Ananda or Sivananda for 200hr Training?

Howdy ya’ll. I’m a Buddhist priest and meditation teacher in the Zen tradition and I started practicing hatha yoga a couple of years ago. I’d really like to do a residential teacher training this summer, but I’m having a hard time deciding between Ananda (Expanding Light in Nevada City, Ca) and the Sivananda 200hr Teacher Trainings.

Both are about $2400 which sound like it’s as cheap as it gets in the U.S. for a month long residential training. Both seem like somewhat classical styles which have maintained emphasis on meditation, philosophy, and prana work.

The plus side of the Ananda style is that it seems a bit more well rounded in terms of asanas, as the Sivananda style has a strong emphasis on their 12 basic asanas. I’d like to be a bit more versatile than that.

The downside of Ananda is that I just get a kind of bad feeling from the place. I don’t like their blue outfits, I don’t like the starry looks in their eyes. I don’t like their lack of accountability around Swami Kriyananda’s sexual and financial escapades and that I’d have to study texts by that charlatan when it seems like he made it up as he went.

On the other hand, Sivananda to my knowledge doesn’t have any past scandals, the culture of their communities seem very balanced, inclusive, and sane. I just don’t want to come out the other end only being able to instruct people in 12 asanas.

Anyone wanna weigh in? Or have any other suggestions on residential 200hr teacher trainings in traditional Hatha?

I wish I could edit out the part where I called Kriyananda a charlatan, sounds a bit arrogant…but I mean…google him, you’ll see. At any rate, perhaps since I have such a strong adverse feeling about Ananda yoga (despite Gyandev seeming like a sweetie-pie) I may go with the Sivananda training. I can understand there being a benefit in focusing on a predictable, repetitive sequence. I did 10 years of zen training and that’s just one asana.

IMHO, just one of many you may encounter, one ought not to judge an organization by it’s founder. That being said, comparing the former Swami Kriyananda with the late Sri Swami Sivananda Saraswati, is like comparing the effulgence of the moon with the mighty sun. In other words, there really is no comparison at all. But the only worthwhile question is what is right for you, for your own growth and/or cultivation.

While I have several wonderful friends involved with Ananda, the group has a downright cultish aspect to it… and no one there dares to question the fallen Swami’s poor behavior or hypocritical transgressions. On the other hand, Sri Sivanandaji was a spiritual giant who yielded an incredible outpouring of beautiful disciples, like Swamis: Chidananda, Krishnananda, Satyananda, Vishnudevananda and Satchidanada, etc…

Still, I am confident both intensive would be excellent opportunities for your in depth study of Yoga. Obviously, follow your heart and maintain some clear-headed modicum of critical thinking. :wink:

And while Ananda does offer a wider curriculum of Hatha postures (and I assume this possibly includes training in the science and practice of Kriya Yoga?), any association with Sivananda’s group would likely touch upon an in-depth study of his vast knowledge and understanding of Hatha Yoga, Vedanta, Tantra, Kundalini and even the Kriyas (himself, the author of 296 books on these subjects and many others).

I cannot say enough in praise of Sri Sivananda Maharaj, but whether this should weight into your decision is highly debatable. As always, the answer is already inside of you, my friend. Meditate upon this issue and when your mind is still and empty, the answer will no doubt be clear. Enjoy your intensive, which ever one you attend. I wish you much clarity, tranquility and well being. :cool:

Sincerely, Jon Palombi

1 Like