Daily time devoted to pranayam

Hi

a question for people who do pranayam daily. how much time do you
devote for pranayam ?

thanks
newton

Hi Newton,

I do kapalabhati and anuloma viloma before asanas daily and I spend about 5 mins on each so ten in total.

Jen

Hi Jen , thanks . I do simple alternate breathing for half an hour daily.

what about other people ?

I have a mindfulness bell on my phone that chimes every hour, and I do
(3) Three part Breaths.

10 minutes or so of Kumbhak - if even that. Helps keep the lungs loosy goosey. I do it with bandha sometimes and combine gentle bellows with in and out the left and right. In the left out the right - gentle bellows - in the right - hold - out the left - gentle bellows - and so on.

Pranayam though? for pretty much the entirety of practice so somewhere between 1 and 8 hours a day.

I’ll put the rest of my schtick in my thread. When I get lots more posts in my thread.

That thread being “share your practice” no sharing from you - no sharing from me.

Dig?

I want lots of posts. In that thread. When it gets up to at LEAST twenty five posts then I will share some eye popping mind blowing skull duggery.

Hi Scales

You spend between 1 and 8 hours a day for pranayam ? That’s a lot.
How do you find so much time ?

I have already shared what I do. I do simple alternate breathing for 30 min per day…

It seems not many people here do pranayam since there are so few responses.

I practise asanas with ujjayai and a breath ratio, often 6.3.6.3 but it depends. Else I usually do seated pranayama with jalandhara bandha. Prepared pranayama by asanas + bandhas + half-open nostril in some pranayama techniques can reduce the needed time spent for a “wanted” effect. And the duration is often between 5 and 10 minutes in the end and often at the beginning of an asana practice. So it depends, I have rarely two practices on the mat identical, I always adapt.

Philippe

merci for sharing monsieur philippe*

[QUOTE=issacnewton;62766]Hi Scales

You spend between 1 and 8 hours a day for pranayam ? That’s a lot.
How do you find so much time ?

[/QUOTE]

8 hours is near the upper limits. It’s a rarity. If it happens it’s usually on Sundays or an off day. Maybe once or twice a month maybe more - just depends. Usually it’s somewhere between an hour or four.

The amount of time devoted to pranayama practice each day can vary depending on individual preferences, goals, and lifestyle factors. However, establishing a consistent daily pranayama practice can offer numerous benefits for physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Here are some general guidelines for the daily time devoted to pranayama:

1. Start with Short Sessions: If you're new to pranayama practice, begin with short sessions of 5-10 minutes per day. This allows you to gradually build your practice and become familiar with different pranayama techniques.

2. Increase Duration Gradually: As you become more comfortable with pranayama and develop greater proficiency, you can gradually increase the duration of your practice. Aim to gradually extend your practice to 15-30 minutes per day or longer if desired.

3. Quality Over Quantity: Focus on the quality of your pranayama practice rather than the quantity of time spent. It's more beneficial to practice pranayama mindfully and attentively for a shorter duration than to rush through a longer session without proper focus and awareness.

4. Consistency is Key: Consistency is essential for reaping the full benefits of pranayama practice. Aim to practice pranayama daily, even if it's just for a few minutes. Regular practice helps establish a rhythm and allows you to experience the cumulative benefits over time.

5. Integrate into Routine: Find a time of day that works best for you to incorporate pranayama into your daily routine. Many people prefer to practice pranayama in the morning upon waking or in the evening before bed as part of their daily self-care routine. Choose a time when you can dedicate your full attention to your practice without distractions.

6. Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to how your body and mind respond to your pranayama practice. If you feel fatigued or overwhelmed, it's okay to shorten your practice or take a break. Listen to your body's signals and adjust your practice accordingly.

7. Seek Guidance: If you're unsure about how much time to devote to pranayama or which techniques to practice, consider seeking guidance from a qualified yoga teacher or instructor. They can provide personalized recommendations based on your individual needs, goals, and abilities.

Ultimately, the ideal duration of daily pranayama practice varies for each individual and may change over time. The key is to establish a consistent routine that feels sustainable and supportive of your overall health and well-being.