Back Pain

Hi,

I have had back pain all day. What yoga poses would be good for a beginner to help with it?

I’m a bit concerned about my back as I was rear-ended this morning while going to work, but it didn’t seem bad at the time.

I’d recommend to find out first what is happening to your back. After that you can find appropriate poses and develop appropriate diets and habits to cure your back.

I had back pain years ago, and doctors could not give me any answer. That why I started yoga and still do, cauz it works:)

I agree with citymonk, go see a Yoga Therapist if you can find one, or someone who works with bodies such as osteo, doc, chiro, physio…etc and get them to give you the low down on what they think is happening… then i’m sure you will be given a mountain of info from this forum :slight_smile:

Only problem is, I got hired a couple of months ago at my job, and the new health insurance doesn’t kick in til Nov 1st. If I go see someone before Nov 1st and get treated, it’ll be considered a pre-existing condition under my old high deductible plan that I was paying for myself as a temp. So I kinda need something sooner.

Why does your job need to know about you going to see someone? can’t you see a yoga therapist without them finding out?

Aum Shanti Aum
www.wix.com/aumshanti/yoga

[QUOTE=AumshantiAum;40242]Why does your job need to know about you going to see someone? can’t you see a yoga therapist without them finding out?

Aum Shanti Aum
[/QUOTE]

Not my job, but health insurance. I don’t have the money to go see a doctor without it.

Could you perhaps explain why you’re not pursuing an automobile insurance claim? It appears more than obvious that the person who collided with your this morning holds some culpability for the current state and it’s resolution.

gk

Hi amethyst & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your distress & concern.A suggesstion which may or may not help is to try doing the poses slower.Rest is also a good idea.Savasana is a good one.Yoga does’nt usually provide a magic fix or bullet.We usually traverse a line between efficacy and safety and culturation,i.e what our system is used to ,relative to what we can practice… I know the pace of modern living can put us into a hectic way of looking at things that can end up making us feel stressed and worn out. Yoga is your way and time for unwinding and getting in touch with your natural state, your true self,away from “society” and it’s demands, which is also one conducive to healing and recovery.

What do you tend to currently practice?

[QUOTE=core789;40259]Hi amethyst & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your distress & concern.A suggesstion which may or may not help is to try doing the poses slower.Rest is also a good idea.Savasana is a good one.Yoga does’nt usually provide a magic fix or bullet.We usually traverse a line between efficacy and safety and culturation,i.e what our system is used to ,relative to what we can practice… I know the pace of modern living can put us into a hectic way of looking at things that can end up making us feel stressed and worn out. Yoga is your way and time for unwinding and getting in touch with your natural state, your true self,away from “society” and it’s demands, which is also one conducive to healing and recovery.

What do you tend to currently practice?[/QUOTE]

I just have some Rodney Yee videos, I don’t know what kind of yoga they are specifically. They’re geared towards beginners. I use them when I feel stressed out.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;40248]Could you perhaps explain why you’re not pursuing an automobile insurance claim? It appears more than obvious that the person who collided with your this morning holds some culpability for the current state and it’s resolution.

gk[/QUOTE]

I am, for the car. It just happened this morning.

I don’t know for 100% sure the pain is directly related, but it could be. I don’t normally have it.

Sounds like you’re doing really well.I think you should slow down. Because if you live this way you will burn out sooner rather than later.I think there’s a lot of pressure to join the rat-race & aspire to live that way, especially before one realises it’s a lot of nonsense and illusory, i.e fake, because everyone expects you should. But it’s not sutainable and it’s not the way we we could be living.

One has to be practical but we are sold or are all tto often having an idea of how we should be living foisted on us. And it often involves dashing from point A to point B,all to make things look orderly & civllised.I think it’s good not to buy into it.

I would try out your usual practice only if your up for it but try goiing slower then se how you feel and modify your practice if & where necessary.

You say ’ back pain’ and i know it’s eaarly days yet,trust me,but on a scale of 1-10 if that could be applicable here, where might you put it? Or Indeed does it have any discernible location(s) or perhaps more of a general malaise unwell feeling?

[QUOTE=Amethystmoon;40268]I am, for the car. It just happened this morning.

I don’t know for 100% sure the pain is directly related, but it could be. I don’t normally have it.[/QUOTE]

If you’ve had an automobile accident this morning you are expected to be in some pain this afternoon and likely the next two days, and it is probably a good idea to at least call a doctor and ask them if you should pursue any other testing. If there is any problem that occurred which is related to the accident, then the vehicle insurance for the other car could be held responsible for bills, but if you wait, then they won’t.

On the other hand, maybe it is just a sore back from getting smashed into.
That’s a heavy, heavy burden on the body. Rest and maybe a long hot shower will help a little too.

My back still hurts today. It’s primarily the lower part.

If I’m still in pain at the end of the week, I’ll make an appointment to go and see someone.

I was rear-ended many years ago while pregnant. I had a rather substantial neck injury because of it. I went through the other persons insurance company to pay for my medical bills including 5 months of physical therapy. I would highly suggest that you either contact your automobile insurance agent and let him know about your back. He can assist you.

In the meantime, Rodney Yee DVD’s are quite good. But if you have a back injury you’ll want to, at this point, refrain from twisting or forward bending. Concentrate on poses where you are laying down, so that your back is supported. More restorative style yoga.

I cannot stress to you enough how important it is for you to follow up with this. A back injury is nothing to sneeze about and can greatly affect you for years to come.

Best of luck to you!

Since this is a yoga forum and not an auto insurance advocacy board I’ll offer the following:

We make choices all day long, in every moment, right now actually. And some of those are larger choices while others are small. And yet we sustain or absorb the results or consequences of our choices whether they are large or small.

In this case it is apparent that you have only a day or two in which to seek medical counsel AND have that covered as part of the accident process. There is actually a time limit. If you exceed that time limit you will be bearing the brunt of any expense on your own - something you’ve clearly outlined you cannot do at this time.

It is prudent to have this checked out immediately unless you fancy paying for it yourself. When going to the health care professional of your choosing make certain you reiterate on your forms that this feeling is the result of an auto accident. It is not to you, at this time, to determine if it is not a result of the accident. These things come on slowly and need to be addressed promptly so they do not linger. Better to be covered then not and err on the side of caution and your own well being.

[QUOTE=Amethystmoon;40215]Hi,

I have had back pain all day. What yoga poses would be good for a beginner to help with it?

I’m a bit concerned about my back as I was rear-ended this morning while going to work, but it didn’t seem bad at the time.[/QUOTE]

Just minutes ago I posted about it in the thread “Do you think Mudras work ?”

Look there how someone was effectively cured of back pain: sitting in lotus with thumbs up, fists on the knees.

Sorry to hear about your back pain and the accident. For beginner-friendly yoga poses, Cat-Cow and Child's Pose might help ease some of that tension. But given the car bump, it's a good idea to check with a doc before diving into any new exercise, just to be safe. You can reach out to professionals through northshoreconnect for advice tailored to your situation. Take care and hope your back feels better soon!