow down my selection?

[QUOTE=pinoyvegasyogi420;75566] Any tips on how I should narrow down my selection?[/QUOTE]

i’m glad that you found them:) selection?..credentials…reviews…recommendations…have they worked with similar problem before…free initial consultation…you name it

Hope you guys are doing great.
It has been 3 months I had pain sometimes light some times average in my left leg. Two weeks ago it became worst so I went and got my lumbar spine MRI. Found out that I have herniation or dislocation of a disc between L4 AND L5 just near the hip. The report says;
Loss of normal lumbar lordosis is seen, which may be secondary to muscles spasm. Disc dehydration seen at L5 - S1. At this level there is a left posterolateral and central diffuse disc protrusion causing a moderate to severe left lateral recess stenosis with the left forminal stenosis with thecal compression and a right forminal narrowing.
Mild diffused disc bulge seen at L4 - L5 causing thecal indentation with encroachment and narrowing of the neural formina on either side.
The caudae equina and filum terminale are normal. The paravertebral soft tissues are normal. No facet joint abnormality is seen. The vertebral bodies show no abnormal signal to indicate bone marrow replacement.
So, I went to a good doctor adviced by few of my relatives. He said it could get worst if I would not take it seriously. The medicines he prescribed are as follows; 5 day plan
Neubrol Forte 1+0+1
Otek 1+0+0
Rizik 1+0+0
Alp 0.25 mg 1+0+1
He also gave me an injection called Depomedrol for the inflamation caused due to dislocation.
Third day of this above aforesaid prescription and a complete rest gave me a complete overhaul and I felt just normal. But that day again I went on with my normal routine and when I came back I had this back pain again. Someone from my family adviced to keep a hot bag on my leg and I started using it for which I guess it has got worst. Now I can hardly take 20 to 25 steps and I cannot further move on or lift my left leg due to intense pressure, pain, and numbness in my left foot.
Please advice or help me what is happening with me and how severe it is?

[QUOTE=Amin;77756]Hope you guys are doing great.
It has been 3 months I had pain sometimes light some times average in my left leg. Two weeks ago it became worst so I went and got my lumbar spine MRI. Found out that I have herniation or dislocation of a disc between L4 AND L5 just near the hip. The report says;
Loss of normal lumbar lordosis is seen, which may be secondary to muscles spasm. Disc dehydration seen at L5 - S1. At this level there is a left posterolateral and central diffuse disc protrusion causing a moderate to severe left lateral recess stenosis with the left forminal stenosis with thecal compression and a right forminal narrowing.
Mild diffused disc bulge seen at L4 - L5 causing thecal indentation with encroachment and narrowing of the neural formina on either side.
The caudae equina and filum terminale are normal. The paravertebral soft tissues are normal. No facet joint abnormality is seen. The vertebral bodies show no abnormal signal to indicate bone marrow replacement.
So, I went to a good doctor adviced by few of my relatives. He said it could get worst if I would not take it seriously. The medicines he prescribed are as follows; 5 day plan
Neubrol Forte 1+0+1
Otek 1+0+0
Rizik 1+0+0
Alp 0.25 mg 1+0+1
He also gave me an injection called Depomedrol for the inflamation caused due to dislocation.
Third day of this above aforesaid prescription and a complete rest gave me a complete overhaul and I felt just normal. But that day again I went on with my normal routine and when I came back I had this back pain again. Someone from my family adviced to keep a hot bag on my leg and I started using it for which I guess it has got worst. Now I can hardly take 20 to 25 steps and I cannot further move on or lift my left leg due to intense pressure, pain, and numbness in my left foot.
Please advice or help me what is happening with me and how severe it is?[/QUOTE]

hello amin i feel your pain… sorry to hear. i have a “big” herniation in my L4/L5 which is surgical but im trying to cure myself holistically. i have been in pain since march… i will share with you what i know and what have learned from other therapist, doctors and most importantly yogis :smiley:

well first of… my herniation of the l4/l5 is posteriorly… meaning the disc is going back wards compressing the spinal nerves (90% of injury is like this) mostly on the left side ( thus i have same pain down left leg like you…

forward folding with straight legs is very difficult and painful for me. backbends (even intense ones feel great)

i normally practice a vigorous high power ashtanga practice… i had to stop or very mindfully slow down my practice… ALOT !!! now i mostly do restorative or yin yoga… there is plenty sequences on youtube if you want to get into it… but ofcourse… its best to seek out a yoga therapist as stated above or a physical therapist ofcourse…

My advice keep practicing yoga mindfully. seek out help of a teacher. its very simple… to quote david williams “if it hurts, your doing it wrong”

backbends done properly with or without props should feel very nice to you… does it?

some other therapy i would like to suggest that works for me is… inversion table ( i got mine used $80 on craigslist )

sleeping with a lumbar pillow ( so its like a little backbend when you sleep)

youtube and research the “mckenzie protocol” its an program designed by a physical therapist for disc herniation.

also… pain meds did not do much for me… anti-inflamatories helped alot but i cut that out completely and i only do herbal remedies as anti-inflamatories.

please message me for more info or how i may be able to help. good luck to you!

lol to the subject :(…i am jst so unhappy and pissed at my own mistakes that i have the subject!

@ a small age of 23 only

TIP to all: Never lift anything in life that doesnot relate to your strength…and Never ever overlift!

I have :

1. straighteeneed lumbar curve
  2. diffuse disc buldge indenting thecal sac, encroaching bilateral neural formina and probable impingement on bilateral bufdding nerve roots at L4-L5
  3. Mild diffuse disc buldge at L5 -S1

cant i do horse riding again? bike riding?

and its been 2 months i cannot even sleep properly…back mains and moreover i can feel a current of numbness in right leg

doctor has advised phisotheraphy and back extension

can anyone throw some light on what exercise should i practice do close this chapter at once and for all and get back to normal

Dear frns

i am Bishal Tamang age 37. i am suffered from severe right leg pain. doctor after studying my MRI report suggest for operation. But i need alternate better treatment than operation. coz i dont want to take any risk. so plz give me suggestions what should i do for the better treatment. i am waiting replies as soon as possible. here my MRI reports

1. Partial disc desiccation at L3-L4,L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.
  2. Diffuse disc bulge with anterior annular tear at L3-L4 level causing indentation on the thecal sac and narrowing interior part of the bilateral neural loramina at the same level.
  3. Diffuse disc bulge with posterocentral protrusion at L4-L5 level causing indentation on the anterior thecal sac and narrowing the interior part of the bilateral neural loramina.
  4. Diffuse disc bulge with posterocentral and right paracentral protrusion at L5-S1 leve causing indentation on the anterior thecal sac and narrowing the interior part of the bilateral neural foramina(right more than left)
  5. Modic end plate changes and smaller anterior osteophytes are seen in L4 and L5 vertebrae.
  6. Schmorl’s node in the superior end plates of L3 and L4 vertebrae.
  7. Reduced anterior height of L1 and L4 vertebral bodies noted.

infact i had an accident before 19 years ago, at that time doctor had said only anterior compression in vertebrae and i had taken almost three months bed rest at that time as a treatment. right now i am facing right leg pain starting frm low back, pelvic and thigh frm one month. i dont know what to do. i need alternative treatment. Is there any alternate treatment for my problem.

Sincerly looking reply
Bishal Tamang
Nepal