Book of Yoga for Office Workers

Hi there, I am writing a book for office workers, (desk and computer bound folks) to bring to them some Yoga techniques they can practice at their desk or in their office. If anyone has any specific office related ailments to ask about or any advice or suggestions for me, they would be much appreciated. Namaste. Sirie

Dear Sirie,

You don’t specify if your book is written by a yogi for yogis, or if you are interested in gathering yoga based techniques to add to your book. Can you tell us a little about your orientation to yoga and about the book you are writing? It sounds interesting and I’m sure many people who use the computer or are at a desk for work can benefit from such information.

As a yoga instructor and student of massage therapy, there are certainly things that come to mind for me. I would like to know more about where you are with your project and specifically, what you are asking for here at the forum.

Namaste,
Chandra

Dear Sirie, thank you for your interest. I am a student of Yoga as well as an instructor. I have been a bodyworker for eight years. I am writing a book geared to current yogis and yogis lying in wait…My intention is to offer some yoga tools and techniques to help alleviate stress during the work day. I propose to offer tips on developing a 10-15 min. practice one could practice in the privacy of their office or at their desk. I am suggesting that these techniques could help bring ease back into the work day as well as offering a new perspective to help tackle the tasks at hand.
I hope this is enough info for you and would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Sounds as though you are well qualified to develop a routine or even several routines whch would target areas of tension commonly experienced by office workers. I would certainly recommend the neck/back and shoulder portions of the Joint Freeing Series (published in Structural Yoga Therapy by Mukunda Stiles. This is the most therapeutic sequence I have worked with. Certainly people working at a desk and especially at computers users will want advice for easing wrists, so the flexors and extensors of the arms should be highlighted. The trapezius could also use a good stretch and strengthening of the lower portion, too, to counteract the raised shoulders from typing, answering phones and generally being stressed out. I would also recommend including a relaxation breath which can be useful not only for the tension reducing routine, but anytime stress is creeping up. Finally, I would suggest some eye relaxers such as palming and/or visual ROM. Hope this helps, and hope others will add their ideas as well. Best of luck to you and your book. May your work benefit many.

Namaste,
Chandra