Can a Christian be a Yogi?

Well, can he/she?

Yogi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A sculpture of a Hindu yogi in the Birla Mandir, DelhiA yogi or yogin (Sanskrit: योगी, feminine root: yogini) is a term for a male practitioner of various forms of spiritual practice. In contemporary English yogin is an alternative rendering for the word yogi. [1] Another rendering is the word Jogi (یوگی) which is mostly used to refer to wandering Sufi saints and ascetics. In Hinduism it refers to an adherent of Yoga. The word is also often used in the Buddhist context to describe Buddhist monks or a householder devoted to meditation. Chatral Rinpoche for example is a famous wandering yogi from Tibet.

The Shiva Samhita text defines the yogi as someone who knows that the entire cosmos is situated within his own body, and the Yoga-Shikha-Upanishad distinguishes two kinds of yogins: those who pierce through the “sun” (surya) by means of the various yogic techniques and those who access the door of the central conduit (sushumna-nadi) and drink the nectar.

Thanks Yulaw. But, can a non-hindu non-male be a yogi? The wiki definition vaguely suggests ‘yes’. More specifically, can a roman catholic priest be a yogi?

To be honest, I don’t know… why would a Roman Catholic Priest want to be a Yogi?

From the Wikipedia definition a non-male can’t be a yogi but can be a yogini

And if you go with the dictionary definition anyone can be a yogi

yogi - a person who practices yoga.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;40901]Thanks Yulaw. But, can a non-hindu non-male be a yogi? The wiki definition vaguely suggests ‘yes’. More specifically, can a roman catholic priest be a yogi?[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard some call Jesus a yogi. :o

I’m still trying to work this out and understand it thoroughly, but I don’t think a priest or a practicing Catholic can be a yogi, if that means embracing all of what yoga means, but I’m still not sure what that is either.

The only thing I’m fairly certain of is that any Catholic could do most of the physical part of yoga and not be in conflict with his faith.

I have a friend and colleague who concurrently identifies himself as both a yogi with a daily sadhana and a Southern Baptist minister in Houston, Texas. He is one of kind! And he offers his congregation the teachings of his church, with the contemplative focus that Yoga offers us, and finds it blends beautifully.

For myself, it is Yoga and my spiritual mentor, Mukunda Stiles, who brought aspects of Christianity back into my heart as my own, not simply as a person raised by Catholic parents. He did this through guiding my Yoga sadhana toward my inner heart; I was surprised to find it there, but felt the truth of it being a part of my spiritual life immediately.

And yes, there will likely be members here who say this or that is impossible to have in combination within one’s spiritual life, and that is fine too. It is amazing, how with some years behind you, that you realize how little validation one actually needs from others on certain points of life :slight_smile: So, I am speaking for myself only with this post, and will leave others to the same. Or not.

*nichole

Yoga is not a religion, so I think that we can be from any religions belief and practice yoga. Of course, if you deepen your yoga practice, we will be in contact with concepts like the cycle of birth of rebirth, karma, Kundalini, etc that are in some case are not part of the Christian doctrine. But we must always keep in mind there is no act of faith in yoga, there is no need to believe to these concepts, in fact, the whole thing with yoga is transformation and experiencing, we do not believe to something, but to feel it.

Of course, if you deepen your yoga practice, we will be in contact with concepts like the cycle of birth of rebirth, karma, Kundalini, etc that are in some case are not part of the Christian doctrine.

I don’t know what Kundalini is, but reincarnation is not only not a part of Christine doctrine, it is contrary to it.

These are concepts that seem to be stuck like glue to yoga and those who practice yoga, so it’s hard for someone on the outside to separate yoga from them.

But we must always keep in mind there is no act of faith in yoga, there is no need to believe to these concepts, in fact, the whole thing with yoga is transformation and experiencing, we do not believe to something, but to feel it.

I like this concept, but the reality is that whenever you go to a yoga workshop, go to an online forum such as this, or discuss yoga with those who are advanced, these concepts are discussed as if they ARE facts and matters of faith.

[QUOTE=thomas;40922]I like this concept, but the reality is that whenever you go to a yoga workshop, go to an online forum such as this, or discuss yoga with those who are advanced, these concepts are discussed as if they ARE facts and matters of faith.[/QUOTE]

thomas, this is true, but at face value only. In the Yoga is Hinduism thread, InnerAthlete had a great post where many austere gurus made it clear they do not consider the two inseparable. If a Christian is a mathematician, does that mean mathematics is Christian? Of course not.

80/20 rule: 80% of the yoga studios and practioners out there also hold India and its religions in high regard, and seek to practice and believe in those tenets. They will also try to impart this in their students, but that is a function of their own egos, not of yoga.

I have read much on yoga and philosophy. I have paid attention to many views here in this forum. I have also read and re-read the 8 limbs of yoga and there is no mention of reincarnation or other stuff. There is mention of the Divine (or God), but the reference is such that it can easily be God the Father. For me, I prefer to think of the Divine as the power that lives in me and throughout the universe.

You may not want to go to the Yoga is Hinduism thread right now. Somehow, I don’t know how, tornadoes got put into the mix. Some people!

