Back and chest pain

Q - I am hoping you can help? For approximately 2 months now I have had some back/chest pain. I only feel it when I move in certain ways or inhale deeply but some days (after or during practice of yoga asanas) I feel it with almost everything I do. The feeling is an ache. The area of discomfort seems to move! Some days it is located along the medial side of the lower left scapula or even just under the scapula. Other times I feel it more on the side of the rib cage, may be in the latissimus dorsi or more likely I think, the serratus anterior.

I feel the discomfort during scapula adduction and abduction (as shown in your book) both sitting and in cat however it is more noticeable during abduction. Neck flexion and rolling the head from side to side across the chest will also cause discomfort. In Standing forward bend I can feel it down the side if the scapula. When I go to roll over ay night it is sore or if I try to sit up. As I say when it is bad almost everything I do aggravates it to certain extent. In the mornings it seems to be worst and then improves during the day so long as I don’t do anything to physical. I don’t recall doing anything unusual or feeling any thing go that may have caused this and so I’m at a loss as to how to cure it and how to prevent it happening again. I have been having massage and acupuncture, which give some temporary relief. So any suggestions as to what I may have done and what I can do about it would be most welcome.
Thank you M

Without having the benefit of seeing you in person your assessment sounds quite accurate. I also wonder about involvement with the levator scapulae given your description of the increased discomfort with neck motions. In both cases the help of a bodyworker should assist you provided they know functional anatomy (kinesiology). If it were me I would go looking for others more adept then your current helpers. Asanas that can provide relief are simple cat pose and sunbird emphasizing the stretching and strengthening of the serratus (scapula abduction and adduction). Sometimes doing cat like motions in a sloppy (rounded back) plow can relief this area.