Calm rational discussion regarding Hinduism and Abrahamic religions

Except for the harsh points that might bring others down

[QUOTE=kareng;38616]Except for the harsh points that might bring others down[/QUOTE]

Is this a continuation of the post you made saying you support SD? I think it must be, I’m just trying to follow things here.

My support for SD is that SD has had the courage to state some facts about Christianity and Islam etc which shamefully, are true. I would abandon my belief in Buddhism in a heartbeat if I were told to go on a killing spree, to rise up against other religions.to damn gays, witches adulterers, to cut off a mans balls for adultery, or his hand for theft, or to stone a woman for adultery…I cant express it strongly enough how outdated and cruel these concepts and actions are.

How can a loving God be called a loving God and on the same page echo hatred and violence, it is illogical.

I am a jealous God…this gets my back up…the suffering caused by Jealousy in todays society is because for century’s it has been accepted as okay…its not. It is a weakness in us that needs to be seriously questioned. not supported as okay, it is a sickness that can get completely out of hand.

I know that if I had to defend my family or myself, I would kill, but I don’t want to have to do this and while ever there are religions supporting this threat, I reject them without question, the same as I would a murderer.

The old books need to be either discarded or re written to help create more stable society’s, worldwide.

I have known since as early as I can remember that violence of any description is wrong
most of us do…what is it that makes others defend a religion that thinks its alright? are they ignorant, crazy, what is it?

I live next to Muslims, 30 years they have brought me food and I have taken round cakes…a lovely couple, I asked them about their beliefs and he said that not all Muslims are fundamentalists and want to make wars, BUT if he was called to defend his faith he would HAVE to. I told him I found this disturbing, he didn’t comment.

In Buddhism, Buddha stated that anyone reading his words should question what he has put and decide for themselves whether they agree or not. There are no expressions of violence and hatred, the only things I have read that express otherwise are references to third eye sights.

I know Christians who have Gay friends, so they are ignoring the Bible and in so doing are proclaiming that the Bible is wrong, in parts. So why not remove these parts?

The pope came over to Britain recently, it cost 12 million pounds and all this whilst children are currently starving in the Niger, Pakistan and Northern India 20 million suffering, etc etc etc etc I find this outrageous,

I do realise that there are corrupt, mentally ill violent people in all walks of life but lets condone it in writing or allow what has already been written to stay for future generations to be misguided by.

Kind Regards Kareng

http://yoganiketan.net/kriyayoga/Kriya_Yoga.pdf

At page 63 of the book you can find that:

Swami Sri Yukteshvar wrote the book “The Holy Science” , urged by Babaji.
He shows the similarity of Christ’s teachings with the Hindu scriptures.

The link above works only if you have permission. Here is another link, showing the unity of all religions, accordin to the book "Holy Science" by Swami Sri Yukteshvar.

Its not that I disapprove or want to banish all other religions just the parts that condone what I have stated in last post

Universal quotations of unity

http://www.theharmonyinstitute.org/docs/unity.pdf

“Who worship other gods with heart of faith, they too adore but Me behind those forms, unknowing of the one direct way.”

The Bhagavad Gita

[QUOTE=kareng;38641]My support for SD is that SD has had the courage to state some facts about Christianity and Islam etc which shamefully, are true.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, but have you the courage to acknowledge some shamefully true facts about Hinduism? Or are all the reports, witnesses, and experiences shared by so many all bogus?

Started to re-read a book by the Dalai Lama called Becoming Enlightened and came across something I wanted to share.

He states one may discover which religion is the most profound, but if we ask which is best then the answer is more difficult. The reason being the value of a religion is relative to each individual. One religion’s philosophical view may be very comprehensive, but can still be inappropriate for an individual. Teaching needs to be relevant to the student. So if Buddhism, for example, does not resonate with a particular individual, then it is not right for that person. If it is not right for that person, how can it be the best? Same can be said of Christianity, Hinduism Islam, etc.

