Yoga and Sex vs Celibacy

Dear Friend:

I think that seals the discussion.

regards, anand

Neither sivananda nor satyananda were masters.

Their BUSINESS was the sale of yoga.

[QUOTE=The Scales;63288]Neither sivananda nor satyananda were masters.

Their BUSINESS was the sale of yoga.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

Have you visited the [B]Divine Life Society[/B] [I]Ashram[/I] at Hrishikesh?

regards, anand

[QUOTE=The Scales;63288]Neither sivananda nor satyananda were masters.
Their BUSINESS was the sale of yoga.[/QUOTE]

Elaborate please…

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63291]Dear Friend:

Have you visited the [B]Divine Life Society[/B] [I]Ashram[/I] at Hrishikesh?

regards, anand[/QUOTE]

nope.

[QUOTE=panoramix;63294]Elaborate please…[/QUOTE]

Masters don’t disseminate wrong knowledge.

[QUOTE=The Scales;63301]nope.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

Please do visit.

The Divine Life Society, Muni ki Reti, Hrishikesh, was founded by Swami Shivananda, a doctor who gave up a good practice to become a great yogi. Swami Satyananda Saraswati, who founded The Bihar School of Yoga, was his disciple.

I do not belong to either of these Institutions. However, I have visited and even stayed at Shivananda Ashram at Hrishikesh. Not a penny is charged to any visitor, including food.

All activities at this ashram are carried out with a deep sense of service. An overall atmosphere of serenity and helpfulness pervades on the entire beautiful campus. I found even the most learned swamis there being most helpful and humble.

The Yoga that one can learn here is the “Yoga of synthesis”, meaning, that since personalities are not compartmentalised, not just one kind of yoga is to be practised. Rather, a synthesis has to be evolved in order to progress spiritually.

The Bihar School of Yoga is of course the internationally acclaimed institution founded by Swami Satyananda and currently headed by Swami Niranjananda, a renuncient Sanyasi, who has done stellar service in the field of Yoga, while himself attaining a high spiritual level.

The numerous books published by both these Institutions have brought Yoga to the doorsteps of any ardent seeker, wherever he/ she is in the world.

I strongly feel that your opinion on both these spiritual personalities and their institutions is ill informed, unverified, unexperienced and hence, rash and immature.

It reminds me of the challenging, but immature inquisitiveness of a person while he was “asking questions” to his Guru. His Guru gently replied that his “chitta” i.e. mindstuff, (or let us say inner attitude) was not yet prepared to even ask questions.

Hence, persons who join any ashram are first made to sweep the floor and wash utensils. Only when a certain humility develops they are told about yoga and spirituality.

Those whose ego cannot stand all this, soon run away. Those who continue with humility are rewarded with good progress. Such people, even after attaining high levels and even are declared as swamis, continue to offer menial services in these ashrams.

It is said that we live in an age where spiritual progress is possible only to those who can control two organs viz. the wagging tongue and the wagging sex organ.

So if you have the resources to personally please, do visit the places you mention. You may change your opinion. Meanwhile, you may also refer to their publications on the net.

regards, anand

[QUOTE=The Scales;63303]Masters don’t disseminate wrong knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Give me examples.
Pick up one of their books, and quote, contrast and correct, please.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63313]

[B]The Divine Life Society, Muni ki Reti, Hrishikesh, was founded by Swami Shivananda, a doctor who gave up a good practice to become a great yogi. Swami Satyananda Saraswati, who founded The Bihar School of Yoga, was his disciple.[/B]

and written lots of books!!! - the scales

[/QUOTE]

Business must be good huh?

[QUOTE=panoramix;63319]Give me examples.
Pick up one of their books, and quote, contrast and correct, please.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I prefer not too.

[QUOTE=The Scales;63400]Business must be good huh?[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

[I][B]“Jaisa Bhava, taisi siddhi”[/B][/I]. It means, one’s inner attitude is the cause of attaining to the fruit of that attitude. So your words express your inner attitude viz. that of everything being business.

With this attitude one can become a good businessman, but not a yogi.

Regards, anand

These are some very interesting posts !!

Ashwin

Its all about doing everything with awareness… I really dont think , being single or getting married makes any difference

Ashwin

[QUOTE=artofliving;63516]Its all about doing everything with awareness… I really dont think , being single or getting married makes any difference

Ashwin[/QUOTE]

I’m not so sure…

There’s something uncanny about semen. I have checked through a calendar and my own experience the close relationship between semen discharge and amrita/soma production.

And with prana/kundalini as well.

