Yoga for Hypothyroidism

I would think all one would have to do is:

1. Eliminate consumption of all endocrine disruptors.

2. Take up a nutrient dense whole food organic diet. (both raw and cooked)

3. Exercise a little each day. Targeted Yogasanas.

Bingo.

Am i wrong?

The Scales thinks not.

[quote=The Scales;51064]I would think all one would have to do is:

1. Eliminate consumption of all endocrine disruptors.

2. Take up a nutrient dense whole food organic diet. (both raw and cooked)

3. Exercise a little each day. Targeted Yogasanas.

Bingo.

Am i wrong?

The Scales thinks not.[/quote]

What do you recognize as endocrine disruptor’s, and your method to Eliminate all of them?

A balanced diet which includes raw food can be ok but rawfoodism is bad for hypothyroidism.

Do you have experience of helping those with hypothyroidism using these suggestions? Not that they are wrong, or automatically accurate, you just speak with such authority I’d like to know its source.

Priitaa dd

[QUOTE=Priitaa;51066]What is your method to Eliminate consumption of all endocrine disruptors?

A balanced diet which includes raw food can be ok but rawfoodism is bad for hypothyroidism.

Do you have experience of helping those with hypothyroidism with these suggestions? Not that they are wrong, or automatically accurate, you just speak with such authority I’d like to know its source.

Priitaa dd[/QUOTE]

The ‘method’ is avoidance. Inorder to avoid you must know all sources.

Thanks to the modern relentless drive for profits far and away above anthing to be called ethics and prudence the endocrine disruptors are pervasive not only here in the United Corporations of America but abroad.

94% of the American Population is ‘said’ to have disruptive amounts of BPA circulating through their blood stream at any time. BPA is just one example of many such compounds that, even in MINUTE quantities, have harmful effects.

It is the preponderance of these purportedly innocuous chemicals in the food and environment that contributes GREATLY to:

All manner of endocrine system malfunction which, the endocrine system being, as I understand it, the master control system for pretty much all body processes, leads to all kinds of distrubances, suffering and nastiness.

Like:

Girls hitting puberty much earlier than normal. (hormonal problem)

Women giving birth premature (this can be hormonally related)

Obesity. Diabetes. Cancers.

You name it.

All these rates are climbing. The most distressing to me is the premature births. Very sad.

God Bless America Huh?

The only way these Health problems can be avoided is to get rid of the chems or keep them away from the people.

As long as people continue to purchase foods grown unnaturally, as long as people continue to eat unnaturally, as long as people continue to stay uninformed and take no action, as long as the onus is on the people and not the chemical manufactures to prove these chems are harmful, as long Governmental agencies hurry through thier lobbyist greased pipeline every new fangled bit of corporate trash - America and the world will continue to be ill.
It won’t be getting better.

Well yes, I know the method is avoidance, but how to recognize each and every one? And for some people, there are certain things they can’t avoid, if we are to live life practical.

All of these other points you have made are certainly true. But I do not think this is a time for political topics but rather how to resolve an individuals pain and life issues which have directly resulted from hypothyroidism.

[QUOTE=Priitaa;51072]Well yes, I know the method is avoidance, but how to recognize each and every one? And for some people, there are certain things they can’t avoid, if we are to live life practical.

All of these other points you have made are certainly true. But I do not think this is a time for political topics but rather how to resolve an individuals pain and life issues which have directly resulted from hypothyroidism.[/QUOTE]

How to recognize each and every one? Education.
You will not find endocrine disruptors in whole organic foods.
You will not find endocrine disruptors leaching from glass.
and on and on. . . .

How to avoid each and every one? do the damn best they can.
I don’t want to hear about likes and dislikes. If someone can’t muster up the will to do whats best for their health then they will simply suffer.
Practicality? Not to sound nostalgic but back in the olden days people rarely got sick. Rarely. Now? It seems everyone has something they are dealing with. Especially if they are older…

How to get better? Avoid the Endocrine Disruptors, follow the diet, and get exercise.
Once they start avoiding the disruptors and follow the diet they will feel better.

As long as they keep exposing themselves to endocrine disruptors, and eat poorly, and not exercise they will not get well.

I gotta admit, you sure have “stick with it” power.ol

Ok, some usable info:

Those with hypothyroidism need to avoid eating broccoli and cauliflower because they are goitrogenic foods. The same thing the plant uses to protect itself is the same thing that makes it react negatively with the thyroid. Therefore organic or not, all goitrogenic foods must be avoided. [Tho I am pro organic big time.]

Antibody levels should be tested and then try to keep them down. Few docs will tell anyone this, few docs even want to bother testing antibody levels. They assume ya got them so why bother, its useless, etc. But the fact is, they can be lowered, it does matter, and the patient will feel better if this topic is looked at so it next can be dealt with.

We need to try to recreate an environment around us that is as natural and organic as possible. If one has to go to a job in a plastic office, they can’t quit work so should put some oxygen producing plants on their desk, in the bathroom there, etc. Be the first to bring in a Christmas wreath regardless of religious belief, on birthdays give everyone lovely plants they might leave on their desk [tho some will take them home- don’t be attached,], if the office has parties bring in little trees or plants. Basically use any excuse to get all these plants in your surroundings. There are some which require almost no attention. [My husband has one he waters about once every month, or two, make that three if I don’t see it before that. lol] They clean the air a bit. Other things can be done like use of essential oils to burn in a diffuser to help detox the air, etc. Anyone who can move to the country or relocate their job, good for them. To those who can’t, these are some options to improve life quality.