The religion which is best is one suited to the temperament of the person. However, that religion must still provide a valid way to develop for that person and valid teachings. I am afraid most Christians or Muslims are not provided that. Their religions are spiritually impoverished. This is most unfortunate for them, for they have not had an opportunity to be exposed to real spirituality. Unless they are fortunate enough to be exposed to a Gnostic sect of these religions.

The Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists and Taoists are fortunate in that they have both valid methods to develop and valid spiritual teachings. In those the most fortunate are those who are exposed to the Vedas, for they are getting the purest form of spirituality on this planet. I consider myself fortunate that I was able to find the Vedas in this life. I must have done something good in my previous life.

If Christians or Muslims have not been provided that, meaning a valid way to develop for that person and valid teachings, what is the motivation for them to stay within their religion? Many are very devout and never leave their faith. Why would one stay faithful to a religion they feel has not satisfied them both spiritually and intellectually?

They do not leave their faith because they want to believe. However, people who are brave enough and critical enough to eventually leave. There has been a massive exodus especially in Europe of people leaving Christianity. If Christianity was so great it would not lose out to Yoga.

Most Christians and Western Muslims are just name-sake only. They do not practice their religion and thank goodness.

I don’t buy that. And I certainly don’t think Christianity looses out to Yoga.

Again, SD I think it’s more how it resonates with an individual. Each of us has different needs that must be met. Different personalities, cultures, lifestyles, intellect. What appeals to one doesn’t necessarily appeal to another. If a religion does not appeal to all, then it is not the “one or right religion”.

Give me your citation that 'most Christians and Western Muslims are name-sake only." What is the % and where did you get the number?

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;38746] people who are brave enough and critical enough to eventually leave. [/QUOTE]

Bravery as defined by who… you… some… even in the East… would call that cowardly… because they would see it as giving into pressure

You are saying those that stay are Cowards, is that it… interesting.

You really need to look into the Daoist philosophy of wu wei? (无为) and I have to start applying it more here myself.

You also need to understand something about the west that makes understanding the east hard for the west… the west compartmentalizes things and for many religions is separated from everything else they do as is work separate from family. To the west, in general, these are not all part of the same thing. Things done in the west generally have little to do with religion so whether Buddhist, Catholic or Hindu it would still be much the same.

And I asked this before and you never answered me, is English you first language? And I ask this because of the experience I have with my own family and at times massive misunderstandings occur due English not being the first language. Half of my families first language is Chinese and for some of them it is the only language and there are things sometimes said or read in English that are taken completely the wrong way.

Conversions to Christianity

Saul was harshly persecuting the Christians. Jesus Christ appeared to him in a vision and
converted him to Christianity. He became St. Paul. Evereybody knows about it, from the Bible

Less known is the case of Sundar Singh. He was an Indian Sikh by birth and education,
deeply involved in Hinduism and yoga practices.

Sundar Singh hated Christianity and Christians. He even burned the Bible, page by page.
Jesus Christ appeared to him in a vision and he was converted to Christianity, living the life of a saint.

You can find lots of info about it on the Internet.

http://sadhusundarsingh.homestead.com/files/story.htm

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;38748]

Give me your citation that 'most Christians and Western Muslims are name-sake only." What is the % and where did you get the number?[/QUOTE]

This guy SD never answers a direct question like that. Instead, he comes about with a long-winded reply which says exactly nothing.

I asked him a simple question: how many Indians (from India) are practising yoga ? No answer yet.

As far as I know, there are 20 million people in America involved in yoga. My figure might be wrong though, so you are welcome to correct it.

don’t buy that. And I certainly don’t think Christianity looses out to Yoga.

Again, SD I think it’s more how it resonates with an individual. Each of us has different needs that must be met. Different personalities, cultures, lifestyles, intellect. What appeals to one doesn’t necessarily appeal to another. If a religion does not appeal to all, then it is not the “one or right religion”.

Give me your citation that 'most Christians and Western Muslims are name-sake only." What is the % and where did you get the number?

Of course Christianity loses out to Yoga. If that were not true there would not have been so many fundamentalist reactions against it within the Church themselves: Christian Yoga and Praise Moves. In the UK, almost all Churches are offering Yoga classes to keep themselves running :smiley: Christianity is under a huge threat by Yoga.