And further, millions of men agree that ejaculating is draining to their body’s energy and mental clarity.

I agree… i am talking about getting married and being single!!

There are certain ways in which we are supposed to have coitus! If done with love it can actually elevate you.

But when it comes to yoga or spirituality… i don think being single is a prerequisite. :slight_smile:

panoramix,

“There’s something uncanny about semen”

Yes, preserving your sexual energy will help to channel that energy in various different ways, and your mind and body will absorb certain qualities which may be helpful for coming to one’s awakening. But if you remain celibate for too long - it also has the opposite effect, you become sexually repressed. It should just be accepted as a simple fact - that nature has not intended man to be celibate. That would be a great threat to the survival of the species. And these yogis and monks who are trying to remain celibate for their whole lives are just trying to walk against the current, they are trying to fight with their own nature. Celibacy is useful, but it is my own understanding that is useful just temporarily, the help gather and channel your energies in a certain direction. As a way of life, it can be tremendously dangerous - and often creates more damage in your mind than it helps destroy. There are of course certain exceptions, but they are as few as one can imagine. For most people - they will simply end up sexually repressed, although very controlled. But control does not mean freedom.

[QUOTE=artofliving;63516]Its all about doing everything with awareness… I really dont think , being single or getting married makes any difference

Ashwin[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

I couldn’t understand the meaning of your first sentence.

About being single or married, well, [I][B]manu smruti[/B][/I] stipulates the days on which [I][B]grihastas[/B][/I], i.e. householders may engage in sex, without substantially jeopardising the yogic aspect of preserving the reproductive fluids, so as these fluids remain available for [B]transmutation into [I]ojas[/I][/B] i.e. spiritual energy.

In [I][B]Hatha Yoga[/B][/I], the [I][B]Vajaroli[/B][/I] is available to aspirants who have the necessary resolve to suddenly switch on an attitude of detachment towards this very ancient sport!!

For other yoga aspirants, celibacy for the singles and [I][B]manu smriti[/B][/I] advice for householders is the practical way.

regards, anand

With reference to post no #157 i would like to throw some light on celibacy. Well if people follow patanjali yoga sutra of living the initial requirement of starting this path are yam and niyam under which celibacy stands a firm ground. Celibacy doesn’t mean suppersing the innate desire of sex but rather freeing oneself from lustful emotion. Because there lustful emotion causes individual to follow a downward course of life and conscious equating individual to an animal psyche which is “prohibited” for native in spiritual path. When the author of post 157 says that nature has not intended man to be celibate,makes me think he is equating procreation to celibacy and as far as i m concerned celibacy in turn increases the consciousness and awareness as it makes the native different from animal psyche by taking him towards upward course of awareness. It doesn’t have an opposite effect if you remain celibate for too long rather its the duty of the native of spirituality to free himself from lust and be celibate and as the case of householder yogi is concerned ejaculation for the purpose of creation is his free will as a householder and ejaculation in this case doesn’t mean for him dat he broke his celibacy unless lust overtook the procreation process. And celibacy is of utmost importance in sex in tantrik yoga where the essence of semen follow the upward course as semen have a two way process one lustful sex where the psyche can be related to animal and other divine sex where psyche turns to divinity;it may require a partner at the initial state in tantrik wisdom and in advanced state and in initial state for some people(like in raja yoga) who try to perform inner sex(antar maithun) by the union of kundalini with divinity in the sahasrar(crown chakra). So when you say that yogi who try to remain celibate walks against the current,fighting there own nature;shows superficial knowledge in this regard rather i would say they are trying to free themselves from the clutches of nature and instead they are trying to follow the real nature of human psyche of celibacy which helps them trace path of divinity rather than animalism. And procreation is a different matter than celibacy and celibacy if properly understood is the innate nature of human being. Its my understanding in this regard,well people are free to discover theirs and if nature intents whats the right course for human beings than there’s no way of salvation as the human soul is always free from its clutches, its only the nature and its process makes us think the other way.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63526]For other yoga aspirants, celibacy for the singles and [I][B]manu smriti[/B][/I] advice for householders is the practical way.
regards, anand[/QUOTE]

Does the manu smriti advice about masturbation for singles?
I cannot withhold my bindu for longer than one month, my pubic region starts hurting…

[quote=anand kulkarni;63405]dear friend:

“jaisa bhava, taisi siddhi”. It means, one’s inner attitude is the cause of attaining to the fruit of that attitude. So your words express your inner attitude viz. That of everything being business.

With this attitude one can become a good businessman, but not a yogi.

Regards, anand[/quote]

lol

You sure do have a lot of fixed ideas.