But seriously, Flex you make a good valid point. My belief is still that Yoga is universal in its reach. As I’ve told Thomas, I do no preaching in my classes, but we do talk about all sorts of things like Hinduism, God, Buddhism, Christianity, yamas, niyamas, meditation, etc. I do my best to make it as open and comfortable as possible. But in our practice it is just yoga asana’s. Focusing on the breath and what muscles we are using and correct alignment, turning inward, visualizing and things are are yoga, but could be for anything. I don’t slant meditation or shavasana. We chant only at the Zen Center. Everyone seems happy and I have a wide mix in my classes, from Muslims to Jews to Catholics to atheists. No complaints thus far. When we talk of the Yamas and Niyamas I explain them in the context of their practice and everyday life. I see no conflict here and when I do my own personal practice, I can focus on what matters to me spiritually like Buddhism and Hinduism and to be honest, probably a sprinkle of my Catholic upbringing. But it works for me and my students.

80/20 rule: 80% of the yoga studios and practioners out there also hold India and its religions in high regard, and seek to practice and believe in those tenets. They will also try to impart this in their students, but that is a function of their own egos, not of yoga.

I think it’s 99%.

Have you met a yoga teacher who is a practicing Christian? (And not a believer in reincarnation or panthiesm).

I am reading a book about the sutras, and there seems to be much about reincarnation there, though this book is not just Patanjeli, but commentary about his writings.

At any rate, the yoga teacher has her own beliefs, and links those beliefs to her practice. She is so confident of her beliefs she will present them as facts and as something to be taken on faith. It doesn’t occur to her that anyone could believe otherwise.

This is the stumbling block for Chrisitans, and though closed-mindedness and an unwillingness to do a thorough and fair study before ruling out yoga is most unfortunate, the yoga studios and teachers themselves are mostly to blame for wedding religion to yoga, but maybe they don’t care if they turn Christians off.

[QUOTE=thomas;40936]I think it’s 99%.

Have you met a yoga teacher who is a practicing Christian? (And not a believer in reincarnation or panthiesm).

I am reading a book about the sutras, and there seems to be much about reincarnation there, though this book is not just Patanjeli, but commentary about his writings.

At any rate, the yoga teacher has her own beliefs, and links those beliefs to her practice. She is so confident of her beliefs she will present them as facts and as something to be taken on faith. It doesn’t occur to her that anyone could believe otherwise.

Not always Thomas. See my above post.

This is the stumbling block for Chrisitans, and though closed-mindedness and an unwillingness to do a thorough and fair study before ruling out yoga is most unfortunate, the yoga studios and teachers themselves are mostly to blame for wedding religion to yoga, but maybe they don’t care if they turn Christians off.

[/QUOTE]

I think many parts of yoga can be interpreted in many ways. Many things can be discussed and applied without religion attached.

But to be fair, I found a teacher who keeps all that stuff out of her practice. We never do OMs and there is never any philosophy laid on us–just the physical stuff, which is fine with me. I don’t need to discuss religion–even my own–in a yoga class. I’m not there for that. And to my surprise, I asked this teacher about her beliefs once, and she said at this time she’s more of an atheist.

It really depends on the students and the class. My students are curious and want to know. But they know I honor their beliefs and don’t preach. But discussion is good. It gets them to think. It opens such wonderful dialogue and has led to many insightful moments.

Again it all depends.

I have read much on yoga and philosophy. I have paid attention to many views here in this forum. I have also read and re-read the 8 limbs of yoga and there is no mention of reincarnation or other stuff. There is mention of the Divine (or God), but the reference is such that it can easily be God the Father. For me, I prefer to think of the Divine as the power that lives in me and throughout the universe.

Look at this forum.

There is a section just for the “spiritual aspects of yoga.” How much Christian spirituality do you see there? How much does it seem like reincarnation is the standard belief of those who practice yoga?

So there is spirituality connected to it, and though someone outside of a particular faith can be spiritual, someone who already embraces a faith does not need “yoga spirituality,” whatever that is.

Why don’t we talk about the spiritual aspects of pilates, weight lifting, running, or playing tennis?

Seems to me that nobody wants to divorce spirituality from the asanas the way it is from other physical acitivity, but the spirituality that is connected to yoga is 99% of the time one of an eastern flavor and one that would go against Christian spirituality.

In the yoga world, Christians are oddballs.

Would the inner guru appear as a jesus like figure to a christian? If the inner guru is accessable via techniques in yoga, which is true, then why is it a chinese person sees him as a pony tailed Buddha and me a bald Buddha…etc…I dont think the guru would appear the same for a christian with a person who’s lineage is steeped in Christianity…after all, the techniques are the same for everyone yet the guru is seen according to lineage…I think???

Thomas, you have a good point with all this, but it really just comes to do you care? You like yoga. It has helped you with losing weight and gaining strength. So what does it matter who thinks it is Hindu, or that it’s spiritual, or its faith in disguise. What matters most is what is in YOUR heart and mind. You’ve found a teacher who doesn’t do anything but the asanas. Thats great! Don’t worry…be happy. Great name for a song BTW.

The topic for discussion is “Can a Christian practice yoga?”

So that’s what I’m trying to determine.

My answer at this time is “yes and no.”

But I’m working on somthing that’s a little more specific.

I’m still thinking about it thomas x needs thinking about