Yoga and Alcohol

[QUOTE=Pandara;37626] I have no desire to partake of any alcohol and I am happy with that.[/QUOTE]

Here you go! and I consider this getting to the upper level, regardless of whether one is a yogi or not

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;37724]
With that being said CityMonk, I can respect that you choose not to drink because you feel it prohibits you from being a good yogi.[/QUOTE]

Lotusgirl, your assumption is incorrect this time.

I do not try to be be a perfect yogi, wear yogi pants, and starve to death eating only broccoli. I do enjoy me juicy stake once in a while and I catch and kill fish for consumption, which is no-no for a “good yogi”… I even curse and get mad!

But stake and fish do not make one feel blah next day, unless one has an allergy.:slight_smile: And an alcohol does.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;37723]my opinion that you are an alcoholic. For me Yoga and THAT* amount of alcohol is not acceptable for my way of yogi.

You asked for the opinion, not appreciation, right?

Plus desire for the alcohol and that “make me hight” feelings is not good for yogi.

If you continue practicing you will find out one day a strong aversion to alcohol … what is the body asking for more purification.

*(By THAT amount I mean 2-3 glasses. We can not avoid alcohol in NATURAL living. Actually the body needs alcohols. Some foods especially fermented contains [U]traces[/U] of “right” alcohol…but not 3 glasses!!:slight_smile: )

Namaste[/QUOTE]

Hi CityMonk,

The medical definition for alcoholism is in fact the following:

[I]?Alcoholism, also known as alcohol [U]dependence[/U], is a disabling [U]addictive[/U] disorder. It is characterized by [U]compulsive and uncontrolled [/U]consumption of alcohol despite its negative effects on the drinker’s health, relationships, and social standing.?[/I]

I enjoy and appreciate wine in moderation, and I have gone long periods without drinking and have never felt any withdraw or lack. I have also know alcoholics, and done voluntary work with alcoholics, and trust me there is a very big difference between me and an alcoholic!

I get the idea that there is a personal attachment for you when it comes to your opinions regarding alcohol, and this might be blurring your objectivity on the topic.

I agree with most of what you have said, but I do not agree that ?Alcohol is a poison?..yes, it can be terribly destructive and addictive, but it does not become this for everyone.

It is entirely a personal decision, you choose not to drink, some of us choose to occasionally drink, but we need not be branded as alcoholics.

Water taken in moderation cannot hurt anybody.

Mark Twain

Hi CM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl
With that being said CityMonk, I can respect that you choose not to drink because you feel it prohibits you from being a good yogi.
Lotusgirl, your assumption is incorrect this time.

I do not try to be be a perfect yogi, wear yogi pants, and starve to death eating only broccoli. I do enjoy me juicy stake once in a while and I catch and kill fish for consumption, which is no-no for a “good yogi”… I even curse and get mad!

But stake and fish do not make one feel blah next day, unless one has an allergy. And an alcohol does.

My apologies for assuming your aversion to alcohol was due to your yoga practice. I also was not assuming you were trying to be the perfect yogi.

Drinking on a regular basis does not constitute alcoholism. I agree with Omamana and what was stated.

The N. I. H. states moderate alcohol consumption is safe. Alcoholism is a Chronic disease with 4 main features:

1. Craving alcohol
  2. Loss of control
  3. Physical dependence
  4. Tolerance changes. Takes more to get the ‘high’.

I do not believe alcohol is poison. For alcoholics it is poison. But not for all.
My father was an alcoholic and there is absolutely no comparison between how and why he drank and how and why I drink. I went through a lot of Alanon mtgs and actually ended up working with alcoholics for a short time. Night and day difference.

I drink at times a bit of alcohol socially, it is more for cultural reasons. I also accept and eat usually the food when I am invited. Moderate drinking affects a little the quality of energy, but it affects nonetheless.
Alcohol and drugs can help the mind to by-pass some knots of the superficial mind and change quickly the state of mind, thus in some cases it can help an artist to create for instance. But there are inherent tamasic effects associated psychologically and physically. In extreme cases for an alcohol addict, alcohol deprivation can trigger death. Since a few years, I do not find benefits. Drugs usually just worsen my state of mind, I do not need them. Yoga is a better and safer way to open the doors of perception.

Philippe

CityMonk,

If you’ve never inhaled the bouquet of a good wine, you’re really missing out on something good. Just in case you haven’t, here’s what you need:

1. A decent bottle of cabernet sauvignon, or some other good red wine. $10 at least. I like Gnarly Head.
  2. A good wine glass, with a stem, and with an opening at the top that is narrower than the bowl of the glass.

Fill the glass half full or a little less. Swirl the wine around in the glass, then put your nose inside the glass as far as it will go and inhale. I think if you do this you might change your mind. Wine is food. Not all that yogic, mind you, but hey, you’ve got to smell the roses now and then. Oh yes, and by all means, drink the wine.

follow your bliss I would say

I remember reading that Buddha suggested that it may lead to heedlessness

I suppose this might mean being legless?
Maybe thinking unnecessary thoughts?
Perhaps its just about not going too far with it

Kind Regards

The body is willing, but the spirit is weak. So I have to find stronger spirits :). (I’m helping my daughter make up puns for her homework)

Many who practice yoga aim for a lifestyle centered on health and mindfulness, which can clash with the effects of alcohol. For those in the yoga community looking to manage their drinking, tools like Intoxalock could be helpful. Intoxalock reviews suggest that it's effective at monitoring alcohol levels, which could help maintain the mental clarity needed for yoga. Making mindful choices about alcohol can really support the holistic health benefits that come from yoga.

Hi Friend,

you asked about combination of yoga and alcohol.

according to researches drinking while yoga can be very dangerous
for your health. it might harm your physical and mental health both.
This happend because of vulnerability and confusion which alcohol can create
in your body.

be safe and healthy.