Yoga body vs weight lifting body

Hi Surya Deva,

very interesting thread, because I kinda have a simulair problem with my body. It’s not overweight or too skinny. Don’t know my lenght in feet and inches, but it’s 166 cm and about 65 kilograms at a fatpercentage of 6 or 7%.

Yes I did lift some weight, but it’s the opposite of yoga. During the classes (Power Yoga), most of the ladies are very slim. Have toned muscles and some are pretty flexible. The men are usually longer than me and carry less muscle. Ofcourse there is allways new folks coming to the class, but they give up after 1 or 2 lessons.

So now, I asked my teacher how I can reduce some of the muscle, because it is getting in the way at some point. Also, it’s harder to carry. Plus the fact, that I’m focussing on becomming a yoga instructor.

There’s some things about muscles I read in this thread, about internal and external. And yoga (asanas) does focus on the internal, weightlifting more on the external.

Muscle tissue is build up in mainly 2 different types of muscle. There is fast-twitch and slow-twitch.

Fast-twist are easily built up. Body builders put focus on this type, because it grows faster than slow-twitch. A body boulder lifts a weight 8 to 10 times in sets of 4 or 5. (All I did was 6 reps with 3 or 4 sets, focus on muscle strenght not mass). It’s meant for explosive movement (i.e. boxing). Wide shoulders, big triceps… you know.

Slow-twitch have more endurance. I.e. marathon runners. They all have lean muscles and there all build up from slow-twitch.

But don’t let my reply discourage you. When burning fat, the best exercise is strenght training. It builds up metabolism, which helps you break down body fat. :wink:

I was once told a very usefull lesson. If you want to become a body builder, you should practice like one, If you want the body of a dancer… go dance!! If you like a swimmers body, you should dive into the pool. It’s the form of movement, your body will adapt to. :wink:

[quote=Tum;32311]very interesting thread, because I kinda have a simulair problem with my body. It’s not overweight or too skinny. Don’t know my lenght in feet and inches, but it’s 166 cm and about 65 kilograms at a fatpercentage of 6 or 7%.

Yes I did lift some weight, but it’s the opposite of yoga. During the classes (Power Yoga), most of the ladies are very slim. Have toned muscles and some are pretty flexible. The men are usually longer than me and carry less muscle. Ofcourse there is allways new folks coming to the class, but they give up after 1 or 2 lessons.

So now, I asked my teacher how I can reduce some of the muscle, because it is getting in the way at some point. Also, it’s harder to carry. Plus the fact, that I’m focussing on becomming a yoga instructor.
[/quote]

Since you’re trying to lose muscle, I take it you wont take offence if I say that at 65kg and 166cm tall, you’re not carrying more muscle than the average person (this does not mean you’re not strong, it means you didn’t bulk significantly which requires both intense training and intense eating). Also, muscle mass in itself will not prevent you from being flexibile. Tight muscles will. I certainly wouldn’t advise anyone at 7% bodyfat to attempt to lose weight (weight being fat or muscle tissue) and the only way you’ll lose muscle without dieting is by not using it for a very long time, and like I said, you’re not carrying a lot. Keep in mind that I’m just some dude on the internet with no credentials, but I would at the least advise the consulting of a reliable medical opinion or three before attempting to lose weight.

Yes, you’re right that they focus on fast-twitch muscles, and yes, for that reason. So do powerlifters (weight lifters are not by default bodybuilders). Fast twitch is used for maximal strength and causes lots of hypertrophy (required for gaining muscle mass), so that’s what many train for.
You did outline a particular rep scheme though and by performing more repetitions, or by holding isometric contractions you can develop endurance and strength endurance, developing slow twitch muscle fibres.

Simply put, weight is no different when it’s on a barbel compared to the weight of your own body. It is weight, it is resistance that your muscles must contract to hold or move.

Also, do not be fooled that the weight of the body is limited to the weight you see on the scales. Who was that greek bloke who said he could tip the world if he had a lever long enough? I can’t remember, but he was right. Leverage will increase the force and in turn, the force required to fight against it.

Hi Aaron. No I don’t feel offenced by your reply.

Completely agree on the fact that most average people carry the same amount of muscle. But the difference is, that the average person in the Netherlands is about 180 cm or taller. The muscles are spread over a larger body.

When I was younger, my body was more flexible. Weightlifting (indeed no body building) caused a bit more muscle mass and is heavier. No, I’m not complaining when it comes to basic poses. But in order to perform advanced asanas, I understand that it’s much harder to achieve.

A friend of mine who had done yoga in the past, has a typical yoga body. Less muscle and his muscles are long. He can’t bench press 60 pounds, because he didn’t develop fast-twitch muscle.

Thank you for your concern and advice :wink:

Still Tum 65kg is not much, unless you are a women? In comparison I’m about 82kg at 176cm with about 8-9% body fat.

Weightlifting makes me feel wasted while any yoga (even Bichram and Power one) energizes me for the day.

I have guys taking only my yoga classes and they do not do any weight lifting. They look very fit thought, like they do.

Holding the pose more than 30 seconds will give you the same effect as gym machine.

Try just a chair pose (two sets for 2 minutes) - you will never feel your quads birning like that on the weight lifting machine!

[QUOTE=Aaron;32212]
Yoga is not very useful for bodybuilding …)[/QUOTE]

Have you done 1.5 power yoga class?? That will build the body in 1 month!

“Holding the pose more than 30 seconds will give you the same effect as gym machine.” City Monk, holding a pose longer is not gaining primarily strength. Its mainly gaining endurance. The idea behind using weights is that every so often you increase the weight at which point your muscles will have to adapt and grow.

