Chakra balancing through yoga

Is the notion of chakras a spiritual one or is it a physical experience too.
In this regard I have a few questions

How do we know which chakras are active and which are not for me?
What steps need to be taken to open up the chakras?
And How do I know if I have opened up a chakra?

Thanks a lot!!

Hi aspirant,

What an inspiring name you have there!!! Welcome to the forum & thanks for posting.Alot of goodie,juicy questions you have there.

[QUOTE=aspirant;30689]Is the notion of chakras a spiritual one or is it a physical experience too.[/QUOTE]

Both.I tend to define the spiritual as including the physical.‘Spiritual’ is a term that could be a little baffling to many people;at least it was for me.I used to associate it with asceticism and denial but that maybe down to my Western brought-up perspective,associating it ,most likely, with christian monks that led fairly austere lifestyles,of course, in the middle ages,.Also an almost dogmatic confusion between religion and spirituality;yoga has shown me how you can have the latter without the former in terms of a science without being dogmatic or prescriptive.
.Chakras are felt/experienced ; they cannot yet be verified under any microscopes for e.g.Though there are numerous claims and credible research that sensitive electrical-type equipment can now detect energy currents that yogis term prana(hidden unseen life-force)

In this regard I have a few questions

How do we know which chakras are active and which are not for me?

We push the boat out if we are so inclined and begin to explore through yoga or spiritual practices.Increased vitality & energies,good health,clarity of mind ,balance etc.

What steps need to be taken to open up the chakras?

Hatha yoga which includes the shatkarmas,asana and pranayama-( usually gentle simple,rhythmic & cyclic breathing exercises done with a calm & focused mind-observing the breath,breathing deeply,slowly and fully) is the usual portal because most folk identify most with the physical body. Trying out a yoga/posture class was how i got started.Of course many folk mis-identify asanas with the totality of yoga. But there are others who arrived via meditation.(perhaps they practiced buddhism for example which in my view is separate from yoga;yoga is one thing & buddhism another)

And How do I know if I have opened up a chakra?

If you sit or lie in stillness and with awareness you will feel very subtle mild micro-currents flowing through your body and the nadis in your psychic anatomy.I would say ,Usually this is detected,i.e felt at the third-eye,forehead region, but it’s very subtle.If you get a release of blockages you may even feel slightly or very drunk or stimulated, as things are released, and a mindless state might come over you.It helps if you know what you’re loooking for.But some of the laya yoga techniques which involve focusing on the sensations around those psycho-energetic centres of Consciousness in a sense involve waking up nodes within the human nervous system which comes in on the act.If you use a combination of tested techniques you get the best results.

I’m currently following a system documented in a book called ‘Kundalini Tantra’ by the bihar/satyanada school of yoga .A good place to start however if you are just starting out is to try out an excellent system called AYP,which stands for ‘Advanced Yoga Practices’; it basically providse you with a very sound & thorough education and training in some of the principles and main techniques involved in a tantric sadhana using a full-scope yoga system. It is a great place to begin the journey- you can start just by reading their Main Lessons-( I would direct you therefore to lesson 13-see www.aypsite.org for more info)The lessons are free and encourage you to become an independent practitioner using 'self-pacing ’ and ‘self-directed’ practice.This provides you with a very sound foundation for real authentic yoga so don’t be fooled by imposters,( hahaha-Could the real yoga please stand up?–only kidding!) or dilutions of the real thing.They also teach about all the limbs too and educate you about theory such as the concept of ‘kundalini’ and many other thing,s and how to integrate all the elements of a complete and balanced sadhana which includes pranayama & meditation & relaxation ,not just asana. The claim that one cannot learn anything online is neither practical and simply nonsense.That website i refer you to also has a support forum to boot for those that don’t live at the lotus feet of gurus.

I would say the biggest thing holding people back is a probably willngnes often to try something out and at least stick with it long enough to determinie whether it is for you, if you are so inclined.There really is nothing to lose once you start dipping your feet in yoga;it is so rich ,and rewarding.

Thanks a lot!!

You’re welcome!

Thanks core789 for a wealth of information.

I am a firm believer in yoga and have been practicing it one form or the other for 6/7 years now. Though it started off as a stretching exercise to
prevent injuries in sport, I started learning the asanas and could see the benefits to health. Then I learnt to associate breathing with asanas and have been doing some pranayama. Now I see it as a way of life /guide to lead a balanced life and to be able to reach my full potential. In this quest, I am reading more about and trying to understand better the philosophy and experience for myself the more subtle but powerful aspects of yoga.

Thanks!!

