Calm rational discussion regarding Hinduism and Abrahamic religions

God Will Kill Children

The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don’t give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, “All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children.” (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children

“Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, “Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all ? old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple.” So they began by killing the seventy leaders. “Defile the Temple!” the LORD commanded. “Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!” So they went throughout the city and did as they were told.” (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

God Will Kill the Children of Sinners

If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted. (Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)

More Rape and Baby Killing

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Kill Your Neighbors

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, “All of you who are on the LORD’s side, come over here and join me.” And all the Levites came. He told them, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors.” The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, “Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing.” (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

The Bible, especially the Old Testament, is filled with numerous stories of animal and human sacrifice. God, we are told, likes the pleasing aroma of burning flesh. Animal sacrifice is much more common than human sacrifice, but both occur and are “pleasing to the Lord”.

Genesis, the first book of the Bible, has Abraham preparing to sacrifice his son to God. “Take your son, your only son ? yes, Isaac, whom you love so much ? and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will point out to you.” (Genesis 22:1-1 Abraham takes his own son up on a mountain and builds an altar upon which to burn him. He even lies to his son and has him help build the altar. Then Abraham ties his son to the altar and puts a knife to his throat. He then hears God tell him this was just a test of his faith. However, God still wanted to smell some burnt flesh so he tells Abraham to burn a ram.

Wow, there is actually a context to justify this? Killing homosexuals? Stoning to death a woman who commit adultry? Burning a woman alive if she is not a virgin when shes married? Killing women and children? Sacrificing animals to please god? Stoning to death people from other religions? Genocide? Murdering people who do not obey the preists?

Have no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. “Defile the Temple!” the LORD commanded. “Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!” So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Please do reveal the context :wink:

Surya, you keep regurgitating the same old, same old. You very much need to open your eyes and heart to how you are articulating your points. Can you not find a better way than to copy and paste passage after passage. I do believe someone had stated that there are many translations of the Bible and many have been taken out of context.

And I do believe I said words that were written thousands of years ago have a different meaning today. Everything in proper context.

You are not debating or discussing, but preaching. Again, same old, same old. Use your superior intellect to educate us on things you know first hand such as pranayam or meditation or something other than preaching the ills of the Bible and Abrahamic religions.

Again, you have eyes but do not see. You have ears but do not listen. It would serve you well to open both.

Surya, you keep regurgitating the same old, same old. You very much need to open your eyes and heart to how you are articulating your points. Can you not find a better way than to copy and paste passage after passage. I do believe someone had stated that there are many translations of the Bible and many have been taken out of context.

And I do believe I said words that were written thousands of years ago have a different meaning today. Everything in proper context.

:lol:

So you are saying it does not say kill homosexuals? Stone adulterous women to death? Burn a woman to death if she is not a virgin when shes married? Kill women and children? Sacrifice animals to please god? Stone to death people from other religions? Genocide? Murdering people who do not obey the preists?

What does it say then ? :wink:

Note the topic title: Calm and rational discussion of Abrahamic religions vs Hinduism. The topic title does not say, “Pranayama and Meditation” I will discuss Pranayana and meditation where the topic is about Pranayama and meditation, and the Abrahamic religions vs Hinduism where the topic is about that.

Stop preaching to me what I should or should not discuss. I treat each topic in the same way and discuss with the same intellect and standards of reasoning.

You simply do not like the fact that the religion that you have affinity with is being exposed in public for the barbarity it contains.

A responsible member of their religion is honest about the problems in their religion. I am very honest about modern problems
of casteism with rural Hindus and superstition. Why can you not be honest and admit that your scripture does contain very
barbaric things, and rather than denying it, why don’t you admit that the OT needs to be taken out of the bible. So future
Christians don’t have to read such barbarity.

What does it say then ? ;)[/QUOTE]
Go actually read it. When you have, and you finally realize that there is more to this than things you Google and paste, then you will be able to discuss.

Your cutesie little smileys are sardonic and condescending.

Not once have I seen you quote a single passage from the bible advocating peace, love and tolerance. These are the qualities being shown to you by the Christians who are posting back to you. The quotes you condemn, about fire and brimstone and rigid rules are what you yourself are exemplifying. Perhaps you are an Old Testament Christian and never realized it until now? :wink:

Showing me passages from the bible advocating peace, love and tolerance is not goinng to change the fact it also contains these barbaric things. Is the Christian god schizophrenic or something? One moment he is killing babies, having women raped and conducting genocide on people, and the other is he is loving you?

