Ashtanga yoga?

Hi, my name is caroline.
I’m french (Brittany) and my english is not very good, sorry! :wink:
I’m teacher of gymnastic (step, LIA…), Qi Gong and karat?. I practise hatha yoga for my pleasure since two years. I’m very happy to discuss of yoga with you.
I’ve a question: what is the Ashtanga yoga exactly? How is a lesson of Ashtanga yoga ? Many sun’salutations with differents asanas? With musics or no? What is the difference with the ashtanga and the power yoga?
Thank you very much for your informations.:smiley:
Bye Bye.

Caro

Hi Caro. For authoritative and detailed explanations, follow these two links:

ASHTANGA YOGA RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Ashtanga Yoga Background

I’m pretty new to yoga myself and I’m becoming more interested in Ashtanga so here are some basic answers to the questions you asked based on what I’ve read:[B]

What is the Ashtanga yoga exactly?[/B]

The asanas are taught in a structured, six-level method. Breath is very important.

[B]How is a lesson of Ashtanga yoga?

[/B]Either “Mysore Style” which means each person moves at his or her own individual pace or a “Led Class” where the instructor calls out the asanas everyone follows. In both types the instructor walks around the room making adjustments.[B]

Many sun’salutations with differents asanas?

[/B]There are two varieties of sun saluations and each of the six levels has different asanas.

[B]With musics or no?

[/B]No music.

[B]What is the difference with the ashtanga and the power yoga?

[/B]Power yoga is derived from Ashtanga but doesn’t follow the six levels, it’s much more free-form and marketed to let people know it’s a “workout.”

Thank you very much for your informations.
In brittany (France), there are no lesson of Ashtanga yoga. :frowning:
I think to make stage more late at Paris. I’m very interested.
Bye bye.

Caroline

Salut Caroline,
There are two types (maybe more?) of yoga practices that have assumed the name Ashtanga Yoga: the Ashtanga Yoga of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois and the Classical Ashtanga Yoga of Baba Hari Das. That of Pattabhi Jois is probably the more recognizable to most people; it is what most are speaking of when they say Ashtanga yoga. My Ayurveda and pranayama teachers were trained in the Classical Ashtanga of Baba Hari Das.

Your English is very good by the way, though it might be best for you to search out these 2 teachers and styles on Google for a deeper understanding.

Namaste

Join Yoga Alliance accredited professional online 200 hours Hatha Yoga teacher certification course. With this course, you will develop all the necessary skills to start teaching yoga professionally. You will learn, how to instruct, adjust, correct, modify and structure a comprehensive yoga class. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate that enables you to start teaching yoga all over the world.

Accredited Online Yoga Teacher Training

Some key features of our online training program:

200 Hours Training

Well-rounded 200 hours teacher training

Become a Certified Teacher

Get a Yoga Alliance accredited Yoga teacher certificate

Study at Your Own Schedule

100% online course. Finish the course at your own pace

Live Online Sessions

Get twice a week live sessions with the teachers

The eight limbs of traditional Yoga - Ashtanga yoga progress from the physical to inner dimensions of human consciousness. The Patanjala Yoga Sutra proposes a holistic and transcendental awareness for this integration.
8-limba-of-Yoga - meditation
Yama, Niyama, Āsana, Prāṇāyāma and Pratyāhāra provide a strong foundation for the practice of Yoga. For powerful yogic meditation techniques, dhāraṇā, dhyana, and samādhi help in gradual and effortless concentration for achieving complete stillness of the body and mind.

Ashtanga yoga literally means "eight-limbed yoga," as outlined by the sage Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras. The purpose of purification of the body and mind

This yoga benefit includes strength, flexibility, stress management, and inner peace.

The Eightfold path

1. Yama or the moral rules of conduct

2. Niyama or self purification and self-regulation

3. Asana or posture

4. Pranayama or breath control

5. Pratyahara or withdrawal from senses

6. Dharana or concentration

7. Dhyana or a state of deep meditation

8. Samadhi or stage of total absorption