Balancing the chakras through yoga involves using specific yoga practices, including asanas (postures), pranayama (breathwork), meditation, and visualization techniques, to harmonize and activate the subtle energy centers of the body. Here's a guide for beginners and experienced practitioners on how to balance the chakras through yoga:

For Beginners:

1. Root Chakra (Muladhara):

• Asanas: Practice grounding poses such as Tadasana (Mountain Pose), Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I), and Malasana (Garland Pose) to connect with the earth element and promote stability and security.
    • Breathwork: Practice deep, slow belly breathing to activate the root chakra and cultivate a sense of grounding and stability.
    • Meditation: Visualize a red glowing light at the base of the spine, representing the root chakra. Imagine roots extending from your tailbone down into the earth, grounding you to the earth's energy.
  2. Sacral Chakra (Svadhishthana):

• Asanas: Practice hip-opening poses such as Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose), Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose), and Anjaneyasana (Low Lunge Pose) to stimulate the sacral chakra and promote creativity and sensuality.
    • Breathwork: Practice pelvic floor exercises and focus on the movement of breath in the lower abdomen to activate the sacral chakra and enhance emotional balance.
    • Meditation: Visualize an orange swirling light in the lower abdomen, representing the sacral chakra. Imagine waves of creativity and emotional fluidity flowing through you.
  3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura):

• Asanas: Practice core-strengthening poses such as Navasana (Boat Pose), Utkatasana (Chair Pose), and Ardha Navasana (Half Boat Pose) to activate the solar plexus chakra and build confidence and willpower.
    • Breathwork: Practice Kapalabhati (Skull-Shining Breath) and Ujjayi Pranayama (Victorious Breath) to stimulate the solar plexus chakra and enhance energy and vitality.
    • Meditation: Visualize a yellow glowing light at the solar plexus, representing the solar plexus chakra. Imagine a strong, radiant fire burning within you, fueling your confidence and empowerment.
  4. Heart Chakra (Anahata):

• Asanas: Practice heart-opening poses such as Ustrasana (Camel Pose), Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), and Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose) to activate the heart chakra and cultivate love and compassion.
    • Breathwork: Practice Pranayama techniques such as Anulom Vilom (Alternate Nostril Breathing) and Bhramari (Bee Breath) to open the heart chakra and promote emotional balance and connection.
    • Meditation: Visualize a green glowing light in the center of the chest, representing the heart chakra. Imagine a warm, expansive feeling of love and compassion radiating from your heart.
  5. Throat Chakra (Vishuddha):

• Asanas: Practice poses that open the throat and neck, such as Matsyasana (Fish Pose), Halasana (Plow Pose), and Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand Pose), to stimulate the throat chakra and enhance communication and expression.
    • Breathwork: Practice deep, slow breathing focusing on the throat area to activate the throat chakra and promote clear communication and self-expression.
    • Meditation: Visualize a blue spinning vortex of energy at the throat, representing the throat chakra. Imagine speaking your truth with confidence and authenticity, allowing your voice to be heard.
  6. Third Eye Chakra (Ajna):

• Asanas: Practice forward folds and inversions such as Balasana (Child's Pose), Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend), and Shirshasana (Headstand Pose) to activate the third eye chakra and enhance intuition and insight.
    • Breathwork: Practice Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breathing) and Brahmari (Bee Breath) to balance the energy in the third eye chakra and promote mental clarity and intuition.
    • Meditation: Visualize a deep indigo light between the eyebrows, representing the third eye chakra. Imagine a sense of inner knowing and clarity, allowing you to trust your intuition and inner wisdom.
  7. Crown Chakra (Sahasrara):

• Asanas: Practice seated meditation poses such as Padmasana (Lotus Pose) and Savasana (Corpse Pose) to activate the crown chakra and promote connection to higher consciousness.
    • Breathwork: Practice deep, slow breathing focusing on the crown of the head to awaken the crown chakra and facilitate spiritual awakening and enlightenment.
    • Meditation: Visualize a radiant violet light at the crown of the head, representing the crown chakra. Imagine merging with the universal consciousness, experiencing a sense of oneness and unity with all that is.

For Experienced Practitioners:

Experienced practitioners can deepen their chakra balancing practice by incorporating advanced asanas, pranayama techniques, and meditation practices that specifically target each chakra. They can also explore more subtle practices such as mantra chanting, visualization, and energy work to enhance their awareness and connection to the chakras.

Additionally, experienced practitioners may benefit from working with a qualified yoga teacher or energy healer who can provide personalized guidance, support, and feedback to help them deepen their chakra balancing practice and navigate any challenges or obstacles that arise along the way.

Overall, whether you're a beginner or an experienced practitioner, incorporating yoga practices that focus on balancing the chakras can help promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being, as well as spiritual growth and self-awareness. Remember to approach your practice with an open heart and mind, and honor your unique journey of self-discovery and transformation.