Maximum time in Headstand

I do it based on my intention for the pose in my practice.
And sometimes I do it until I’m too fatigued to do it any longer with the appropriate actions.

[QUOTE=yalgaar;21344]Currently I am doing headstand for around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on a regular basis. I read somewhere that it is safe to do it as long as 12 minutes.

I was wondering how long other yogis here do their headstand for. What are the reasons for doing it for certain time? I do it for around 2 1/2 minutes becuase I start feeling a bit uncomfortable and also didn’t know 12 minute was a limit. I intend to extend my time little by little more.

I also wanted to ask why 12 minute limit has been set, what are the bad negative effects after 12 minutes?[/QUOTE]

What 12 minute rule ?

Hi there,

I personally find that being in headstand is awesome, I can stay there for some eight minutes now. I did some experimenting too, like remaining a shorter time and then getting out, getting back in, but it does not actually make so much of a difference. I read that “some Yogis” remain in headstand for periods like 2 hours. I don’t really remember where I have that from, though.

[QUOTE=TonyTamer;22338]That’s a very convincing abstract, as far as it goes , but sampling 35 is not that conclusive. I’d say there is room for doubt since all carriers are not necessarily good carriers and to extrapolate to yoga, you would have to distinguish between well-balanced head-standers and those that wobble, new head-standers and experienced, warmed-up and cool etc. Most Carriers carry from necessity and early and as much as they can carry,and that should not be the case with yoga enthusiasts who approach a head-stand with venerable respect and cautiously. Namaste[/QUOTE]

According to yogic tradition one who can do the Shirshana for three hours can conquer time ! Did he manage to ?:confused:

That apart I have been practicing the headstand for 25 years. I stand for 3 min and there has been no damage to my spine so far !

Hi,

I have been doing Yoga since 7 years and as I know, the postures are just to relax you and your body. So it should be your comfort, never look and go through what other say. If you are feeling good and feeling quite healthy doing it for 2 minutes then continue the same.

After all, we need to carry on Yoga as part of our routine schedule to maintain healthy life. Let me tell you one more thing, it is not the time you stay in each posture but it is the right postural balance you do in whatever time you will be.

So just continue as per your body’s capacity and comfortable. Good Luck.

[QUOTE=nampillu;58258]Hi,

I have been doing Yoga since 7 years and as I know, the postures are just to relax you and your body. So it should be your comfort, never look and go through what other say. If you are feeling good and feeling quite healthy doing it for 2 minutes then continue the same.

After all, we need to carry on Yoga as part of our routine schedule to maintain healthy life. Let me tell you one more thing, it is not the time you stay in each posture but it is the right postural balance you do in whatever time you will be.

So just continue as per your body’s capacity and comfortable. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Most of the traditional schools would not agree with you. Asanas were developed to prepare the body for long hours in meditation. And the benefit of asanas begin to be received by the body /mind only when the asanas are held long enough. “Sthiram Sukham Asanam.” In fact the practice of asanas is often discontinued by sages when they acheive the objective of being able to sit for long hours in meditation.

[QUOTE=reaswaran;58261]Most of the traditional schools would not agree with you. Asanas were developed to prepare the body for long hours in meditation. And the benefit of asanas begin to be received by the body /mind only when the asanas are held long enough. “Sthiram Sukham Asanam.” In fact the practice of asanas is often discontinued by sages when they acheive the objective of being able to sit for long hours in meditation.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree, I have never seen this context in any reference nor I have been told like this when I learnt Yoga. I did my course and while taking up course my Yoga Teacher told that it is important to be in right posture rather to say how much time you will be in the posture.

Now this is fact that no one can be sure on this, we all have learnt from different teachers and every teacher has his own findings. So what I would rather say it just practice as much as you can initially and then you will feel yourself comfortable for long hours in days to come when you are comfortable with the asana.

Whilst I cannot disagree with postures enabling one to be relaxed and comfortable in the body I think we are in danger of limiting what yoga suggests is possible ,and these statements alone do not convey what even the simple and humble yoga asana can lead too , and the efforts needed for most of us to achieve those possibilities .

[QUOTE=nampillu;58326]I do not agree, I have never seen this context in any reference nor I have been told like this when I learnt Yoga. I did my course and while taking up course my Yoga Teacher told that it is important to be in right posture rather to say how much time you will be in the posture.

Now this is fact that no one can be sure on this, we all have learnt from different teachers and every teacher has his own findings. So what I would rather say it just practice as much as you can initially and then you will feel yourself comfortable for long hours in days to come when you are comfortable with the asana.[/QUOTE]

I have studied yoga at Kaivalyadham, with teachers from the Bihar School and got my TTC at Sivananda, Neyyar. The consensus is the same everywhere that unless you can hold the position there are only minimal benefits. For otherwise there is no difference between Yogaasanas and Gymnastics. The difference lies in the concentration of the mind on the postures. Also there is a correlation between holds, relaxation and oxygen debt in the body.

In any case, I am not trying to change your mind. You are entitled to your own views.

There are benefits and there are benefits… the gift is ready when the student is ready for it. Spiritual ambition can still have the accent on the 2nd word and that weakens the concept of spiritual evolution. There’s a fine balance between making headway and enjoying the trip as well . Namaste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHtIbX3a0k this is a great lecture followed by a great demo and in the middle he shows how relaxation makes all the difference in a headstand which makes the difference in effect- watch the whole thing as he halves his heartbeats while doing nauli- namaste old friends- hope you are well

I do 15 minutes in morning and 10 minutes in evening from last 6 months . If you feel good then continue up to 12 minutes no problem.More time will benefit for hair. I was totally bald due to fungal infection now all of my hair come back due to Headstand.

(from my personal experience). i started headstand from 2 minutes. every day i stand 5 seconds more, today i stood 8 minutes and 20 seconds. i don't feel any negative effects. opposite the more time i spend in Salamba Sirsasana the calmer i become, i enter sort of meditative state of mind. i plan to reach the 3 hour mark.

Headstand is a very good technique offering you so many benefits. But care must be taken if you are a beginner or a person prone to stroke (Hypertensive and like that)..

Always start with a time lesser than a minute and gradually it may be increased to a time. Some adepts practice them for more than half an hour. You should not feel pressure on your neck or eyes. If you experience a little discomfort discontinue it immediately. It is advised that at the initial stage, it should be performed under the guidance of a competent guru who is an adept in asanas.