Of course most Christians and Muslims are only name-sake today. They are not practicing their religion, because if they did, they would be a terror on everybody else. They would go around burning idols of other religions, burning and stoning women for sex before marriage. In fact, wherever traditional forms of these religions is still being practiced, these practices still go on. For the most part though, they just happen to be born into these religions, and assume the label of that religion by default. In fact, many Hindu people are name-sake as well, they do not practice their religion, because if they did they would all be learning philosophy, logic and science and practicing Yogic lifestyles. The truth is most Hindus today are just as debauched as their Christian and Muslim peers.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;38766]Of course Christianity loses out to Yoga. If that were not true there would not have been so many fundamentalist reactions against it within the Church themselves: Christian Yoga and Praise Moves. In the UK, almost all Churches are offering Yoga classes to keep themselves running :smiley: Christianity is under a huge threat by Yoga.

Of course most Christians and Muslims are only name-sake today. They are not practicing their religion, because if they did, they would be a terror on everybody else. They would go around burning idols of other religions, burning and stoning women for sex before marriage. In fact, wherever traditional forms of these religions is still being practiced, these practices still go on. For the most part though, they just happen to be born into these religions, and assume the label of that religion by default. In fact, many Hindu people are name-sake as well, they do not practice their religion, because if they did they would all be learning philosophy, logic and science and practicing Yogic lifestyles. The truth is most Hindus today are just as debauched as their Christian and Muslim peers.[/QUOTE]

Again you made me laugh.

You have so much to learn

Oh SD, you can be so silly. You really think they’d go around burning idols and stoning women for sex before marriage??? Today??? 2010??? Come on SD, you don’t really think so.

How many Christians and Muslims are name sakers? #'s???

Things done in the west generally have little to do with religion so whether Buddhist, Catholic or Hindu it would still be much the same.

This is completely false and it is a myth known as secularism. The West is not really secular, because it shaped by and situated in the discourse within Abrahamic religion and is based on its ideologies. It was from Abrahamic religion that the modern ideology of capitalism was spawned. Many sociologists have examined this, such as Max Weber, and have found that capitalism is nothing more than an articulation of Abrahamic religion. They have been closed allied historically. Such as wherever colonialism went Christianity and capitalism were jointly exported and went hand in hand with each other.

Abrahmic religions are really just socio-political systems of control and have no allegiance to any belief system. They change the beliefs as they go, if it is conveniant to for political reasons. They also have no problem co-opting the beliefs of others, so as long as it supports their political goals. This is why they are rife with so much hypocrisy. Capitalism is nothing more than the modern form of the Abrahamic socio-political system. The ideology is completely the same: few control the the many, all are naturally sinners and needs to be governed, everybody is kept ignorant and servile.

If you were living in a Hindu or Chinese society it would be nothing like living in secular society. The structure of society would be different, education and science would be different, philosophy and arts would be different. In a traditional Chinese society you would be living under an autocracy, and you see yourself as a duty-bound member of society who must work for the prosperity of the collective(the state) You would not be afforded the rights to free thinking or individual expression.

If you were living in a Hindu society you would be living under a spiritual society where everything is motivated by spiritual values. You would see yourself as a soul who must spiritually develop and attain the four goals of life: wealth, pleasure, duty and spiritual liberation. Thus, depending on where you are at you would start there, and be afforded certain rights and not others rights based on your caste.

If you were living in a Native American society you would be living under a naturalistic communal society where everything is motivated by nature and natural living. You would see yourself as a natural warrior, live in nature, hunt and gather etc

It is easy to assume that the way we live in the modern Western world is normal, but actually it is just one of many ways of living.

And I asked this before and you never answered me, is English you first language? And I ask this because of the experience I have with my own family and at times massive misunderstandings occur due English not being the first language. Half of my families first language is Chinese and for some of them it is the only language and there are things sometimes said or read in English that are taken completely the wrong way.

I think it is pretty clear that English is my first language. Most people compliment me on my command of the English language. It is only your English that I find hard to understand because you rarely say anything coherently and always speak in riddles.