Anatomy Books

Greetings and Salutations Yogis, Yoginis and Great meditators!

I am new here and have a question for you all regarding yoga anatomy texts. I am on bit of a budget, but can be persuaded to spend the extra moolah if there is an obvious favorite(s). I am looking between a few books.

1. Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter

2. Yoga Anatomy 2nd edition by Leslie Kaminoff

3. The Yoga Mat Companion by Ray Long (set of 4)

4. Key Poses of Yoga & Key Muscles of Yoga (set of 2)

Ideally Id get them all, but was wondering which were favorites around here.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Yours in the Dharma and in Life,

Karma Senge

Hmm… page wont let me edit previous post. Let me be more specific with my question: Are there any glaring redundancies? I can’t tell from reviews/table contents online, but it seems the Kaminoff book and the Coulter book might cover lots of the same ground, and I wouldnt want to waste too much time and or money on doing that. I guess I am looking for the best bang for the buck, as it were, if I were to purchase a few. Say some combo like anatomy of hatha yoga and the ray long key poses and muscles, which seem to be quite a bit different.

Yoga Anatomy 2nd edition by Leslie Kaminoff
Is what we use for t.t. At studio I practice at
Cheers

Ray Long books are a good investment.

Coulter’s Anatomy of Hatha Yoga is what I’m familiar with. It retails for $30 but the information is priceless. The first time I saw the plum line of gravity drawn through a lateral view of a skeleton, intersecting major bony landmarks while others lie anterior or posterior, the balance that is achieved by this, I became fascinated with the design of the musculoskeletal system and how it functions with gravity during movement. This book goes way beyond the musculoskeletal system although any book detailing that alone is a good start in my opinion.

One of the most fascinating things I found in the book was the anatomy of the respiratory diaphragm. Not only is it the primary muscle involved in respiration, it spans from front to back, side to side, separating the thoracic and abdominal cavities. Only three holes are allowed to pass through the diaphragm: the esophagus, vena cava, and aorta. That alone should tell you the importance of having an active, well conditioned respiratory diaphragm. (sorry I always have to hijack a thread with a tangent and like you guys don’t already know the importance of proper breathing habits…)

The only thing I don’t like about this book, and I was warned of this before I purchased it, is that it’s so damn heavy! My hardcover copy of War and Peace weighs half as much. I didn’t know they made paper out of lead.

Thank you everyone. You have all bee very helpful.

I found the Coulter book on amazon for 4 bucks + 4 bucks shipping… I cant really say no to that. I also found the Kaminoff book (2nd ed) for 9 + 4 shipping. So… thats what I guess Ill be doing initially.

What attracted me to the Ray Long books was not only the illustrations, but the one I happened to open briefly had arrows pointing the direction of movement and just that one simple illustration helped quite a bit… I think it was something as simple as janu sirsasana… they are just so dang expensive.

Thank you all for what you have invested in time and effort typing to help me out. May you and your loved ones be blessed with wisdom and compassion.

The Anatomy Colouring Book by Kapit and Elson

Not yoga-specific but very easy to use

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter
is the best one I found. I have gone through others as well but this book gives really very good details about what happens behind the scene (inside body) when you do yoga.

[QUOTE=SohamYogaStudio;81018]Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter
is the best one I found. I have gone through others as well but this book gives really very good details about what happens behind the scene (inside body) when you do yoga.[/QUOTE]

Totally Agree. My vote is for Coulter.