Body reading and ROM findings - Somerset Yogini's

[CENTER][B][U] [/U][/B]
[B][U]Dec 06 ? Jan 07[/U][/B][/CENTER]

[U]JFS findings:[/U]

•      Both of us found that when doing #7 ?sunbird?, we realised that we had been using the muscles in reverse to their proper use. i.e. when extending leg using quads, then hamstrings with hip flexion, should be the other way around!

•      Both had difficulty in engaging strength with adductors in ROM #8. We feel it on lateral part of leg along TFL, instead of inner leg.

(later in body reading we can see that inner leg muscles are not particularly defined.)
When we ?let go? of trying to achieve ROM with the adductors, we could actually engage them more successfully!

[U]JFS Questions:[/U]

• When finding it hard to discern the primary muscle contracting to form the motion, is this weakness of the muscle?

[U]ROM findings:[/U]

• We are having difficulty in discerning ?end points? and reading ?compensation? signs on the other side of the body. (see below for q?s re this).

• Hip Flexion (supine): We are ?cautious? when we are working with the hip flexion. Sometimes we feel that the ROM could be more, but are hesitant to go there.

• Able to ?feel? the difference with legs more easily eg the weight, sounds, movement etc.

[I]- re: ?negative? results from ROM?:[/I]
One of Uma?s students who suffers from neck pain, mentioned that since she had ROM tests (not on neck, on hips) she had more pain and has revisited her chiropractor, that she hasn?t needed to do recently.
This obviously has made Uma slightly hesitant and cautious.

•      Shoulder extension (prone): We discovered that we had to slant the goniometre in order to be able to read the results. 

[U]ROM Questions:[/U]

•      End Point question: Shoulder extension (prone):  We are not sure when ROM changes from extension to rotation, therefore when to read the ROM accurately. In the DVD Mukunda says the end point is when the shoulder starts lifting ? does this mean the scapula, and whether that is moving? We are confused! Any suggestions about this?

•      End point? Q:  if someone is hypermobile, does one take them to that seeming point of extreme ROM? Because we find it scary to do so!!!

•      Has anyone else experienced any ?aftermath? from their clients after (meaning a few days / a week) a ROM reading, when at the time they did not mention any discomfort from the movements?

•       If you have experienced a similar situation like the above, how have you dealt with it.

•      Shoulder extension (prone): Should the palms be facing the body when doing this reading?

•      When one can see a clear reaction in the other side of the body, even if the ROM of the part of the body has obviously not reached its full ROM, do you read it from that point? 

•      When ?clients? are intrigued by the findings and ask, and you read that they are below / above 

*************************************************************************************8

[U]Body Reading Findings:[/U]

We were able to notice differences from one side to the other in tone, length, curvature, deviation etc.

During body reading Miranda freely admitted her attitude to her body image, which was reflected by the findings in her body reading eg parts that she is uneasy with, were the parts of the body less toned, or standard.
Uma was less vocal about her attitude to her body.

Uma found when reading Miranda that the shoulder reading looked the same from front to back, but didn?t correlate when looking at the distance between the shoulder and ear. Vata!!!

[U]Body Reading Questions:[/U]

When Body reading do we stand in our ?yoga-like? tadasana? Or revert to our bodies? habitual postural tendency (even if we stand more in the former?).

Should feet be together or slightly apart for the body reading?
We ask this because Uma recalls Mukunda saying to bring ankles together, but in book picture it showns feet apart. This is a little detail but does help to know because Uma has bowed legs and this is more apparent with feet together.

[U] [/U]
[U] [/U]
[U] [/U]
[U]Insights from Course:[/U]
[U] [/U]
Body reading / ROM testing relationship.
The connection between what we see from reading the students bodies and what results we get from the ROM testing is now becoming more obvious.

Shoulders / hips / neck / SI joint relationship.
There seems to be a reoccurring theme of pain in shoulders / neck with pain in lower back / SI joint.

[B][U]Questions re: course content:[/U][/B]
[B] [/B]
[B]Do we need to revise and be able to NAME the 6 hip rotator muscles ?[/B]
[B]Do we need to revise and be able to know to NAME the 6 segenbts if the erector spinae?[/B]
[B] [/B]
[B] [/B]

Uma Jo -

IN sending me Q in this form also send me email to let me know you have posted something. Otherwise i don’t realize to look here. Also To make it easier in future please number your questions. I will give comments to each topic that feels that need.

JFS Findings -

you are thinking not feeling - quads straighten knee not extend hip

hamstrings do that. feeling hamstrings in pulling leg forward is feeling a stretch. one must learn to feel and understand feeling so it makes sense. ditto on add/abd awareness.

ROM findings -

look for adjacent joint to move to indicate end of ROM.

in general anyone in acute (active) pain should not be subject for examinations. especially this is true when there is neck pain even when examining distal joints. all spinal muscle motions will stress neck in this case. one example of learning the hard way.

ROM questions -

again look for any motion in adjacent joint that would mean scapula or collarbones when checking for shoulder extensions.  palms face body when doing this text.

people with high ROM go to end point same as others just range is greater.  don't be afraid, look at their face they are serene until you go beyond ROM>  any other reading that goes beyond normal may not appear to be normal because they are flexible.  also in reverse you may think they are more flexible but when anything else moves they are at end point.  Moving them beyond end point will make them sore next day.  in next training remind me to show "fluffing" technique to help relieve this.  

it is ok to tell clients whether they are at or not normal ROM.  just don't go the next step yet to interpreting that as you are just in class 3.  

bodyreading questions -

read natural posture first.  then if you are uncertain as to knock or bowed legs have them stand with feet together.  It is only here that you can see this change.  

insights -

indeed pain in shoulder neck area is often correlated with s/i imbalances and vice versa.  what is more acute or reactive may not reveal opposite sensitivity until ROM exam then it shows up.

anatomy =

you do not need to know layer 2 anatomy such as deep spinal muscles or deep 6 of external hip rotators.  just know what they do.  namaste mukunda