~ Priitaa dd

I dont’ buy the Broccolli bit.

Have you experienced hormonal disruption problems sever enough to have symptoms or a condition arise?

The broccoli bit is not an opinion, its a scientific fact.Google it. And millet too, tho many think of it as a health food, its goitrogenic so should not be eaten by those with hypothyroidism. Now some do say with broccoli etc if it is cooked that will significantly decreases the amount of goitrogenic properties it contains, but others still think its too risky. Myself? I’ll eat a little broccoli if its been cooked, never raw. Will eat cooked even a few times a week, but I won’t eat it every day, and I won’t eat a lot of it. Millet on the other hand is one of those oddball things where when cooked its goitrogenic.

Not sure of your question to me as I said in earlier posts that I have Hashimoto’s [autoimmune] Hypothyroidism, so maybe that answers your question.

[QUOTE=Priitaa;51103]The broccoli bit is not an opinion, its a scientific fact.Google it. And millet too, tho many think of it as a health food, its goitrogenic so should not be eaten by those with hypothyroidism. Now some do say with broccoli etc if it is cooked that will significantly decreases the amount of goitrogenic properties it contains, but others still think its too risky. Myself? I’ll eat a little broccoli if its been cooked, never raw. Will eat cooked even a few times a week, but I won’t eat it every day, and I won’t eat a lot of it. Millet on the other hand is one of those oddball things where when cooked its goitrogenic.

Not sure of your question to me as I said in earlier posts that I have Hashimoto’s [autoimmune] Hypothyroidism, so maybe that answers your question.[/QUOTE]

why do you think you have such a condition?

[QUOTE=The Scales;51134]why do you think you have such a condition?[/QUOTE]

and the crowd goes silent…

Crickets chirping…

@ Scales: Maybe they don’t spend their lives on their computers. :slight_smile:

Jo, I highly recommend (as others have inferred and also stated) that you do NOT reduce your medication without approval from your doctor.
My mother is on synthroid, as was my sister, due to hypothyroidism. When the thyroid is so depressed that it cannot control the hormone production as it is meant to, it can cause damage to all of your organs, so reducing your medication without the ok of your doctor after having your levels checked can be damaging to every organ in your body.

Do try as many techniques and dietary changes as you feel may help with your hypothyroidism, and get checked regularly. Your doctor will know when it is safe to reduce your medication.

Please do be careful, and don’t change your medication on your own. Medication to help with hypothyroidism is not something that treats symptoms like many other medicines. It actually does help replace what the thyroid is not producing.

[QUOTE=Joanna63;51221]@ Scales: Maybe they don’t spend their lives on their computers. :slight_smile:

[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

If you knew me you wouldn’t take that kind of shot at me.

Wow someone is sensitive.

Do you always make threatening comments to people who are merely having a conversation?

Hi! My doctor diagnosed me with low thyroid and wants me to take the meds. I looked up the symptoms and I have none of them. She said, this is preventative - hypothyroidism may lead to osteoporosis and heart disease. I took them for 3 months, didn’t feel any different, so stopped taking them, didn’t feel any different. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m glad to change my diet (although it seems strange to drop crucifors - brocolli etc. - being so preventative against cancer), add advised yoga asanas and exercise, but I’m not crazy about taking meds every day for the rest of my life

Yes, I have a thought or two. If your doctor prescribed the meds, there was a reason. Your thyroid numbers (blood test) may be low, and your doctor prescribed the meds as a preventative in that it will prevent damage to the rest of the organs in your body by taking the medication. You do not have to be feeling symptoms to have something going on that could be causing slow damage. I would highly recommend that you resume your medication and discuss it with your doctor if you want to discontinue the meds. They aren’t treating symptoms, they are replacing what your body is not producing enough of.

I have Hashimoto’s disease, have adjusted my diet, lifestyle etc. Have started doing shoulder stands, fishpose, ujaii breath. This improves my constipation but on the other habd I feel more depressed, start to have more difficulties sleeping and feel more anxious. Should I abandon the practice all together or simply build it up very gradually?

If you have Hashimoto’s disease, which I do, no amount of yoga is going to heal your thyroid.
You are looking at the problem the wrong way. With Hashimoto’s you do not have a thyroid issue, what you have is an immune system problem, where your immune system mistakes your thyroid as a foreign invader an attacks it. This will continue on until your thyroid is destroyed.
What you need to do is to prevent the immune system from attacking your thyroid. Some people have even put their Hashimoto’s in remission!

I suggest you research Hashimoto’s. There are a number of excellent books to read, and tons of information about dietary changes you will need to make to manage the disease. This is information doctors don’t know or care to know about. They are happy to prescribe the medications, and say your fine when your TSH levels are in the normal range.

Also check out the Hashimoto’s 411 page on Facebook, it’s a god send to people with this condition!