Ayurvedic Recipes

I’ve recently begun to dabble with a little Ayurvedic cooking. I picked up the book, Ayurvedic Cooking for Self Healing and have been enjoying it quite a bit! One of the great surprises is just how inexpensive it is to cook following Ayurvedic principles as bulk ingredients at my local indian grocer are quite inexpensive. For example, I purchased a big bag of Tumeric for just a couple dollars that probably would have cost somewhere around $533,493 at Whole Foods.

Anyway, I know there are some other folks out there who enjoy Ayurvedic cooking. I thought we could use this thread to share some of our favorite recipes :slight_smile: My favorite thus far:

[B]Green Bean Subji[/B]

4 cups green beans, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons safflower oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1 pinch hing
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon masala powder or cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt

Snap off the ends of the beans and slice on the diagonal into very small pieces about 1/4 inch long. Wash the beans twice.

Puree the garlic, ginger, coconut, cilantro, and water in a blender. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and hing. When the seeds pop, add the tumeric, masala powder, and chopped onion. Stir until the onion is soft and slightly brown. Add the blended mixture, salt, and green beans. Cover and simmer on low heat until tender, about 5-10 minutes.

Serves 4.

1 Like

Do you know I didnt know there was such a thing as Ayurvedic cookery, I’ve never seen a cookery book on it here in England…I will have to check this out…

I’m going to have a go at this…looks delicious

And yes, Indian food stores don’t rip you off…everything is cheaper…when they have a shop in their community its always aimed at honesty. E.g…If you buy 3 whole garlic bulbs in a supermarket, they cost 1.00 pound, but in my local Indian shop, if I get one, he gives to me, free!!..of course, I don’t take advantage of this.

Anymore tested recipes will be appreciated David x

Thank you for the recipe, do you happen to have a picture of finished dish? Sounds delicious!

I don’t, but the next time I make it, I’ll snap a pic.

This sounds good! I won’t have a hard time finding the ingredients either from where I am. Everything is available here! :slight_smile:

Here's my favorite Dal recipe I've made it 3 times in the past couple months

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1716

Serves 6

Nutritious and flavorful, with added heat from a jalape?o, this recipe is an ideal choice for a quick evening meal. Dal is one of the principal foods of the Indian subcontinent where the term can be used to mean either an ingredient or the dish made from it. If using green or black beluga lentils instead of red, the cooking time should be increased by 10 to 15 minutes. Serve over a bed of brown rice.
Ingredients

2 cups red lentils
2 tablespoons ghee
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes, with their juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt to taste
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
Method

Spread lentils out on a sheet tray and pick through to remove any stones or debris. Rinse lentils and drain well.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, cardamom, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add lentils, broth, tomatoes, cilantro, turmeric, salt and jalapeno and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stirring often, until lentils are soft, about 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.

I cook this for an hour or more so that it turns to mush

yummy!

Thank you for the recipe, Sounds delicious! great1

That sounds delicious! Anyone else have a good recepie for Kicheri?

6 Herbs To Keep Diabetes In Check
Since there is no definitive cure, treatment focuses on regulating and normalizing the production and usage of insulin in the body. In addition to medication, complimentary at-home therapies like herbs and supplements are very effective in regulating these levels. So, what are the best herbs for Diabetes? While there is no single answer, listed below are the 6 best herbs to combat Diabetes –
6 Herbs for Diabetes
Aloe Vera
Neem
Bitter Melon
Cinnamon
Fenugreek
Ginger

Sounds yum. I'll definitely try it

I tried different ayurvedic dishes at special restaurants, but I never cooked any by myself, thanks for reminding! Talking about healthy food in general, I just discovered for myself Hellofresh and hellofresh customer service , all of their products are just awesome.

Ayurveda, the Indian's subcontinents ancient healing and wellness system, still continues to be a marvel. A solid understanding of Ayurveda can help you live a better, more balanced and productive life.

Master the fundamentals of Ayurveda, the science of life with our 12 hours course. If you are a beginner in the world of Ayurveda, this course will give you all the fundamentals.

Meet Your Teacher,

RAM JAIN

(ERYT 500 & YACEP with over 40,000 hours of Teaching Experience)

I am thankful for the gift of yoga in my life. I've been helping people transform their lives with the science, practice, and principles of yoga & Ayurveda for over two decades.

Born into a family where yoga & Ayurveda has been the way of life since five generations, my formal education began aged eight at a Vedic school in India. I was trained in the tradition of Swami Sivananda. I received a solid foundation in ancient scriptures, including Ashtangh Sangraha, Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, and Yoga Sutras (to name a few).

My deep curiosity for knowledge also led me to study modern sciences like anatomy, physiology, western philosophy and modern yoga styles with pioneer teachers.

I founded Arhanta Yoga ashrams in 2009. I see yoga as a way to master the five senses, so I named our ashram 'Arhanta Yoga,' the yoga to master the five senses!

At Arhanta, we don't just teach yoga & Ayurveda. We teach you how to reach your potential, deepen your knowledge, build your confidence, and take charge of your life.