Best Yoga Mat?

Hi everyone!

I am in the market for a new mat, but don’t know which one to get. I know a few of the big names but I would love to hear some new suggestions and why you chose what you did.

Thank you all!

I think it’s less important to determine the brand (which one) than it is to actually share what to look for in a mat. So I’ll go over the latter and let others determine the former.

Some mats off-gas (translation: they smell). That smell can remain for the life of the mat or “burn off”. It depends on what it is they’ve coated the mat with. Since you’ll be smelling it up close and person for years to come and since most of that off-gassing stuff is toxic to one level or another this is the primary thing I would avoid.

Some mats, also depending on what they are coated/made with, are “sticky” or slippery. And again this can be for the life of the mat. There are some poses that require sticky and others that require some slippage.

The material itself can be an issue for some and many mats are made with PVC which is produced using chlorine. Since that is a neurotoxin it’s best to avoid such products (and have a proper water filter on your shower head). TPE, PER, and Jute are all viable alternatives. While the jute is perhaps the least offensive I don’t “enjoy” it for my practice. To each their own.

Mat thickness is also something to consider. And this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand you have to lie on the things and be comfortable both supine and prone. On the other hand you have to schlep the thing around.

Personally …

My old PER mat is a great thickness, 1/4" but it’s not quite long enough. I’ve had it for years and it’s one of my favorites.

The Jade Harmony is a bit too sticky and a bit to smelly but still I find use for it and it’s easy to roll up and tote to class for teaching or practice.

The Manduka is a nice mat as long as it’s not black but it’s a load to carry to and from anything.

Hmmmm you’ve given me a lot to think about. Thank you so much for your input!