Best Yoga Mats

Hi Everyone,
I’m sorry if this is a stereotypical question to ask, but I am new to this forum, so please forgive me :wink:

I am starting to do Yoga quite a bit more these days, and as I live near a big city, I want to start going to Yoga to the People (I’ve never been, so if you have any opinions or experiences you’d like to share about these classes, that would be great as well!)…

However, I’d rather invest in my own mat than spend the $2 to rent one every single time. My main complaint with most mats I’ve used in the past is that they are not sticky enough - especially for my occasional hot yoga class. I don’t tend to care too much about how thick they are…

I am not looking to spend a whole lot of money (college is expensive :rolleyes:), but I know that I will be using this mat fairly frequently. So I suppose I’m looking for something in between the really cheap crummy ones and the insanely expensive ones…

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

While I personally don’t care for it, the Jade Harmony mat fits the modus operandi of the offender you are seeking.

Sorry for the interruption and not actually answering the question but…

This leads me to a question about mats as well. Where can I get a mat that is made for someone over 6 feet tall that has got fairly broad shoulders?

I have a mat that I used years ago but it was, IMO, always to small; not long enough and not wide enough.

Good question:

Sunshine has one

gordon

Thank You

That is exactly what I was looking for.

when I started yoga - no one had a mat. we practiced on the bare floor or on the blanket. Sometimes, especially, on retreats I’ve got to sit or stand on the bare Earh:) stones, gras…lovely…
Well, as an ascetic yogi I’m buying cheap mats at Ross about $7 a piece. Just as good as others. I worked in the advertising industry for a while (and holding a masters degree in that) and I can tell you that most of every-day-life things that are expensive and has recognizable name on it is priced %500 more. Well, one does not need a degree to say that:)) Ross forever ! $7 a mat

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;29961]Good question:

Sunshine has one

gordon[/QUOTE]

I forgot about this and should post.

I got this mat and it is exaclty what I wanted, thanks

http://www.friendly-green-products.com/store.php?seller=Greenproducts&navt1=21819&sort=&pd=116800

As someone who strives to be environmentally friendly/responsible, the above is a link to my favorite mat. It’s Gaiam’s Eco-Friendly Earth Lovers Mat. I have yet to find a better mat with better traction. I never slip. I have now had the same mat for 2 years and it still looks new and the traction is still excellent. Pricey, but considering I’ve not had to purchase one for 2 years, I think it is well worth it. Many of my students have invested in this and love it also.

I just can’t bring myself to buy cheap mats and then keep replacing them.

Thanks IA and LG for the links. I got a lululemon mat as a gift last summer, which I wouldn’t have bought for myself, but which is actually of pretty good quality. In the spirit of being environmentally friendly, I will use this until it’s worn out and refer to those places for my new one.

I personally like Manduka mats. I have used quite a few including jade. The key to not slipping is a yogi toe towel over you mat. Make the towel very wet where your feet and hands are placed and you will stick to the mat even under the hottest of conditions.

lotusgirl,
Thanks a bunch! After I made this thread, I ended up buying a fairly cheap Gaiam mat on Amazon - the $16 - $19 variety. I like it a lot, actually - it’s gotten stickier as I’ve used it, but it’s starting to get kind of dirty and worn at either end where my feet usually go for the majority of my practice.

I figure since I liked my Gaiam so much, I might as well go with the eco-friendly version next time! And I think this mat is a good compromise, since it’s a bit cheaper than the Jade Harmony mat, and if it is as sticky as you say, I think I will be quite pleased with it :smiley:

Thanks for all the tips, everybody! It’s much appreciated!

[QUOTE=1stDogoftheday;46332]I personally like Manduka mats. I have used quite a few including jade. The key to not slipping is a yogi toe towel over you mat. Make the towel very wet where your feet and hands are placed and you will stick to the mat even under the hottest of conditions.[/QUOTE]

I like Manduka black mats. Of course, I had an opportunity to get five for $125 dollars a few years ago from friends who was moving their wellness center and got tired of moving stuff & decided to have a big sale.
I could not pass up the opportunity to stock up!
That said… if a $20 mat is sticky & durable, go for it!

[quote=Yulaw;29960]Sorry for the interruption and not actually answering the question but…

This leads me to a question about mats as well. Where can I get a mat that is made for someone over 6 feet tall that has got fairly broad shoulders?

I have a mat that I used years ago but it was, IMO, always to small; not long enough and not wide enough.[/quote]

My home mat is a revolution sticky mat from Prana which is much wider and slightly longer than your usual mat. My husband uses it as well (he’s 6’2 )and his hands are always placed nicely on the mat.

http://www.prana.com/revolution-natural-sticky-mat.html

My favorite mat that goes to studios with me is my Jade Harmony…like a best friend.

[QUOTE=Yulaw;46301]I forgot about this and should post.

I got this mat and it is exaclty what I wanted, thanks[/QUOTE]

ahh perfect! I too have been looking for something like this