Do you accept the OT by the way?

Oh give up. It’s hopeless. I have to go teach my class and need to prepare.

Lotusgirl ji,

It is you who needs to give up. You’ve already lost this debate. The bible does indeed contain what I just cited. That in any civilised person’s book is savage and barbarian.

Lets’s not forget the honest words of our man Voltaire:

“Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.” Where is the prince sufficiently educated to know that for seventeen hundred years the Christian sect has done nothing but harm?’ “Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.”

History shows Christianity to be a savage and barbarian religion. Can’t argue with history now :wink:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;37795] Can’t argue with history now ;)[/QUOTE]

Well you can if someone distorts it and takes it out of context but then again…:wink:

of course you are right :cool:

Oh Surya, go back and re-read the posts on this thread please. Then tell us ALL again that we have not made our case. Now I do have to run.

This is not a debate but a calm rational discussion. A discussion is for an open exchange of ideas, not one side trying to prove the other wrong. I wish to know more of Hinduism and not why you may consider it superior. That taints my view of what you say, and gives me no desire to listen. I would like to make my own decisions on what to believe and not feel like I’m being preached too!

What do you want to know about Hinduism?

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;37798]Oh Surya, go back and re-read the posts on this thread please. Then tell us ALL again that we have not made our case. Now I do have to run.[/QUOTE]

I do not think you have made a case for Christianity, if you have, it is a very weak case. I have so far shown very compelling evidence against Christianity

1. The unmitigated evil in the OT. The OT god is savage and barbarian, ordaining things like genocide, rape, infanticide, murder and laws like stoning to death and burning to death women, and killing people who question preists. I directly cited from the OT. This is the same god of the NT.

2. I have shown that Christianity has an endless bloody history of crusades, inquisitions, witch burning, genocides.

3. I have shown that even today Christianity is involved in nefarious missionary activity especially in Asia are engaging in fundamentalist and terrorist activity in places like India, denigrating the native culture. The same is taking place in Iraq.

4. I have shown that Christianity contains exclusivist doctrines which condemn non believers to eternal hell.

5. I have shown that Christianity teaches wrong doctrines like people rising up from graves on judgement day and flat and young earth.

6. I have shown that Jesus was a cult leader. He held arrogant views about himself being the only son of god, the only way and went around collecting followers to worship him. I have also shown that there is no evidence he even existed.

7. I have shown the major intolerance in Christianity for alternative views by showing how a respectable and famous celebrity like Oprah Winfery gets demonized for teaching new-age views by influencial Christian preachers.

8. I have shown how Christianity regularly changes what it teaches based on what is popular thus exposing itself as nothing more than a means of political control.

Overall the case I have made against Christianity is very strong and damning.

In response you have just repeatedly said that you know many peace loving Christians and refer to new age and liberal minority sects of Christianity to pretend that Christianity does not do this. Rather than making a case defending Christianity against my arguments, you have made an apology that has often been the same, “This is an isolated case”

“You cannot learn anything if you already feel that you know.”

“Preconceived ideas and prejudices always prevent us from seeing the truth.”

SD,

People have made their case. Over and over again. You interpret Biblical translations to build your case. Even when we have presented you with proof, you dismiss it and find fault with it. There really is no further reason to continue this discussion.

If I may ask another question that will likely go unanswered

Surya Deva

Is English your first language?

This is a serious question and not a disrespectful one. Half of my family does not have English as their first language and many of them do not speak English at all and that, culturally, can cause all sorts of miss understandings of things said, things seen and things written

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;37469]What is there of value to be taken from the Abrahamic religions? The art of crusades and jihads? The science of inquisitions and the skill of mythology?
Or perhaps it is the knowledge of how to beat your wife and make her submit to your carnal desires?[/QUOTE]

So far you have negated:

1. Jesus Christ
  2. Christianity and Christian Saints.
  3. Babaji
  4. Teachings of Yogananda
  5. Mahatma Gandhi
  6. Coran

and now you negate the great Indian guru Swami Sivananda.

Do you really expect someone to believe you ?

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;37894]SD,

People have made their case. Over and over again. You interpret Biblical translations to build your case. Even when we have presented you with proof, you dismiss it and find fault with it. There really is no further reason to continue this discussion.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, where is this non-existent proof? I have not interpreted anything from the bible. I have directed cited from it. It does indeed contain acts of violence, rape, genocide, infanticide ordained by our man god himself.

You should be honest enough to admit that it does.