Alternate Sources of Protein

When I think of protein, I tend to think of meat. However, I’ve never had much of a taste for meat, so I was wondering if it would do my body harm to obtain the majority of my protein from non-meat sources like dairy, beans, and nuts. Are these sources of protein just as nutritious as meat?

Spirulina, bee pollen, and assorted veggies are a better source of protein than deceased, decomposing body tissues. Animal protein contains parasites and pathogens in raw form, but is mutagenic after heating/cooking. Homosapiens thrive when intestinal PH is alkoline, therefore the acid forming flesh of sentient beings is an unsuitable source of protein for humans.

Millions of years from now, when the dominant species digs up our bones they will examine our canine teeth and come to the quick conclusion that at this stage in our evolution we were classic and natural omnivores. Likely an opportunistic eater, we ate what was available, and likely had meat in our diet, then turned away from hunting, to husbandry and carrion eating, maybe the canines will atrophy in the far future and arguments will flourish as to their use like the stubby T-Rex arms.

“There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological, ethical, and health concerns.”

[Dr. McArdle is a vegetarian and currently Scientific Advisor to The American Anti-Vivisection Society. He is an anatomist and a primatologist.]

Read, explore, and journal how your body responds to diet changes. Consult professionals, and make the best educated choice you can for you.

Namaste

maximum protein can generate through green gram in india we call it mung. it is a item in which it have a power to convert your body at stable level

[QUOTE=Yogamark;79231]… will examine our canine teeth and come to the quick conclusion that at this stage in our evolution we were classic and natural omnivore.[/QUOTE]

Monkeys have much bigger fangs and they are vegetarian. Human teeth are unsuitable for ripping raw flesh from bone. Millions of years from now, when the dominant species digs up our bones, they will not know about today’s high incidences of colon cancer caused by erroneous dietary practices. The canine teeth are for defence.

here are some carnivore jaws:

^Carnivores have pointy teeth

teeth of omnivore (bear):

^not similar to human

Which ‘classic omnivore’ can humans be compared to?

You don’t need any animal protein at all. Even the conservative watchdogs at the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states this position clearly noting that veganism is healthy for all stages of the life cycle as well as athletes.

If you’re concerned about the quality of plant versus animal protein, that theory has been completely debunked. There is nothing inferior about plant protein. By eating a variety of plant foods, you’ll get all the amino acids you need to build every functioning body protein.

If you’re worried about getting enough protein from only plant sources, then stop. Eating only plant-based foods, it would be difficult NOT to meet the minimum requirement of protein. For a 2000 cal diet, if you only ate 7 potatoes with the skins in a day, you would get 50 grams of protein within 2000 cal. The acceptable healthy limits of protein intake according to the Institute of Medicine are 10 to 35% of calories. 10% of 2000 is 200 and at 4 calories per gram, you get 200 calories from those 50 grams of protein in potatoes. Prefer to eat only brown rice? Eating 9 cups in a day provides the 10% of protein required to be healthy. Not that I’m advocating eating only rice or potatoes. They’re just examples to illustrate the point.

Must be very big 7 potatoes then as 1.6 grams per 100gms :slight_smile: also lots of spirulina from china is not good i used to buy chlorella but if left in glass for some time it had a chemical mettalic taste. I havebought goji same problem smells chemicals and then i saw a tv program where the factories in china destroy surrounding area so the peoples groundwater is contaminated. So i dont support them by buying their stuff anymore. There are better options.

[QUOTE=omnamashivaya;79238]

Monkeys have much bigger fangs and they are vegetarian. Human teeth are unsuitable for ripping raw flesh from bone. Millions of years from now, when the dominant species digs up our bones, they will not know about today’s high incidences of colon cancer caused by erroneous dietary practices. The canine teeth are for defence.

here are some carnivore jaws:

^Carnivores have pointy teeth

teeth of omnivore (bear):

^not similar to human

Which ‘classic omnivore’ can humans be compared to?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=theYogadr.;79243]You don’t need any animal protein at all. Even the conservative watchdogs at the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states this position clearly noting that veganism is healthy for all stages of the life cycle as well as athletes.

If you’re concerned about the quality of plant versus animal protein, that theory has been completely debunked. There is nothing inferior about plant protein. By eating a variety of plant foods, you’ll get all the amino acids you need to build every functioning body protein.

