Yoga can be an effective complementary therapy for managing diabetes by reducing stress, improving insulin sensitivity, and promoting overall health and wellbeing. Here are five yoga poses that can help keep diabetes under control:
- Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breathing): This breathing technique can help calm the mind, reduce stress, and balance the nervous system. Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position, close your right nostril with your thumb and inhale through your left nostril. Then close your left nostril with your ring finger and exhale through your right nostril. Continue this pattern, alternating nostrils with each inhale and exhale.
- Viparita Karani (Legs Up the Wall): This restorative pose can help reduce stress, improve circulation, and lower blood pressure. Lie on your back with your hips close to a wall, and extend your legs up the wall. Relax your arms by your sides and breathe deeply.
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose): This pose can help stimulate the pancreas and improve insulin sensitivity. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Press your feet and arms into the floor, lift your hips up, and interlace your fingers underneath your pelvis. Hold for several breaths, then release.
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose): This pose can help improve digestion, reduce stress, and improve overall health. Stand with your feet wide apart, turn your right foot out, and extend your arms to the sides. Hinge at the hips and reach your right hand towards your right foot, keeping your left arm extended towards the ceiling. Hold for several breaths, then repeat on the other side.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): This pose can help stimulate the pancreas, improve digestion, and reduce stress. Lie on your belly, bend your knees, and reach back to grab your ankles. Lift your chest and thighs off the floor, and hold for several breaths.
Remember to always check with your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine, especially if you have diabetes or any other medical condition. A qualified yoga teacher can also help guide you through a safe and effective practice.