Dietary Supplements

Hi Everyone,

I unfortunately do not know as many yogi’s/yogini’s as I would like to but from what I have seen I would say that most of us are healthy eaters. With a light breakfast I imbibe a serving of each of the following in 2% milk

Muscle Milk
Gingko Leaf
Spanish Bee Pollen
Wheatgrass

I also take a multivitamin and recently purchased pill form royal jelly.

Do you supplement your diet with anything interesting?

I have been fascinated by bee's ever since one landed on me on a sunny day in lotus pose. Muscle milk is w/e but it makes for a good base powder for taste and thickness.

I tend to steer clear of protein supplements (specifically whey) for three basic reasons. The first is that it is cow’s milk protein (20%) and I tend to avoid such things because a) cows are fed all sorts of things other than grass, b) dairy products tend to lead to excessive mucous production, and c) I suspect they are complicit in inflammation.

Second, there is the concept of agni or digestive fire which can, in many people, be like an ember of a fire. When a full throttle of logs is tossed onto an ember it is often extinguished leading to digestive issues. This is especially applicable in the morning after waking.

Third, there seems to be some connection (perhaps more) between reduced or obstructed bile flow through the liver (cholestatic liver injury) as a result of the organ having to work to process excess protein and amino acids.

As if this weren’t enough I prefer to be able to find out something about the supplements like who’s actually making them, what processes they are using in production, and in what concentrations, not to mention their corporate behavior patterns. Many supplements are poorly formulated and are produced by a single company then branded for the brick and mortar operations. You can often see the phrase "produced and bottled for (merchant name). It is not their formula, their product, their manufacturing.

I do believe that we’ve tainted our food, air, and water supply over the last 70 years to the point where quality supplementation is necessary, however I prefer to do that through food-grade herbs whenever possible.

I take too many things to list but it includes neem, supercritical turmeric and several products from the sunrider line. Since we don’t see the sun but seven weeks a year here in Seattle I take several thousand IU’s of Vitamin D. And since I’ve had a round or two of antibiotics in my lifetime I take probiotics.

I will finish the container of muscle milk that I have no and then do away with protein shakes. Thank you for your addvice. I have already picked up a dropper of neem and will look into the turmeric more. I am in so cal where we see a lot of sun so fortunately I do not think vitamin d supplements will be necessary for m. I do wonder though if there is an equation to find out how much vitamin d you produce with x amount of exposure and time.

What is the difference between supercritical tumeric and tumeric? I’ve been taking tumeric for its anti inflammatory properties and you have me curious.

google it.

I have yet to turn up anything by googling the two. Is supercritical just a more concentrated version of turmeric?

I will take your first advice tomorrow morning and ask an instructor :slight_smile:

I’m new to these forums, but must reply to this one. I’ve been taking herbal supplements my whole life and have tried many and am very serious about my nutrition.
I take a multi vitamin antioxidant blend, Green Vibrance, B complex, C complex, grape seed extract, and ofcourse green tea. The Green Vibrance is by far the best supplement available in my opinion. It has all your greens, algaes, grasses, immune support, D3, enzymes, ginkgo, probiotics, etc. in one scoop and will save you money on supps. All organic and GMO free. Also keeps your ph alkaline which is very important for vitamin and mineral absorbtion rates. You will notice it right away. If I ever get any stomach issue/poisoning or whatever, this stuff will wipe it out immediately.
Vitamins like B and C are water soluble and are not stored by the body. They are excreted with sweat and urine so must be replenished daily especially if you’re sweating.
I drink Yogi organic green tea and a few others. Green tea will give you a “focused boost” with the small effects of the caffeine and the calming effects of theanine. It will keep you young and when you’re done with the teabag put some on your face and rub it in. Also will keep your body alkaline.
If you continue to take Muscle Milk, they have a Muscle Milk Naturals that uses no dyes, or toxic sweeteners.
Turmeric works good, if manufactured properly…but works better WITH Bromelain for injuries and inflammation. Ginger tea works great also.

Happy Health
                                   Greentea

http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html

I take whey protein, cause I’m a very active person, and it’s hard to eat enough protein for a good recovery. I take zinc, flaxseed oil, and creatine. Creatine works very well for me. I have noticed massive increases in strength and endurance. I’m thinking of adding one of those alkalizing green drinks to keep my body from becoming too acidic. I try to keep supplements minimal, and I avoid any supplements that don’t seem to do anything. I have this girl at work who takes all sorts of herbs, and drops, and teas and stuff. When I ask her what each one does she says "this is suppose to… ". As far as I’m concerned, If the answer is "this is suppose to… ", I don’t bother wasting my hard earned cash on it. My philosophy with supplementation is keep it simple and effective.

GreenTeamfr, do you have any ties to the green vibrance product other then as a consumer? You have peaked my curiosity.

InnerAthlete you are consistently awesome, thank you.

