Beginner with issues

Hello everyone,

I have spent the last few days reading and exhausting all the valuable information from these forums - which I must say have been very interesting for me.

I am new to both yoga & meditation. The reason I took interest is due to high stress levels with work and several mindlessness issues, such as not being able to stop my mind draining my energy through tireless & pointless wandering, a small - medium obsession with fitness, food and never being able to find a balance that makes me happy. I find it takes up all my time, yet I can’t justify a compromise.

I have found a mix of yoga and meditation has had positive results so far (I have practised regular mindfulness of the breath for 5-10 mins), however I am still struggling to slow down and appreciate here and now. I find myself constantly beating myself up striving to better myself without having a clear goal - specifically with my fitness & gym.

Any advice about any practices which may help me come to terms with my life and give me guidance on how to control my mindlessness is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to thought provoking entertainment, presented by a cast of characters?you seem to be going in desirable direction; researching, practicing, discussions with others. Careful not to let the goal become the obstacle, I had to fill my head with conceptual non-sense before it all began to progress in a positive direction, perhaps not everyone needs to take the same path. It may take time, effort and consistency. The off switch can be hard to find, the mind likes to entertain itself, play games; meditation allows you the opportunity to retrain set up new synapses, desirable pathways. At first you may learn to redirect focus on one point then on no point. If you find it difficult to stop the chatter, acknowledge it, think how chaotic it really is; illusions of the future, rethinking the dead past then say to yourself ok we?ll think about this later for now it?s time to allow the witness of the moment to observe. The best one can do is to create an inner environment for spontaneous meditation.

[QUOTE=asje1;55476]Hello everyone,

I have spent the last few days reading and exhausting all the valuable information from these forums - which I must say have been very interesting for me.

I am new to both yoga & meditation. The reason I took interest is due to high stress levels with work and several mindlessness issues, such as not being able to stop my mind draining my energy through tireless & pointless wandering, a small - medium obsession with fitness, food and never being able to find a balance that makes me happy. I find it takes up all my time, yet I can’t justify a compromise.

I have found a mix of yoga and meditation has had positive results so far (I have practised regular mindfulness of the breath for 5-10 mins), however I am still struggling to slow down and appreciate here and now. I find myself constantly beating myself up striving to better myself without having a clear goal - specifically with my fitness & gym.

Any advice about any practices which may help me come to terms with my life and give me guidance on how to control my mindlessness is greatly appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I would advise [I]you[/I] to explore the complete style of yoga called Ashtanga Vinyasa.

[QUOTE=The Scales;55499]I would advise [I]you[/I] to explore the complete style of yoga called Ashtanga Vinyasa.[/QUOTE]

I like the sounds of that after reading up about it on wiki - do you think a DVD would suffice to begin with?

Sorry to be a depressing but I have more issues I’d like to touch on.

I often struggle with negative thoughts, always punishing myself mentally when I don’t goto the gym for a couple days, I struggle to prioritise what really matters in life, I’ll often ponder mindlessly for an afternoon over eating a muffin at tea when I mentally only wanted to eat the salad. Is there a practise which will help me train my mind to think more positively. I have had some success thinking about less fortunate people and basically telling myself to stop being so selfish.

Thanks

Both Richard Freeman and David Swenson have comprehensive DVDs for Ashtanga Vinyasa asana. Realize yoga is a comprehensive 8 limbed scientific system that may take considerable time and effort to even begin to grasp. Although I considered it a well tested vehicle to help oneself on the path of life, there are other members of this Forum better read/studied/practiced not to mention articulate in the written word that could get you started in a positive direction, I?m afraid my advice and explanations would pale in comparison. I?m still distracted in awe the depth of yoga and how the concepts and system may have been around since man himself. From what you describe and seem to be seeking any exploration of yoga would be nothing but helpful; yes buy one of the DVD?s and get started with the asana.

[QUOTE=asje1;55476]Hello everyone,

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Don’t worry about mind, establish a regular, consistent practice and mind will fall into place.
It can take a while, but the benefits already experienced will get better and better.
Sometimes its 1 step forwards, 2 back, sometimes you climb a mountain in a day.
Stick with it, be patient yet persistent.
Enjoy…