Truth about yoga (a article for discussion)

Elisabeth,

I googled like you said and found your webpage. That guru looks like a douche. No Guru “crushes” the student’s ego to help her grow spiritually. And most importantly, any guru who suppresses “doubt” in the followers is a big fraud. It is the ultimate give away. Doubt is the most important method of learning about anything, including “self”.

Sorry for you to have had that experience. But some “gurus” are even worse - they are known to sexually abuse their followers. Everybody should be beware of such frauds.

First You got a great information!
Thanks for sharing this, this forum is very helpful. Keep coming up with such post in future also.

Very well researched thread…
Awfully useful forum! I am really thankful to you for given that me with such sympathetic information. Thanks a lot for generous out. Keep relocation.

This Article is too long but it glued me to read entire post.

This is the longest period time I seat at one position, the last time I did at my Guru Unity’s ashram for Mediation.

aram, thank for the advice

The goal of Yoga is Yoga: The goal or destination of Yoga is Yoga itself, union itself, of the little self and the True Self, a process of awakening to the preexisting union that is called Yoga.
Regards,

The roots of yoga and of Hinduism are the same, and it can certainly be argued that the beginnings of the yoga tradition pre-date the beginnings of Hinduism by a good bit. They grew up together, but that doesn’t mean if you do yoga you’re (necessarily) Hindu. Speaking Sanskrit doesn’t make one Hindu any more than studying Latin makes one Catholic.

And food for thought. It’s ironic to me that a polytheistic religion believes that all deities are expressions of one Absolute, while a monotheistic religion where there is only one God views other gods as dangerous. Seems like we got our terminology backwards.

Nicely said.

[QUOTE=Chandra;1763]“There is only one God but his names are countless, and countless are the aspects under which He can be considered. Name Him with any name and worhsip Him in the form you like best, you are sure to reach Him.”
—Ramakrishna[/QUOTE]

Awesome quote mate!

I think the problem behind all religion and spiritual practice comes from guilt. You are told something is bad, doesn’t matter what explanation they give, it is just bad because the church (whichever church it is) says so. If you think about Christ’s philosophy for example, does it differ THAT much from Buddha’s Dharma? Aren’t most religions focusing in the exact same thing? Being “good” to others?

Anyway,
A religion or practice which thinks a practice to fulfil your health or practice compassion and love to others is a sin, makes me have some doubts about what’s behind its idea…

The article was written by incompetent person.

Everything is one basket: Nostradamus, Taro, Yoga, Hindu, spiritual endeavor of psychopathic woman, hypnotic trance.

When I started yoga in Ukraine, years ago, people were gossiping that we are satanists and we are eating babies… They would call to police to report us chanting:))

Just reminds me story about Galileo, who was burned alive for his statement that the Earth is round and rotates around the sun.

LETS SEND compassion to those people who are aggressive to everything unknown and even do not put any effort to learn.

[QUOTE=Mexico Yoga;31052]The roots of yoga and of Hinduism are the same, and it can certainly be argued that the beginnings of the yoga tradition pre-date the beginnings of Hinduism by a good bit. They grew up together, but that doesn’t mean if you do yoga you’re (necessarily) Hindu. Speaking Sanskrit doesn’t make one Hindu any more than studying Latin makes one Catholic.

And food for thought. It’s ironic to me that a polytheistic religion believes that all deities are expressions of one Absolute, while a monotheistic religion where there is only one God views other gods as dangerous. Seems like we got our terminology backwards.[/QUOTE]

If you spend a lot of time on Wikipedia you should get Wikipanion.

more on [B]Wikipanion[/B]

:slight_smile:

It is purely spiritual and does not contradict anyone’s faith

Yoga is not a religion oriented/based exercise rather its a means of achieving spiritual and mental health, so even a christian can perform yoga, no problem.

That was beautiful! Thanks. (& goes to show to truly wrong some forum members are) Thank you SWAMI! Thank you! :smiley:

I said the same things Chid anada said - where is my Glory and praise?

Without my glory and praise how can I practice humility?

