Confused : The aim of meditation

[QUOTE=bjoy;55940]there are multi planes in every dimension. after nirvichar, The real game starts, infinity. just drink the nectar. no one tells you any thing, you are completely alone and in Brahmaanand.

its up to us how to take the reality behind the custom of rituals.

aum[/QUOTE]

i see.

The meditation is a state of mind. Rishi Patanjali has written before 2000 years in the Yogasutras the following sloka:

tatra pratyaya-ekatānatā dhyānam

The meaning of the sloka is - “meditation is when the thought flow uninterruptedly with one single object”. This means you cannot actually meditate, but practice a technique of yoga-meditation, which involves concentration and pranayama and wait patiently for the meditation to emerge from within.

Classical Astanga-Yoga in Munich
Hatha-Yoga courses

“The aim of meditaion is to go beyond the mind.”, Sri Paramapadma Dhirananda

Classical Astanga-Yoga
Hatha-Yoga courses

[QUOTE=Bentinho Massaro;26589]The aim of meditation is to realize who is doing the meditating.
[/QUOTE]

As uninteresting as it sounds, that pretty much sums up meditation. The realization, as fleeting as it can be, is one joyous paradigm shift in thinking.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;26590]

Sri Aurobindo writes that G-d didn’t [I]create[/I] the Universe. G-d [I]became[/I] the Universe. In this way all things are G-d and she/he is not a salvation from a “hell” defined by human intellect. Rather it is a Divine source of which we are all part when we make that choice to connect back to the common thread - the soul within.

The meditation of Aurobindo thus is one that acknowledges everything is light and we as human beings, in order to transform ourselves to the next level of humanity, must bring more light into the physical form so that we can radiate that light on the planet - not levitate above it in the ether gazing down upon the sufferings of others.

[/QUOTE]

It took me more than a decade to arrive believing the truth of what you shared here. I wonder what it will take to realize it.

To the OP. Do not force meditation. Love it. Find a form that you can love. The love you will have for it, will refine it. Indeed. Believe what you like, but do that with a passion. Because your thirst for knowledge is the one steady thing that will always bring you forward.

[QUOTE=Psa1mist9;28561]Correct me if im wrong… but doesnt meditation stimulate your your crown chakra (where your higher self (GOD) Dwells?

[/QUOTE]

How can something of a lower order stimulate something of a higher order …
It is rather the higher Self what works through the crown chakra, down to the lower aspects of our being. What we do is we make room for that to happen.

charliedharma,

“what about the Brahma viharas ? what about developing samahdi , do you not think that these might not have some intention ?”

I do not know what the Brahma viharas are, I am not educated in scriptures. But samadhi is always something is and always has been discovered spontaneously - and that is the nature of all discovery - it arrives without expectation, without invitation, and without any warning. If there has ever been something said of samadhi, it is just for the sake of a scientific documentation - it is not something which you are to cling to - as long as one is involved in sadhana with an attachment to an outcome, rather than liberating you, the sadhana will only help re-enforce your programming.

"dont you think some folk might get along better with a little structure ? a little focus on the breath perhaps, a little hatha yoga, a little study , maybe so they can get to a place of sitting for the delight of sitting , free from trying to do anything. "

Yes, but the question is, can you become involved in action without being a slave to action ? There is a reason why a man like Gautama Buddha had said, that what is needed is not just effort, but “right effort”.

“ultimately maybe there is no purpose , maybe I have been wasting my time but I definately moved from a place of great suffering to one of less suffering using brahma viharas , mindfulness of breath and other meditations with intention”

That is good. But if that is really the case, then by now, you would be aware that even to live with less sufferings is not enough. It seems to be the case that the mind and body are not going to be capable of any kind of contentment until you come to a direct perception of your true nature, and learn of how to integrate this awareness so that you can remain in an ongoing communion with the source of your own existence.