Do New Students Feel Your Studio Is Like A Gym?

[B]Page 2.

There are many aspects of these elements that work synergistically together, and some that are not obvious.[/B] You don?t need to understand the theory behind the driving business model ? just know that it works.

[B]But, Build it and they WILL NOT come.[/B] Most of you know this by now. The intro series is great, but you have to get people in it or it?s worthless. You can fill these class series using a number of different methods:[ol]
[li]Every new-to-yoga person who calls or walks in for info should be signed up for one.[/li][li]You should give special coupons to business alliances (Listen to the Home Study Success Program session #7 for a description of how to create these).[/li][li]Have teachers announce the program in existing classes and give out coupons to students to give to people they know[/li][li]Include a coupon for it in your Welcome Folder (Listen to the Home Study Success Program session #4 for details on this).[/ol][B]You may also consider having weekly free intro to yoga classes[/B] (the same class given once a week). At the end of this class, you give people the chance to sign up for the 4-week beginner series at the special price. Free classes can often be promoted free of charge in the ?community events? sections of many newspapers, announced on local radio stations and have fliers hung in local businesses. The key is that because it is a free class, it can be promoted free of charge. This is just an option ? you?ll need to gauge what works for your studio.[/li] [B]So there you have it. One of the best ways to bring ? and keep ? new students.[/B] This process can easily bring an ongoing flow of new students into your studio. I discuss more detail about this process in the Members Only Program and the Home Study Success Program (See sidebar to the right). But regardless of how you get the guidance you need to implement this type of an introductory yoga series, it may very well form the foundation of the attraction of new students to your studio.
My very best wishes to you for the holidays.

Namaste,
Coach Al
[B]About Coach Al:[/B]
Al Lipper is a master business coach, business teacher and writer. For free information on running a yoga studio as a successful and fun business, visit [U]www.CenteredBusiness.com[/U]. To learn more about Al?s one-on-one coaching programs, contact him at [U]al@CenteredBusiness.com[/U].

[B]Do you remember the first time you went to a gym?[/B]

[B]I could really relate when Grace recently shared her experience[/B] ? my guess is that you probably can too…and maybe even your students. In a minute I?ll give you a technique that will ensure that your studio feels like just the right place for new students (some who would never have even come to your studio before), but let?s first hear Grace?s story. Here?s how she put it:

?[B]I signed up for this introductory special, a one month gym membership for just $30.[/B] I was determined to get into shape for the holidays. I put on my new workout outfit and confidently marched into the main workout room. But then, I stopped short. I was surrounded by weight machines and treadmills and Stairmasters, all with people busily working out on them. They all seemed to know just what they were doing. But I had no idea of what machine to start with, let alone how to use any of them. Sure, I wanted to get in shape, but didn?t know where to start. What made things worse was that I was afraid that I would try a machine and not know how to use it ? you know, get on a treadmill and have it zip up to 20 MPH with me hanging on for dear life. I thought about just turning around and leaving for a moment. Finally, a really nice guy asked me if I needed help and got me going on a stationary bike ? If not for him, I probably never would have come back.?

[B]Thanks for sharing, Grace. But what does this have to do with your yoga studio?[/B] EVERYTHING! At many studios, each time a new student ? one who is totally new to yoga ? walks into an ongoing ?Beginner? class, they have the potential to feel like Grace did. Sure, your studio is a much warmer and more hospitable place than most gyms, but what really counts is that student?s experience in that moment. If they [I]feel[/I] like they don?t know what they are doing, then it doesn?t matter what the reality of your studio is, for them, they are lost and alone and self-conscious. They are sure they will embarrass themselves by trying yoga.

[B]In fact, many would-be students will never even come to your studio[/B] because they are so afraid that this will happen!

[U][B]The Solution[/B][/U]
[B]To solve the problem[/B], we first have to understand it. New students, and potential new students (those who think they might like to try yoga, but are afraid that there is never a right time to start, and even if they decided to, they wouldn?t want to end up looking dumb trying to do yoga poses around people who already knew how) need to feel really comfortable.
[B]The key is to give them a place to start[/B] that clearly says ?If you have never done yoga before, start here!? The best method I?ve found for doing this is to create a beginner mini-series. This is a series of 4 or 6 weekly classes that are for people who have never done yoga before (or maybe just a couple of times). When potential new students see such a class, they suddenly lose their worries because it gives them:[ul]
[li]A definite place to begin (They don?t see it as jumping on a moving treadmill like they do an ongoing beginner class)[/li][li]An assurance that no one else in the class is any better at yoga than they are (they won?t feel dumb trying to do poses that everyone else knows)[/li][li]A clear path to follow (It meets once a week for 4 weeks. They don?t need to figure out when to go or how often to go)[/li][li]A finite ending place (A feeling that at the end of it they will have had a full and complete intro to yoga)[/li][li]The potential to meet others who are in a similar place in life as them (We often tend to think that others who are beginning the same activity as us have other things in common. This makes us feel like we belong.)[/ul][B]There are even more benefits, [/B]but these are some key ones.[/li] [B]But you want these students to become ongoing students after the intro series. Here?s how. [/B]It?s actually part of the process. The intro class is a combination of asanas and brief presentations about yoga. It consists of the following components (it?s not just yoga):[ol]
[li]It should be taught by a teacher who is really engaging and charismatic ? often these are the ones who have totally packed classes. It needn?t be a teacher who is good at the advanced stuff.[/li][li]Give an initial presentation on some of the benefits that people get from doing yoga (Weight loss, stress relief, etc.) Remember, most people are primarily concerned with ?What?s in it for me?? You want to be sure that people come back after the first class session.[/li][li]Some presentation on some history of yoga (very little). Just enough to let them know it?s well established and been proven over many years. Also mention some well-known people who practice yoga (TV and movie stars, public figures, etc.)[/li][li]Easy, comfortable yoga, for about 65-80% of each class (the rest is presentation).[/li][li]Classes that are 45-60 minutes long (keep them short at first).[/li][li]Classes that meet weekly (More often is too much for may people who are not yet sure if yoga is for them).[/li][li]A special offer to continue at the end of the last session. Something like ?One month unlimited for only $49 for the first month? They must sign up right then and there (no coming back the next day). They must sign up for auto-renew and the price goes back to normal at the end of the first month. Of course they can cancel at any time prior to the automatic renewal.[/li][li]A price that is irresistible. Probably $25-$30 for a 4-class series. Let them know this is a special discount off the regular price of $50 or $60. Few people will actually pay full price, but you wouldn?t have any other 4-class workshop offered so inexpensively, so let them know this is a special deal.[/li][li]Have one intro series each month (more if they are filling up ? they can overlap)[/ol]Continue to Page 2[/li]
Namaste,
Coach Al
[B]About Coach Al:[/B]
Al Lipper is a master business coach, business teacher and writer. For free information on running a yoga studio as a successful and fun business, visit [U]www.CenteredBusiness.com[/U]. To learn more about Al?s one-on-one coaching programs, contact him at [U]al@CenteredBusiness.com[/U].