Any Yoga pose is so challenging for me

Ok, so I’m 57 & have never really practiced yoga. Recently I had the opportunity to practice w/a friend of mine. Then her life got too busy for us, so I’ve been attempting things on my own. My greatest challenge seems to be my back muscles. They sometimes start cramping when I sit straight for very long. I mean sometimes I’m just not able to hold at all. How do I get past it & strengthen those muscles?

1 Like

I’d love to suggest Hot 26+2 Yoga to you as it is best for muscle injuries/pain. it will make you really sweat at the same time you body would love it and after each session you’ll feel the very diffence that somehow it loosen up the pain.

Hot 26+2? What is it?

1 Like

Hot Yoga 26+2 is the original Bikram Yoga which is a sequence of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises practiced in a heated room. It is specifically designed to work the entire body, using heat to stretch deeper, prevent injury and flush unwanted toxins. This yoga series stimulates the organs, glands and nerves and systematically moves fresh oxygenated blood to 100% of the body restoring health to all systems. Benefits of a regular practice include weight loss, improved muscle tone, stress relief, increased energy and an overall sense of physical and mental well-being.
It is suitable for all ages and levels of ability.

It sounds wonderful. When I take a hot detox bath I have found it loosens up the muscles. Unfortunately my tub is too small for much & I don’t know of any places in my town that offer Hot Yoga. Thank you for the suggestion, though!!

Be Blessed
LB

Ahimsa which is non-violence (in this case to your body) is an important principle to be mindful of. My advice would be to go slowly at a pace that is manageable for you - all the asanas have different levels so stay at the level you can handle and you will most likely find that improvement comes quicker than you expect. When it starts to feel painful, gently come out of the pose. Essentially, if the pain is in your lower back, your core probably needs strengthening so work on this aspect. I also struggled to even sit in dandasana when I first started practising yoga. It can be frustrating but baby steps and you will get there. Go easy on the back bends for now and make sure to counteract with a forward bend - Child’s pose and lying on your back, hugging your knees into your chest and either rocking gently from side to side or a little more intensely from back to front up to a seated position work well for easing the lower back. Also gentle twists like lying on your back, arms out in a T, knees bent up and dropped over to one side, looking over the opposite shoulder. I’m sure these all have names that I don’t know! Wishing you the best on your yoga journey.

Yes, I understand what you’re saying. My friend & teacher was always saying to only go to the edge & no further. When it is no longer the edge, then move to the edge again. Always breathing into & lengthen, exhale tension out. Thank you for the reminder.

The Bikram Series is a very challenging series, especially with the added heat. As a yoga teacher, I would suggest a Hatha style, yin, restorative, or chair yoga. I would be happy to help you find some online resources for these if you would like.

Over time, with the proper and appropriate yoga, your back should get better.

I’ve thought about chair yoga, but I don’t know much about it. (The others are unfamiliar.) I can see how it could be a step in the process.

Yes, where can I learn more?

1 Like

I recently wrote a post about yin and restorative yoga (the difference between the two and what the benefits of each are). Hatha is a very basic yoga style that almost every yoga studio has classes for. Here is a nice video for chair yoga. My mother has recently started chair yoga and really enjoys it.

I hope this helps you get started! I am here to answer more questions if you have them!

Abby

Hi Abby,

I’ve marked both pages for checking out when I have more time. Thank you for sharing & I’ll get back to you.

LB

1 Like

There are many different types of poses in yoga, each with its own benefits. The following are some of the most common types of poses:

Chair Pose. Chair pose helps to stretch the hip adductors, which are muscles located on the inner thigh. It also stretches the inner thigh and groin area, which can help relieve tension in these areas.

Triangle Pose (Trikonasana). Triangle pose helps to stretch out your spine, hips and ankles as it stretches your thighs and legs out to the side.

Plank Pose (Abandhavasana). Plank pose is a great way to improve balance and strength as well as stretching out your core muscles. Plank is also a great way to help relieve stress on your wrists from typing at a computer all day!

Cat/Cow Pose (Marjaryasana). Cat/cow pose is another great way to improve balance and strength as well as stretching out your core muscles. Cat/cow also helps relieve stress on your wrists from typing at a computer all day!