Blind student

Q - I have a small class of students who are about 40 yrs old. I have a blind student in the class as a first-time Yoga student. She is a mouth-breather, and of course, I need some advice or resource info as this is a challenge for both of us. Proprioceptors? As far as her ability to move into asanas she’s forceful in her movements. Age is 49 and her health is fine otherwise. Any ideas? She is very eager to learn.

have some experience in teaching the blind at the Carroll School for the Blind when I lived in Boston. Ideal is to watch the student and give instructions to her frequently reminding her to breath through her nostrils. Give plenty of awareness of the sound and wave like motion of the Ujjaye pranayama (for more details see my book). In helping her to increase proprioception give her spatial orientation with regard to walls and other students and have her describe how close she feels to others and objects. She is naturally going to be working to increase her intuition anyway but you can assist in that development as the process of leading to the inner teacher who is all-seeing. Also recommend plenty of floor poses where whole body is in contact with the ground to heighten tactile sensitivity.