Ana Brett and Ravi Singh

Greetings Everyone!

I am new to the boards, but not too new to yoga and I wondering if anyone had any experience with Ana Brett and Ravi Singh’s videos? The reviews on amazon all speak very positive, but frankly, not to be harsh, the cover of them is a little cheesy and I was wondering how serious of a practice they could be. I live in an area that the quality of yoga classes is not that great so I depend on videos pretty heavily and would hate to invest in getting one shipped to me only to find out it is not that good.

Thank you in advance, its is nice to find this board.

Kat

I personally haven’t tried them, but I would recommend seeing if you can find it at the public library. It’s a good free way to try before you buy. Since taste in yoga videos seems to be pretty diverse and dependent on personal taste, this is my preferred approach.

Jacob

Would it be possible for you to check the video out at the Library first? My library had the Kundalini Yoga video with Brett and Ana - so I put it on hold, and was able to “try before I buy.” i thought it was EXCELLENT - although I’m not sure the Style of Kundalini yoga is what I’m after at this point in my practice. Hence the reason I did not purchase the video.

One of my FAVE yoga videos is the MTV yoga video with Kristin McGee! I KNOW! I can’t believe it, but it’s true. It’s pretty “serious” and not very light-hearted {and I prefer my yoga to be FUN!} but I like the routine very much and I like the pace. The cast is one of the girls who was on the Real World - and actually, some of her hand motions and speaking style is a bit distracting, but over-all, this is the video I reach for again and again.

i’d REALLY like to try the yoga journal volume 3 for balancing poses!

You can also type in “Ana Brett” on youtube.com and see some clips!

I just broke down and got “Kundalini Yoga for Beginners & Beyond” which is supposed to be the top rated yoga DVD on Amazon… I’m trying it today and will post more about it after! :slight_smile:

Hi Kat,

i have been doing Ana Brett & Singh’s DVD’s for 6 months. I really like them. I have Beginners & Beyond, Fat Free Yoga, and Yoga Beauty Body, Ultimate Stretch, and Dance the Chakras. I plan to get more of the series.
I have done yoga for a few years, mostly hatha and Iyengar and this type of yoga was a revelation to me because, though it contains many of the same hatha poses, the combine the poses with movement and with breath techniques and I can really feel my energy moving fhrough my body. It kind of feels like a workout from the inside out.
They have a high fun factor and great music which I like as well.
The best thing to do is get it from the library if you are uncertain. I got my first one on Amazon based on the reviews there and found the reviews to be pretty accurate.
Jenna

I would love to hear how you liked Beginners & Beyond. It is one of my favorites with all the stretchy, twisty, spinal work.

Cannot speak to the series you mention as I have no personal experience with it. However I recommend either Patricia Walden or Judith Lasater when new folks ask for sound yoga teaching through the medium of DVD.

Does that mean that its ‘safe’ or ‘okay’ to learn Kundalini yoga via DVD or home instruction?

I’ve heard that one should not practice without a qualified teacher because there is some kind of ‘danger’ involved… But no one has ever been able to elaborate on what exactly the danger might be…

No. Drawing such a conclusion from my text would be a stretch:-)
I didn’t imply anything about the safety of a Kundalini practice. In fact I’m advocating two alignment-based teachers steeped in the Iyengar tradition.

But your question does open a can of worms.

I truly believe that risk is heightened across the board (every style of yoga) when it is ONLY learned from a DVD at home. There are however varying degrees of that risk. So it is more about minimizing than eliminating.

A very brief (cliff notes) answer to your Kundalini question is this:
Kundalini energy is VERY powerful. You cannot even imagine.
That energy is coiled or stored at the base of the spine or tailbone (coccyx).
When that energy is unleashed it rises.
When the student is “unprepared” for the magnitude and direction of that energy it can be very harmful to the nervous system, internal organs, and mental faculties - moreso for those with vatta constitutions.

Greetings MBelleK,

I?ve personally never seen this video, but unless you?re doing excessive pranayama, the chances of you awakening kundalini prematurely as the result of practicing anything in it, is about one in a million. About the same as any random person falling out of bed or walking down the street. Don?t worry. It?s just a word on the cover.

The power of kundalini is real however, and if the body is not properly prepared with, I would say, several years or more of strict asana/pranayama practice and purification, is extremely difficult to control. You might liken it to increasing the amperage in your home without upgrading the wiring and switches. Internal obstruction, imbalance and resistance to the flow can be too great and then things start to burn. Or, it might double you over in a whole-body cramp, twist your head right off your shoulders! It can happen in your sleep.Yes! Extremely powerful!

