Day One of TT to me means

Hey Everyone,

One of the first lessons that was set into my 200 hour tt was align, stabilize, elongate. If that is day one of training a teacher than perhaps that means it is a good first lesson to work on in group classes.

The way I try to work this into class is by giving a three point cue with the a,s,e words mixed in. By this I mean I would mention stabilizing from the root, aligning particularly at the hips, and then using the arms to create length through the whole system.

What is something you’ve started to teach that now feels like old hat?

We were told to teach from the feet up, i find this helps and is like second nature now

It’s been a while since I’ve poked around this forum… and I’ve never been a big poster anywhere. But I’m considering getting back into teaching yoga after a sabbatical spurred on by the influx of poorly trained teachers.

I like both of your suggestions… but I would add that as Yama and Niyama come before Asana in the sutras that perhaps they should be incorporated right away into the teaching. The asana that brings people to classes is, for western society, the hook. But it is such a small part of yoga.

How about relating the yamas to teaching from the feet up (i.e. build a foundation) or the niyamas to align, stabilize and elongate (i.e. your relationship with yourself)?

I wish you both the best in your teaching. Carry the flame.