Dangers of Chakra meditation?

Ok so after having a couple traumatic experiences some months ago I’ve just felt “off” internally for lack of a better word. I was thinking maybe some type of Chakra meditation may help to get things flowing right again.

But, I’m an EXTREME beginner and have never done any sort of chakra meditation…I’ve read here and there about kundalini syndrome and since I would be doing this without a teacher or any real guidance other than the internet I was a little concerned, I don’t wanna make my problems worse. Have any of you experienced kundalini problems?? Is something like that very common.

run a good 5 miles or swim and do simple yoga exercises, breathing exercises to begin with… :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ve heard of people who have practiced yoga for years run into serious health issues due to kundalini techniques. Better just do normal exercises than go for amateur advice or try something not presented fully (in a book or online)…

In my opinion, there is NOTHING negative about ANY of the experiences these people are having. It’s part of the process. The issue is that we have a tremendous amount of “teachers” who are nowhere near experienced enough to help guide their students through these experiences. Instead, they instill fear and “syndromes” which is the exact opposite of what the student needs. Students used to work closely with gurus who acted as psychiatrist, guide, shaman, and more. Now we work with someone who spent two weeks at a retreat in Mexico.

The buzz-phrase we so often hear these days is, “You need to work THROUGH it” but then when the student is knee deep in exactly that, “SOMETHING IS WRONG OMG PANIC!” It’s like telling a student who is scared of spiders that they should go into a tank full of spiders and then freaking out when one gets on their shoulder.

If you go deep enough, you WILL face some pretty difficult stuff. Should you avoid starting your practice because of this? No. But if you’re serious about going within, begin your search for a teacher who truly can guide you if/when you need help. It’s an amazing, never ending journey.

Do your preliminary work. Focus on the energy coming down from Sahasrara first. You can stay with this for a long time and get great results. Do your deep breathing until you find that you can easily calm yourself when needed. See if you can calm yourself when anxiety strikes you in a public crowd. Practice this often and you will have a tool in your arsenal that will become very useful if things go ‘wrong.’

When you are ready to move energy from the Muladhara up, take it in steps up one chakra, down one chakra, up two, down one, etc. while breathing slowly in and out. This is also a safe preliminary exercise. Get up and look out a window or do some dishes. Casually move into a conversation with friends. Don’t let it be a big deal, make it all feel natural.

There are not many good teachers out there. Try the Sivananda book on Kundalini Yoga. If you are really serious, consider traveling to India. Don’t join any ‘Kundalini Yoga’ group. Find a teacher who will impart it to you one on one.

I’ve found recently that postures like Halasana are really activating a warm, sensual feeling in the area of the first Chakra. I didn’t initially assign this directly to something going on with the Chakra’s, but recently I’ve become far more engaged in real, world affairs; taking an interest in global politics, wanting to become an activist in causes that I feel passionate about, etc, and I can only think it’s because I’ve been changing something in my first Chakra. My awakened interest’s are very physical and terrestrial you see. These changes are from asana practice only (although I do meditate; not chakra meditation, I practice zazen) Also, the other day during savasana I had a complete body-mind absorption, coupled with a complete transcendence of ego; indeed, the only sensation of any kind - mental or physical - I had was a sort of cool, still energy located in the area where the crown chakra is said to be. I guess if your frightened of chakra mediation, pranyanna, kundalini or anything else that comes with the cautions and reported dangers these practices do then why not stick to asana? Asana - at least in my case - has proved, and is continuing to prove, to be a very effective tool at working on the so-called more esoteric elements of Yoga that are often resigned to practices like Chakra meditation.