Contracting the pelvic muscles when exhaling in seated meditation

hi all,

I have the following questionn:

I have noticed that i contract my pelvic muscles when i do seated meditation breathing to the chest

When I inhale it is ok, but when i exhale I feel i contract both my abdominal muscles and pelvic muscles.
Contracting the pelvic muscles is something that you do when you are not relaxed…

So, i feel that i have to do 3 stages:
1 Inhale to the chest
2 exhale with the pelvic and abdominal muscles contraction
3 release the above contraction of to go to normal state and start next cycle

do you get me?
Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Meditation is concentration on one thought. Making the mind one pointed. The breathing would normally remain very subdued.

Mula bandha
Cheers love

Could you please explain me little bit more about Mula Bandha?

This a called Bhahya pranayam…which is very useful in changing the direction of vital life force upwards. The benefits are tremendous but its better to learn it from a trained Guru. It comprises of Jalandar bandh(lock) - exhaling from lungs with force and locking thoracic region by bringing chin towards neck, then uddiyan bandh- forcing stomach towards spinal cord and 3rd moolbandh- lifting ur pelvic muscles upwards . After being in this state according to ur capacity beathe in opening jalandhar, uddiyan and moolbandh one by one.

Please consult your guru before trying it…its just an explanation !!

Meditation is concentration of the mind on one thought. What has been described above is Pranayam- a prelim process for calming the mind before one begins meditation. During meditation the breath slows down as does the mind. The body is still and the mind is focused either on the thought or on the breath.
Mula banda etc practices will take away from the depth of the concentration.

That is absolutely correct! At deeper level this practise of pranayam is to keep mind still to connect to higher consciousness .

[QUOTE=pgames;83050]hi all,

So, i feel that i have to do 3 stages:
1 Inhale to the chest
2 exhale with the pelvic and abdominal muscles contraction
3 release the above contraction of to go to normal state and start next cycle

do you get me?
Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

so what is bothering you?

contraction of pelvic floor is udiana or mulabandha, depends on to what extend you contract the pelvis and abdomen.

breathing in to the chest can be a part of one pranayama, but if you are talking about abldominal breathing than you breath “in to the belly” and gently tuck the belly back on the exhale, without contracting pelvic mscles. (unless you are practicing mula BH)

Thanks for your answers and help,

CityMonk, that is exactly the problem.

I should not contract the pelvic floor when I do chest breathing, but I just cannot stop it. I am not intending to do mulabandha.

I am getting into the root of the problem. I have very tight pelvic floor muscles, with too much tension in the muscles as a result of that.
The pelvic floor is connected to many nerves and muscles, like the abdominal muscles, and I don’t seem to be able to work on one part without pulling from the other.
I have to learn to relax or extend that part of my body. All practices that contract the abdomen, like mulabandha, are not good for me.

Thanks