Let me sum up . . .

Yoga (dear ones) - is the secret of life.

[QUOTE=The Scales;45742]I said the same things Chid anada said - where is my Glory and praise?

Without my glory and praise how can I practice humility?

Let me sum up . . .

Yoga (dear ones) - is the secret of life.[/QUOTE]

You should post that Swami “Yoga isn’t Hindu” write-up over on that other thread. :wink:

[QUOTE=Indra Deva;45745]You should post that Swami “Yoga isn’t Hindu” write-up over on that other thread. :wink:[/QUOTE]

Fred would just come up with some Bullogne.

They dont’ care they just want to toot their horns.

[QUOTE=Hubert;29271]The question is not who is right.

The question is: would we have a better world if yoga did not exist ? Would we have a better world if christianity did not exist ?

Whenever we question the right to exist of something, we actually question the purpose behind it, and usually we fail to realize that purpose.

Basicly, that means that we put our human judgement above a higher judgement, our human reason above a higher reason. Of course, we have the right to do that, but than we instantly lost the right to call ourself spiritual, because we betray our inability to imagine anything higher, better than we are. Those who judge (anything !) can’t call themselves religious, or spiritual disciples. Wheter we are are vegan and have a yogamat, or we pray at the Sunday church, until we judge, we are hypocrits.[/QUOTE]

There is no doubt what-so-ever that the world would be better without Christianity. More evil has been justified in the name of Christianity than pretty much all other religions and wars combined.

Jesus was an interesting character for sure, but the church he left on this planet is an abomination. Perhaps it does have it’s place for the hard core materialist that needs some way into the spirituality even if it is edge wise.

Most christians have not read the bible and have no idea what sorts of things their god commands. Here are a few examples of God condoning murder.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17)

“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 )

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27)

A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9)

here’s a few verses from the new testament justifying slavery.

Luke 12:45-48: “The lord [owner] of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”

Matthew 18:25: “But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.”

Colossians 4:1: “Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.”

Timothy 6:1-3 “Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort. If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;”

My problem with all abrahamic religions is they have replaced true spiritual seeking with dogma. Sure hindu texts also have quite a bit of violence in them, but then most hindu’s haven’t forgotten the importance of direct experience and not just dogam. Christians need to do what ever it takes to get real spritual practices back into their religion or it will continue to loose favor with people as time goes on.

I have nothing against peaceful cristians at all, but their Holy book is witten such that any act of violence may be justified with those who have a different view of the world than them. So I accept Christians but completely reject their Holy Bible.

-I was raised southern Baptists and it was a very hard, long process for me to break free. But I found God despite that upbrining…however, it was a long haul for me. I went through a lot of very dark years as I ‘defied’ God and started questioning.

My sincere wish is that all Christians find away to restore the real teachings of Jesus.

True , dogma fossilizes a living truth. History lies. As with many things the truth is within despite how it gets there. For example : is it inherently important that Don Juan of the Carlos Casteneda books actually existed ? Did Romeo and Juliet have to be actual for us to take away that hate poisins Love and Love heals. Are the teachings in those books more or less true either way ? What I take from Christianity is Love God and Love your neighbor, with your whole heart as you do yourself. What in any religion is at the core , any different ? We all find ourselves at different watering holes-what we do with the water before we drink it is important. I wouldn’t drink from the Ganges or the Mississippi unless at it’s source in Nature or after boiling it. Namaste.

I find it really fascinating, in a curious kind of way, how much people focus on religion, or there lack of, when talking about yoga. Perhaps I’m too much of a “new ager” (I don’t actually know what that means), but I don’t see why yoga can’t be a personalized experience for everyone. For one person, it can mean the achieving a certain level of spirituality; and for others, it can be completely physical. While it is clearly obvious that yoga is rooted in Hinduism, that doesn’t mean it can’t represent a more Christian significance for those who seek it. Perhaps I’m naive, but yoga to me is so many diffferent wonderful things. Given my mood, need, day, yoga gives me specific nourishment not founded on any ancient or new age dogma.