Best Yoga Mat to use on a carpet

I started attending Yoga classes at my local gym. Much to my disappointment, there are no Yoga studios near me that have classes that will work with my schedule and the gym only has two classes a week, so I’ve decided to start practicing in my apartment with the aid of DVDs and Yoga books.

Unfortunately, I ran into a problem almost immediately. The sticky mat I had from when I tried Pilates is next to impossible to use on my carpet for the weight loss type Yoga video I have - it bunches and slides under my feet when I jump from pose to pose.

I was wondering if anyone here could help direct me to a type of mat that’s more suitable to use on carpet or another possible solution. I did find some portable Yoga floors - but honestly, I could practically go to Home Depot and make my own.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

At home when I practice on carpet I do not use a mat.

What function are you expecting from a mat?

Vacuum regularly and skip the mat.

Vic

I have found that the Manduka mat actually does quite well on carpeting. It’s a hefty price, but will last you a lifetime. It’s my 2nd favorite mat around (1st is the Jade Harmony). www.manduka.com , but the cheapest place I’ve found it is amazon.

I agree with xela, the manduka mat I have works great at home on a carpet. I did purchase the travel eko manduka which is a lot more reasonable in price (here in Canada $60, but I have seen some American sites listing them at $40). It is also more compact than the traditional manduka.
This might work great for a home practice.

I never used a mat on carpeting, I only started using a mat occasionally when I was on a hardfloor.

A pilates mat probably won’t be so good for yoga even on a hard floor. If a carpet is pretty flat and not too squishy any yoga mat might be passable but if there is more to the carpet or you’re doing a lot of jumping I agree something like the Manduka does better, its thick and stiff enough to cover up some squishiness and not bunch. I use a thin mat on a berber type carpet and my Manduka on a low pile plush carpet and it’s ok.

Something like the yoga paws is another idea for carpet, you don’t have to worry about them bunching up and they prevent sliding which is the biggest problem on some carpets.

My main concern with doing yoga is a carpeted floor is that the extra cushioning of the hands can lead to some compression issues on the wrist area. This can result to serious injuries with time. If possible try practicing on a hardwood floor. It may be uncomfortable but it provides better stability, balance and it is more hygienic than practicing on a carpet.

Seems amazon will help.