If you’re worried about getting enough protein from only plant sources, then stop. Eating only plant-based foods, it would be difficult NOT to meet the minimum requirement of protein. For a 2000 cal diet, if you only ate 7 potatoes with the skins in a day, you would get 50 grams of protein within 2000 cal. The acceptable healthy limits of protein intake according to the Institute of Medicine are 10 to 35% of calories. 10% of 2000 is 200 and at 4 calories per gram, you get 200 calories from those 50 grams of protein in potatoes. Prefer to eat only brown rice? Eating 9 cups in a day provides the 10% of protein required to be healthy. Not that I’m advocating eating only rice or potatoes. They’re just examples to illustrate the point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. While I can’t see myself eating 7 potatoes or 9 cups of rice in a single day, I get your point. :slight_smile: It’s possible to get enough protein without eating meat or tons of calories in general.

Funny then that the elephant, the world’s largest and arguably strongest animal found on land, never eats meat. Horses and water buffalos don’t eat meat either, and we’ve relied on their strength to work our field for generations. How do these animals build strength and maintain their enzyme levels on plants if there isn’t much protein?

Vegans, those who not only don’t eat meat but also further restrict protein by rejecting the milk and eggs typically enjoyed in the Yoga diet, generally obtain 10 to 12 percent of their calories from protein (without protein powders). The average American omnivore averages 15 percent. Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eating the traditional Yoga diet fall between these two norms.

Sorry, Siro. I know you mean well, but you are wrong about a few things. Humans are not geared towards getting their protein from meat. We’ve adapted to being omnivores to survive through hard times, but that’s not our primary source of nourishment. Never has been.

Here’s what the real experts say:
Nathaniel Dominy, PhD was awarded a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering and in 2009 he was named one of ten “Brilliant 10” scientists under the age of 40 by Popular Science magazine. He is the author of more than 60 published articles and is currently an Associate Professor of Anthropology at Dartmouth College.

Cellulose is fiber, and all the data shows humans now get way too little of it compared to how we were designed to eat. We would eat much more than 100 grams a day of fiber, now most people have a hard time getting 25.

I am speaking of a Hatha Yoga diet. It’s clearly stated in yogic texts from hundreds of years ago - the [I]Hatha Yoga Pradipika[/I], for example.

as we all know the food that we consume directly or indirectly affects our mind with the modes of nature sattvic, rajasic, and tamasic comes into the act of play like cutting a tomato or slitting the throat of cow, pig, chicken et c.

But most people dont cut the throat or even see it as they buy it in the store. So i guess they dont feel bad about it. But many would if they were forced to kill it for meat. But just because they are not used to it.
The best being a vegetarian is that you never feel tired or heavy after a meal, needing to open your belt and slack in the sofa.

spinach , kale and cress are the best protein source, eat this everyday and fruits , this is the best aliment

Again: All the available evidence indicates that the natural human diet is omnivorous and would include meat. [B]We are not, however, required to consume animal protein. We have a choice[/B]. John McArdle, Ph.D.

Canine teeth argument:
“The short canines in humans are a functional consequence of the enlarged cranium and associated reduction of the size of the jaws.”

Elephant argument:
Wow an elephant needs a whopping 660 pounds of food and 50 gallons of water in a single day.
Consider our elephant and nearly all plant eaters also

“have fermenting vats (enlarged chambers where foods sits and microbes attack it). Horses, rhinos, and colobine monkeys have posterior, hindgut sacs. [B]Humans have no such specializations.”[/B]

Intestinal argument:
“absorption is a surface area, not linear problem. Dogs (which are carnivores) have intestinal specializations more characteristic of omnivores than carnivores such as cats. The relative number of crypts and cell types is a better indication of diet than simple length.[B] We are intermediate between the two groups.”[/B]

7 pounds of potato argument
Our 7 potatoes diet will only net only 50 grams of protein, so if you are just looking for nutrition you might get by, if you are looking to build muscle and are working hard, that will be okay if you weighed around 50 pounds.

Conservative muscle building programs aim at between .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you are the go hard or go home type you might want to push it.

BTW vegetarian for 20 years here, Go for it!

We are blessed to have yogadr’s educated responses to these questions .
Thank you
Cheers
Peace