Look at runners for example. Do you think that long distance runners and sprint runners train the same way? A sprint runner is not going to run faster by running a 40km marathon and a long distance runner is not going to run a longer time by squatting 3x his body weight.

“chair pose” I can make your quads burn more and make you vomit on a weight lifting machine. But there’s no point in that is there LOL!!! I’m not saying doing the chair is useless. It is a great challenge. Its just different.

But do daily three-hour workouts really help to hold back the years? Experts warn they won’t, and claim that extreme exercise can put your health at risk.

...here are some guys that have gone younger by training :slight_smile: there have been some articles on that in the newspaper here lately. Unfortunately google translate doesn't work on these scripted pages but as a serious reader one could always copy paste the text into translator. Also, just close the print dialog that pops up.

Eric 61 years old. Has never before lift weights or something but is now in really good shape.

Larry 61 - This guy used to train a little but started for real when he retired.

both of them are competing so they are quite serious. There is also a picture gallery, click on the arrows above:

“Experts” are frequently not, or going against their better judgement for a paycheck.

I combine around 3 weekly workouts to cover the body muscles and, usually, in one form or another, some daily yogasana.

[quote=Surya Deva;32009]At this stage I think my body is definitely very wanting and I want to be more physically healthy and [B]obviously more asthestically pleasing[/B].

[/quote]

I have a question after reading all this… Could it be good also if I would only run or do some hours of cycling (spinning) for burning calories in combination of yoga for muscle DEFINITION, not body building… ? so, what type of yoga can be the best for this combination and how many hours per week is it suggested?
Thanx…
XIIW

I have a question after reading all this… Could it be good also if I would only run or do some hours of cycling (spinning) for burning calories in combination of yoga for muscle DEFINITION, not body building… ? so, what type of yoga can be the best for this combination and how many hours per week is it suggested?
Thanx…
XIIW

Hey twelve lizards, I find that the 12 major hatha yoga asanas done 5 times a week in combination with jogging,swimming or running 4 times a week go well in muscle definition and overall health.
Of course your diet has to be on point.
I hope this was useful.

Don’t worry about what others say…first of all.

Second, Im in the same boat I have a very fast metabolism and feel I couldn’t get fat if I tried!

When I went veggie I sacrificed about 10lbs of muscle…I was trying to bulk during the time and was looking pretty nice…now I’m a steady vegitarian and only eat when I’m hungry and not just to put on weight. Yes it is true I have lost some weight going veggie BUT I am still almost equally strong, faster, healthier and perform better in EVERY way. Through my continous transformation I learned to overcome the need for being ‘buff’ looking there are alot of buff guys that look bad A but are not very healthy at all.

After the combination of being a veggitarian, doing cardio(not overdoing it though), lifting weights and doing yoga I feel flexible, strong, fast, and I can control my heart rate 10 times better plus my lung capacity is expanding and life is just a whole lot more enjoyable.

So my advice is, you don’t have to go one way. If you still wan’t more muscle mass than the average yoga GO FOR IT. But I highly highly reccomend doing yoga no matter what your goal is…it has been the most rewarding experience, physically, I’ve even encountered my life.

As for what an average yogi looks like all I have to say is ‘google is your friend’. There are pics all over the place. You know the guy the invented bikram yoga was actually an Olympic powerlifter, IMO he had the ideal body…a very well rounded man indeed.

Hi you need to do both, 20 minutes weights, 5 minute after stretch, followed by 60 minute yoga and 20 minute ab’s

every day if you can, or a least 5 days per week

Adrian

I am the only guy in my Pilates class. Envy away, my friends.

The problem is that all the practicants are awkward looking. They are old, bent, fat, you name it. I myself, am not Brad Pitt, either.

The only body worth looking at is that of the instructor. She’s a hot brunette, God forgive me.

Yet, I hardly find the time and the inner attitude necessary to indulge in such pleasantries, I am busy trying to do all the awkward and unnatural feeling movements and postures. I am not really a Pilates body type. I found that it works well for people having short limbs and stronger torsos, but I am just the opposite. It is darn hard to extend and lift a 2 miles long leg in a way you would never thought to be possible. But I do my best.

So, class is a pain. Why am I doing it than, you might ask … well, it works. I feel my posture increasing and hearing that final order to rest is like hallelujah to my ears.
I bet that others come for the same benefits. Not for the looks as we all look awkward. Sometimes a bomber comes, but they dont stay long. But you can always count on the withered, the fat, the bad and the ugly. I actually started to love them, as they are. Big noses, bad haircuts, huge thick glasses, unappealing butts. This is reality my friends. This is people.

To hell with the mirrors. Even the best looking people have a few bad views; if you look at them at a certain angle they do not look that gorgeus. And if you surprise yourself sometimes, or learn to look at your picture as if it belonged to someone else, only than you will see how bad you really look. It will hurt, in the beginning. But later you’ll grow to love that ugly mug what could belong to anyone. And this is only the physical part. When you go over to the soul, using equanimity, there real monstruosities will raise their heads. No wonder real self seeking is so unpopular. But what strikes you after you spend a little time in your own hell, that after starting to know your miserable self, you will have the eye to see them faults in others. And than you will know the zombies. The beautiful facades and the dark shadows dancing behind them. And you will see the light raying out from the cracks of the old and battered ones. And of course, there will be a few cases when the facade matches the rooms, too.

Everything depends on what you're aiming for - muscle size and strength, or flexibility and balance. Given your height, weight, and being a vegetarian, you might find yoga helps with flexibility without bulking up too much. But if you need to gain muscle, weight lifting could be the way to go. I can't show pictures here, but you might find helpful visuals and advice by looking through CurrentBody reviews . They cover a range of health and fitness products that could give you a better idea of what fits your goals. Mixing both yoga and weights could also be a great approach to get toned and stay flexible.