Difficult breathing

A student, age 59, overweight, very dedicated yogini (comes to class 3x/wk, does daily meditation & yoga almost daily; studies sutras; really has made yoga a major part of her life), is having difficulty with breathing in general, and especially during pranayama practice (which she loves) and chanting. She runs out of breath quickly, and needs to take breaths frequently. She says that she can’t get enough air. There is no history of asthma or heart disease.

I have given her Wave Breath and chanting as two pranayamas to do daily, and she also does Nadi Shodhana (Alternate Nostril Breath). Have also taught her how to use her intercostal and abdominal muscles to make the most of her exhalation. In last night’s class, I taught a pranayama (to the whole class) that involves progressively lengthening the exhalation, then, if comfortable for the students, introducing pauses of 2-4 ‘beats’ (I use a metronome). She said she could have held her breath for longer (which I did not recommend for her because I observed that it shortened her inhalation even more) … instead, I instructed her to work on the exhalation more.

Despite regular pranayama practice, she feels that she is not making progress – and I have observed that her breathing is still belabored, for example when she ties her sneakers, or bends forward, but even when she is sitting in meditation posture. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Blessings, Hamsa

If she has no history of respiratory difficulty I would want to know if she has trouble with climbing or strong exertions. If so then perhaps she has not been diagnosed yet with something pending. If the difficulty is minor and only occurs during yoga and chanting then I would suggest the use of mudra to open her lungs. One mudra that may help is Jyesththa Prana Nadi Mudra from Richard Miller?s article on mudra. (www.nondual.com) He is a senior teacher in the Desikachar lineage. It is done by placing the thumbs into the base of the little fingers and wrapping the other four fingers around the thumbs with steady pressure. the hands are placed palm side downward on the thighs.

A variation is done with the palm side upward and the knuckles together in the lap. This is called Poorna Prana Nadi Mudra. Have her do both and see if either or both assist in providing more air to her lungs.