Yoga class etiquette

Restriction, boundaries, regulations, expectations may create an environment of limitations.

[QUOTE=KrisR;52767]I wish the man next to me in class last week had had this suggestion…I nearly had to leave because the stench was so bad.

I continue to be surprised at bad manners in yoga classes - I suppose to be honest though - it’s not just in yoga classes. I wonder if bad manners are more common now than say, 20 years ago?[/QUOTE]

I think sweat is normal. Some people smell more then others. If you do not want people to sweat - practice with the dead:)

I advise my student not to wear perfume at class. I do not care about body smell. When we exercise we sweat, nothing you can do about it.

wearing a deodorant that blocks the pores and stops perspiration…:rolleyes:… it a very bad option . …

[QUOTE=CityMonk;52794]I think sweat is normal. Some people smell more then others. If you do not want people to sweat - practice with the dead:)

I advise my student not to wear perfume at class. I do not care about body smell. When we exercise we sweat, nothing you can do about it.

wearing a deodorant that blocks the pores and stops perspiration…:rolleyes:… it a very bad option . …[/QUOTE]

Thanks one perspective.

Tried to edit that to say “that’s one perspective”. Won’t let me do it. Oh well! :slight_smile:

I must say I think Nicole hit it right on the head. I am trying to summarize what you said Nicole, and I can’t! May be my hint of a cold but - ultimately an excellent teacher creates the attitude in the room, and maintains it, and if someone wants to see what I mean by that just go back and read Nicole’s post >.<

As for that note about bathing - sounds as if there was an issue in a class with dirty unbathed bodies!
I can withstand fresh body odor, however “bad” it might be. BO that comes from your dirty day old t shirt is another thing. It is also another thing entirely to be smelling odor from the backside of someone who had not washed recently, which is what my mind went to when KrisR mentioned the man’s “stench”. Different from BO from the armpits for sure!

I think there have always been considerate people and thoughtless inconsiderate people, and always will be. We just get to encounter them from time to time to teach us something. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;38349]CityMonk,

Why do you feel the need to have a handout with rules? Just curious.
.[/QUOTE]

well…few newbies asked for it…

and I remember myself being a newbie in yoga and martial art classes and I always was unsure about how to behave, how to enter and exit the room in a propper way:) , how to bow, how to sit quite for 20 minutes in meditation, keep my socks in or not…etc

[QUOTE=Nichole;38238]

If talking at the end of class has proven to be an issue for your students, I would try more techniques to help people transition more slowly and smoothly from savasana into the end of class, as this can help with talking or other loud, avoidable behaviors. [/QUOTE]

Thank you Nicole, for good suggestions!

Regarding this particular one… I have one student that will start to talk loud just the next second we stop singing OM… I talked to the student… but he forgot or just can not keep the mouth closed:) of course others found this very destructive… listening to someones life’s problems right after yoga nidra practice… and chanting OM…

Try having noble silence inside the studio.

[QUOTE=Loretha;52956]Try having noble silence inside the studio.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t that be just lovely? A gal can dream!

Update…the teacher has taken to handing out a "yoga etiquette’ sheet which addresses several items, including timeliness.

For my part…I’ve been working incredibly hard to practice compassion & patience in class - especially to the tardy ones. So far, so good… :smiley:

I’m not sure why but compassion, patience and simplicity seem to be my key words, my focus, my mantra lately. The words just keep popping up everywhere for me.

[QUOTE=Loretha;52956]Try having noble silence inside the studio.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

It would be hard to convince me otherwise; becoming disturbed during a practice is a flaw of the individual being disturbed not the outside entity.

It is important to keep in mind that specific etiquette laws govern specific classes of yoga and other physical activities. To fully enjoy a class or activity, it is important to know and follow the rules of the community in which you are participating. To participate and enjoy the benefits of a yoga class or activity in a courteous and respectful manner.