Diastasis recti

I worked with a young woman today who is 35 years old. After two pregnancies, she remains with diastasis recti. She usually practices Ashtanga yoga and comes to me occasionally with her mother who is my regular client. When this occurs during pregnancy, the suggestion is to support the abdominal muscles with the hands, and do gentle head raises on the exhale. How does one work with this several years post partum? Are twists and lateral flexion contraindicated?

Namaste, E

First question to ask is if this is a problem for her? You did not mention her having any discomfort. If she isn’t broke then there is nothing to fix. It usually looks funny and may be of cosmetic concern for that just tone the muscles as you would normal bodies. If she is in pain then something else can be done. The only practices that would be contraindicated would be wheel, straight-arm cobra, and other full back bends that have the potential to stretch the rectus abdominis.

Dear Mukunda,

I found an interesting article on the net regarding this condition and exercize recommended for it.

The suprise to me was that the exercize sounds so much like Agni Sar Dhouti. Could you comment on the benefits of this kriya practice physically and energetically? Could you comment on recommended levels of practice for cultivation of Shakti?

Namaste,
Chandra

Thank you for notifying me of this procedure. It is unlike uddiyana bandha (stomach lock) and agnisar dhouti (cleansing the digestive fire) . Both of these yoga techniques are done with breath retention (kumbhaka), while this method is done with regular breathing. To clarify, agnisar dhouti is a variation of the classical hatha yoga method called six cleansing actions (shatkarma kriyas). It is done by exhaling and pausing the breath for a naturally comfortable period. While retention is done then the middle abdomen is pulled in and relaxed repetively to one’s capacity. With a resolution to increase the agni and visualization on the fire getting hotter it increased digestive strength thus lessening appetite and in some cases may assist in weight loss.

As a progression from this stage one can practice Uddiyana bandha, done with a continuous pull backward and upward to lift the lower ribs and widen then through the control of the diaphragm.  It is an exercise for heart muscle and for diaphragm stamina.  The next step would be to do bastrika pranayama, done by strong abdominal contractions with each exhalation.  When given by an experienced teacher initated into Shaktipat or Tantrik meditation, it can be used to increase shakti kundalini.  
  Shakti is most increased by intention, devotion, and improved concentration.  It is the energy of the Divine within the human body and with practice is seen to be in all of Her creation.  Primarily it is increased by regular sadhana and drawing Her to you in whatever form you experience Her most - as a flower, energy of prana, a specific deity, or from being in the company of your teacher.
 In the case of this practice agnisar can be increased to cycles of 30 pumps interspersed with 3-6 rounds of ujjaye pranayama.  The number is to be gradually increased to 9 rounds though the intention is to find the Shakti as you do the practice.  In this manner Shakti can be found sooner so less rounds are needed.  In advanced practice less technique is needed and more direct experience is coming thus producing a naturally arising meditative state.  With time the state becomes how you experience the world, you walk eat and sleep in meditation experiencing the Shakti all the time.  When the experience passes then sadhana is appropriate.  Just as when we take a trip we get out of the car when we arrive at our destination.  In the same way no method is needed when we arrive at our true home as Shakti.

Chandra,

I was very interested to find this topic on the forum (Ijust joined and am very happy to be here).

You mentioned an article related to this subject and the link no longer appears to be working. I realise it was some time ago that this discussion took place, but I wondered if you remembered any of the details, or the specific name of the excercise that you said reminded you of agnisar dhouti, so perhaps I can look it up elsewhere. It wasnt clear to me whether the response that Mukunda gave was a description of agnisar dhouti , or the excercise mentioned in the article.

Thank you from an abdominal diastisis-er!

Dear Bonnie,

The article which I referred to was not on our forum, but a set of exercizes I found on a separate web site. It was similar to yogic practices but did not include the pranayama or intention which directs the focus of the yogic forms.

Mukunda’s descriptions are specifically descriptions of the yogic practices of uddiyana bhanda, agni sar dhouti, bhastrika and the cultivation of Shakti as the intention of practice. Instruction as to how to perform these practices is best done in person with an experienced teacher.

Namaste,
Chandra