YogiAdam, I thought creatine was one hundred over one hundred bad for you? I knew a guy in bootcamp that was all circular because of his creatine use. Was that just irresponsible doses or…? “This is supposed to,” makes a lot of sense. I have just started on the Neem, Gingko leaf, Neem leaf, and will possibly be making the Green Vibrance purchase along with the supercritical Turmeric. I’m sure for many of those I will have a feel for their affects within a two week period.

I’ve been thinking about starting on some superfood supplements and possibly and herbal detox program from a doctor that a friend recommended to me. One of the interesting things about this guy is that he uses a completely different extraction process. He claims that this process makes his preparations more potent, and they come highly recommended to me. I was wondering if anybody else has any experience with the herbdoc.

RD,

I’d like to add that if you are using “feeling” as a methodology to vet your nutritional intake, and that intake is “supplements”, adding only one thing at a time, rather than going whole-hog, makes that process more focused and therefore more telling. But you may be different. We all are

[QUOTE=Rdlagrand;52221]…I have just started on the Neem, Gingko leaf, Neem leaf, and will possibly be making the Green Vibrance purchase along with the supercritical Turmeric. I’m sure for many of those I will have a feel for their affects within a two week period.[/QUOTE]

Only a consumer just trying to give you a straight up honest opinion. They sell single pack servings at whole foods if you want to try it first. Start off 1/4 scoop and work your way up if you choose. Some people are sensitive to the probiotics, so important to start low. Also with anything its a good idea to give it a break after a while and flush the body. Please research any herb you put into your body. Some mess with hormones. Yikes! Although it tastes like gutter sewage water, the green vibrance works for me. I’ve tried many green drinks and nothing comes close. The spirulina in it alone has tons of nutrients and they’re always coming out with updated versions to improve it. Take it like a shot or mix w/ apple juice. Make sure to store in freezer. Don’t take with antibiotics or milk. Hope I helped. Take care and happy health.

[QUOTE=Rdlagrand;52221]YogiAdam, I thought creatine was one hundred over one hundred bad for you? I knew a guy in bootcamp that was all circular because of his creatine use. Was that just irresponsible doses or…? [/QUOTE]

I have a feeling people think creatine is bad because it actually does something lol… It’s like “wow, I’m so much stronger and can last longer since I started taking creatine… effective=bad”, then you get people rubbing lavender oil on their temples and drinking chamomile tea and going “I’m not sure if it’s doing anything, I think I might feel a bit more relaxed… no effect=safe” That’s my theory anyway. It’s like if it works so well, it must be too good to be true.

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;52265]I have a feeling people think creatine is bad because it actually does something lol… It’s like “wow, I’m so much stronger and can last longer since I started taking creatine… effective=bad”, then you get people rubbing lavender oil on their temples and drinking chamomile tea and going “I’m not sure if it’s doing anything, I think I might feel a bit more relaxed… no effect=safe” That’s my theory anyway. It’s like if it works so well, it must be too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

Yogiadam- I tried creatine several years ago and did not get any noticeable results. I swtched brands and tried again, but nothing. Could it be an individual thing?

Thanks GreenTeaMfr, I was thinking about getting the 60 day supply on amazon ($48US) but I think I will definitely explore a few single serving packets first.

Existing only as a thought atm here is my revised daily regimine.

Neem (would supercritical weaken my immune system?) (Neem Leaf acquired)
Supercritical Turmeric (last on my list of purchases)
Green Vibrance
Bee Pollen (acquired)
Tattva Herbs: Male Shakti (description states that this contains Tribulus/Muira Puama/Ashwagandha/Mucuna/Shilajit and more) I believe these are all supercritical.

Does anyone know if there is a flip side to how awesome supercritical products sound? I do not want to overload my body but I will take any performance boost I can get. You only get out of your body what you put in it after all.

I will also admit that the male shakti had me sold with its name. I googled the listed ingredients and liked what I saw but yes.

No problem. Please be careful with those male formulas. Tribulus is a well known herbal test booster and can have unwanted side effects to some. Let me know how it works though, sounds good. Take care and good luck.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;52254]RD,

I’d like to add that if you are using “feeling” as a methodology to vet your nutritional intake, and that intake is “supplements”, adding only one thing at a time, rather than going whole-hog, makes that process more focused and therefore more telling. But you may be different. We all are[/QUOTE]

Fortunately my budget will make it so that I have to obtain these one by one this time, however that is not something I considered so thank you.

[QUOTE=GreenTeaMfr;52445]No problem. Please be careful with those male formulas. Tribulus is a well known herbal test booster and can have unwanted side effects to some. Let me know how it works though, sounds good. Take care and good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will.

Do not trust supplements (mass produced, commercial ones)
Never bought one
Never advised anyone to take mass produced commercial supplements
Everything is in the food

My parents and grand parents never used any vitamins. 85 yo happy and healthy :slight_smile:

lots of new researches liked supplements use to cancer