Again, no need to worry. Practice freely. If you awaken prematurely, it was going to happen anyway and not as the result of anything you do in front of the TV.

Seek a genuine teacher and leave the DVD’s at the bookstore.

Good luck,

Siva

Hi Kat,
Did you ever try Ana & Ravis DVDs? If so, I am curious how you like them. I am addicted to their style of yoga! I have been doing it for 4 years now and can’t believe the difference they have made to my mind and body and all over health!

I want to say I disagree with the poster who advised newbies to go with an alignment based yoga. I mean, how can you learn alignment based Iyengar without a teachers eyes? I leave my Iyengar practice to live classes and my DVD yoga practice is mainly Kundalini which teaches alignment (and many other things as well) from the inside out.

And the posters who warn about Kundalini Yoga energy??? I really am tired of hearing that alarmist bs. Yes, kundalini is energy that is dormant within us and really, if we wake up a bit of that energy I don’t believe its going to do anything more than add to the incredible sense of well being a Kundalini Yoga practice engenders. Every yoga aims to raise kundalini anyway. Kundalini Yoga just seems to do it with more efficiency and fun!

Anyway, if you do give it a try, or anyone else here does. I will be interested to hear how you do with it.
KP

I want to say I disagree with the poster who advised newbies to go with an alignment based yoga. I mean, how can you learn alignment based Iyengar without a teachers eyes? I leave my Iyengar practice to live classes and my DVD yoga practice is mainly Kundalini which teaches alignment (and many other things as well) from the inside out.

Actually that poster is a very experienced alignment based yoga teacher.

I disagree with your points though. I have learned much about alignment based yoga from using quality videos online, where every muscle movement and bone placement is described in detail so that one can really learn to listen to their body and feel if they are in correct alignment. If you are limited to videos only, this would be my suggestion as well.
I began my own practice with kundalini yoga videos, and tried several by different teachers. I also took a Kundalini yoga class series. I do NOT remember anything about alignment in the class or in the videos. Actually, I injured myself from performing kriyas improperly as there were no warnings about how NOT to do them, and again, alignment was not stressed in any way.

As for Ana Brett and Ravi Singh, the videos can be fun. But yes, they are a little cheesy. I had issues with Ana being very scantily clad and her nipples popping up so they were very prominent, and I felt this was really not necessary, why would you even have that, it was distracting (yes I’m a modest person, and not into seeing other women’s nipples poking out).

I am limited to only videos for my yoga practice, and highly recommend you try http://www.yogatoday.com
There is a free 1hr class each week that you can live stream as many times as you like. You can purchase videos for only $4, and you can also subscribe for $10 a month and live streaming of the classes is unlimited then. They have hundreds to choose from.
Neesha teaches Iyengar based yoga - alignment based. Adi teaches Ashtanga and Vinyasa flow, and Sarah teaches Kundalini yoga. I love all of them, and love that I can choose the yoga style I am most in the mood for. I most appreciate Neesha though, as I am trying so hard to make sure I’m always in proper alignment! The classes are well taught, and professional, and most of them are filmed outdoors and are not commercial feeling. Give them a shot, the free classes every week are one good way to see what they have to offer.

Ana is hot!! :smiley:

[quote yoga sweetgirl)

"And the posters who warn about Kundalini Yoga energy??? I really am tired of hearing that alarmist bs. Yes, kundalini is energy that is dormant within us and really, if we wake up a bit of that energy I don’t believe its going to do anything more than add to the incredible sense of well being a Kundalini Yoga practice engenders. Every yoga aims to raise kundalini anyway. Kundalini Yoga just seems to do it with more efficiency and fun! "

sweetgirl have you actually met anybody that has had the kundalini awakened ? Have you met anyone who has the kundalini awakened prematurely ? I dont think fun is necessarily the word that they would use . As Siva pointed out if it is going to awaken it no doubt will , with yoga or not but it is best to treat it with respect , and prepare the ground as best one can . How do you raise a bit of that energy , do you have a choice ? can you control it ?
jai ma

Ana is hot!!

I know YogiAdam! And they sure capitalize on that, don’t they? I don’t do yoga videos to look at the hot practitioners or the crotch shots during bridge pose! Cheapens the practice for me, and that’s not what it’s about.

ahhh it’s all good. We’re only human. It sells for a reason… nothing wrong with sexuality… after all, we wouldn’t even be here without it.