Carrying angle

Mukunda, we spoke about this in our training, but I cannot find mention of it in any of my notes. Sorry to ask again. In the case of students who wish to do handstands, and arm balances in general, who have a carrying angle, what do you reccomend in order to perform these poses? Avoid them, use a belt, strenghten triceps??? thank you. xoxoxo, tatiana

Carrying angle varies from just few degrees up to 24 on most dramatic woman i assessed. I have an 8 degree angle myself; very few men have much. Mostly the carrying angle acts like hyperextended too. So leverage is diminished therefore strength and stamina is less. I find training method is best to do cat bows building up to 20 full motions see SYT pg. 180. Tone is needed beyond normal in triceps; latissimus is especially weakened by carrying angle so guidance in cat bow must be precise. In general when working on arm balances keeping elbows slightly bent will access appropriate muscles for the individual. Arm balances are good for women and men for different reasons so i do like to do them. I do not like use of belts as ties can make other joints stressed. In general remember to keep work in muscles and not in joints. this is special concern for arm balances. Major problems arise when you loose your muscle focus and don’t immediately stop the pose. namaste mukunda